What "others" are in the mail?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Giygas

Re: What "others" are in the mail?

Post by Giygas »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:34 pm

I have a Spyderco Hungarian I would not dare to carry or cut with and give it micro scratches (because it happens on ALL my knives lol), but when I bought a Large 31 w/ micarta inlay in Magnacut, I had no trouble immediately carrying and sharpening the knife. Cost me more than 4 times the price I paid for the Hungarian. These knives are a kid's dream. Once you get one in hand you better have something suitable to cut around, or you'll start acting like an 8 years old with a box of matches :squinting-tongue
I'd love to know the psychology behind this, because I do the same exact thing!

Ive done all kinds of dumb things over the years with my CRKs and Hinderers (and more recently CKFs) but I have a couple Spydercos that cost a small fraction of those, that I'll never actually use.

I agree completely with Rick about the Inkosi vs the Umnumzaan. On paper, the Umnumzaan should be the knife I prefer but the Insingo blade Large Inkosi is my favorite CRK.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Yeah I love the Inkosi Insingo blade for EDC. The blade shape is close to a Wharncliffe which I think is great in that EDC roll. It has a very thin tip for piercing. I would probably say it is my favorite overall knife. I like how robust the Inkosi is built. Between the oversized washers to the oversized floating stop pin. It is a thin compact tank. The Inkosi also breaks down and reassembles like a dream. It all fits back together so tightly. It seems like it is their most advanced and overbuilt model to me. And cuts great too with the hollow grind. I love it so much that I want to grab one with a drop point and Micarta to have a stronger tip. I've thought about their other models for that, but I just love the simplicity and build of the Inkosi.

Edit to add: the ergos work great for me with the finger grooves. And I love the slow roll smooth as butter open and closing feel.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

See, I knew Jeff would have more to add! ;) :party-face
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Quiet Carry Large Drift
Rough Ryder Reserve Hippo Toe
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:32 am
Hmm. that's interesting about the vertical play. I've never checked mine for it, now I'm probably NOT going to because I don't want to think of a flaw in any of those knives haha!

I know the Zaan has a cult like following, but If I'm being honest with myself, I like the Large Inkosi with the Insingo blade best of the bunch. It's actually my favorite non Spyderco knife that I own. It's so incredibly smooth, absolutely LOVE the sound of the lock up, ergos are fantastic (like a Manix, but thinner handle) You get so much cutting edge as well. I know our buddy Jeff has one that he seems to carry often and loves it as well, maybe he can chime in with some other factors that he loves about his.
It's not really a flaw, just that the locking interface is something that can move. I spine whacked the poopoo out of my small 31 and nothing happened. Considering I won't attack people from rooftops with it, I think I'll be fine !
Yeah. If I ever buy a Zaan, it's just to complete the different models CRK offers. I always thought I'd prefer the Large Sebenza Insingo but my Large Inkosi is carried much more than my Seb, so... Large Insingo Inkosi in MC would be perfect. With or without inlays, in France it's more a question of availability than anything else :squinting-tongue
JSumm wrote: Yeah I love the Inkosi Insingo blade for EDC. The blade shape is close to a Wharncliffe which I think is great in that EDC roll. It has a very thin tip for piercing. I would probably say it is my favorite overall knife. I like how robust the Inkosi is built. Between the oversized washers to the oversized floating stop pin. It is a thin compact tank. The Inkosi also breaks down and reassembles like a dream. It all fits back together so tightly. It seems like it is their most advanced and overbuilt model to me. And cuts great too with the hollow grind. I love it so much that I want to grab one with a drop point and Micarta to have a stronger tip. I've thought about their other models for that, but I just love the simplicity and build of the Inkosi.

Edit to add: the ergos work great for me with the finger grooves. And I love the slow roll smooth as butter open and closing feel.
I'm a partisan of "as thin BTE as possible", but even in drop point configurations, the Inkosi slowly won me over ! And I know the Insingo blade shape is even better, I can't wait to be able to get my hands on one ! Found one used (like new) but they ask 700€ for a S45VN version.

My Inkosi is in that steel and it's pretty ok, I just don't like how it acts with a polished edge :grin-sweat
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

I've got a Kershaw Livewire in the mail. First OTF I've purchased.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

The new Giantmouse Ace Biblio XL is inbound. Got the Ti/v4e one.
--Jeremy
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Wallach wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:07 pm
Let us know what you think of the Livewire. Action? Ergos? Sound?

I got my first OTF, a BM Shootout, last week. I love the blade shape and the handle ergos. Only negative is the sound it makes when it fires, kind of a ker-chunk plasticy sound. I bet a metal-bodied OTF sounds better. The button does take some effort to push. I like the seafoam green. EK Knives offered a great price. They were a pleasure to do business with.
- Richard
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Guys, I ordered a Helle Nord this morning from KSF. I had some points and.it worked out nicely.
I hadn't even known that Helle was now making full tang blades. And, this Nord seems really nice. Also has some very favorable reviews. It's a big knife at I believe 5.8" long and those Helle's get really sharp. I liked the videos on it. It's just a really nice looking blade. Helle really does make some nice blades. I once owend a Helle Jegermiester?
At any rate, I'll post up some pice when I get it.
Below is a stock photo. If anyone here in Spyderville owns or has owned one, please lemme know how you like it and post a pic please!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Should be in soon .Microtech MSI Apocalyptic,PE . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
miohin

Post by miohin »

Cold Steel SRK on the way thanks to vivi posting in the "other" deals thread.
Lurker
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

riclaw wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:28 pm
Wallach wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:07 pm
Let us know what you think of the Livewire. Action? Ergos? Sound?

I got my first OTF, a BM Shootout, last week. I love the blade shape and the handle ergos. Only negative is the sound it makes when it fires, kind of a ker-chunk plasticy sound. I bet a metal-bodied OTF sounds better. The button does take some effort to push. I like the seafoam green. EK Knives offered a great price. They were a pleasure to do business with.

Just got here today. First impressions - I like the size, I thought it was going to be a bit bigger than it is in person (that's what she said). Only other OTF I've really handled that I remember is the Ultratech, which this definitely reminds me of. The button is definitely not as hard to activate as the Ultratech, nor is it as sharply milled. Sound is great, though louder than what I'm used to. Love the anodized finish, it is a bit grippier than a lot of anodized aluminum I've handled, but is super bright and clean looking.
vivi

Post by vivi »

miohin wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:16 pm
Cold Steel SRK on the way thanks to vivi posting in the "other" deals thread.
good choice. I've got a bunch or I would have picked up another too.

I've got an XL Voyager, Black Bear machete and Frenzy on the way. The Frenzy always caught my eye and I couldn't pass up $64. I don't even see used ones sell that cheap.

Black Bear will be interesting too. It's a few inches longer than my dogfather but still small enough to toss in a pack if I want.
:unicorn
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:55 pm
Image Should be in soon .Microtech MSI Apocalyptic,PE . Dan
Wow Dan! Nice one 😎
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

GEC Urban Jack! Love to carry a traditional and a modern.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:07 pm
You've got to get a CRK in hand, to really understand. It's a feel kind of thing. Nothing about these seem done wrong! I've bought and sold A LOT of knives during my time here, I've only sold 1 CRK and that was to a member here that was itching to try one for himself. I believe he still has it! These babies aren't going anywhere :cheap-sunglasses

It's a nice collection there. Glad you got in on a now rare polished Seb. I've regretted every CRK I've ever sold. Surprised you still don't have a L31 Insingo though. Or a Hinderer for that matter :winking-tongue

While I'm here I guess I should add that I have a second WE Mini Buster (stone washed) in the mail. Freaking amazing knife with a CRK like lock/detent interface, Shiro like double row bearings, and internal milling to rival the best. Oh, and that wharnie grind slices like a champ. Only thing I don't like is a milled pocket clip, but it works better than most.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

HA! I've been on the hunt the past few weeks for Hinderer XM-3, but also been looking at XM-3.5's as they seem to be a bit easier to find. I'm feeling pretty picky about what I want though (Non flipper, slicer style blade, bronze or black, preferably a black or stonewashed blade) I've found a few on ebay, but I'm not paying those prices!

I must be an odd ball with the CRK's. Something about the Large 31 I don't love, not sure what it is! I had a PJ and also the one with the Box Elder inlays (so I guess I lied in the post above, I've sold two!) I absolutely love the Large Inkosi, so I can't see a 31 even with the Insingo blade taking it's spot. The collection really would look more well rounded with a Large 31 though :thinking

Yes, very grateful to have the polished Small 31!! That was the first CRK I bought after PM'ing with you back and forth a few years ago. That $500 price tag back then doesn't feel so bad now, seeing what they go for these days :spiral-eyes

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
JSumm wrote:
Well, you guys pushed me over the edge. Could not find one in MagnaCut but I found a Large Insingo Inkosi with black micarta inlays in S45VN.

Proceeding with payment tonight :winking-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:21 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
JSumm wrote:
Well, you guys pushed me over the edge. Could not find one in MagnaCut but I found a Large Insingo Inkosi with black micarta inlays in S45VN.

Proceeding with payment tonight :winking-tongue
Nice choice! Mine is the "lowly" S35VN. Doesn't hold the greatest edge, but very easy to work with when it comes to sharpening. Currently so sharp, I kind of don't even want to use it haha!

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:24 pm
Nice choice! Mine is the "lowly" S35VN. Doesn't hold the greatest edge, but very easy to work with when it comes to sharpening. Currently so sharp, I kind of don't even want to use it haha!
I've noticed that their S35VN wasn't the coolest steel ever, Spyderco's different. But their S45VN served me well on my Drop point Inkosi, so I'm happy with that :smiling-halo :smiling-hearts