Benchmade Knife Company

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Benchmade Knife Company

Post by kennethsime »

I searched around, and while there were a few threads for specific models, and quite a few threads slinging mud, I couldn’t find an inclusive, positive thread for discussing Benchmade knives.

Lets allow this thread to be just that, much like some of the other well-loved threads for other makers here.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Re: Benchmade Knife Company

Post by kennethsime »

First major bit of news, they’re bringing back the McHenry & Williams 710, the original Axis lock knife. Man, I’m stoked on this one, and I really hope that DLT tries to get an exclusive (or that I can otherwise get one in green).

When I was selling knives in college, they had juuust discontinued this one - I think we had a sequel kicking around in inventory. I strongly considered it against the 940 and the Stretch that I ended up going with as my first premium edc knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I'll definitely be getting the S90V version. It'll be the first new Benchmade I've bought since the Anthem.

I carried a 940 for most of my time in the military, so I'll probably always have this innate fondness for them, but they just haven't released much that's interested me in the better part of the last decade.

They can make some amazing titanium linerlocks (425/426 and 757, for example). I'd love to see them go that route again.

Their frame locks are good, too. The 761 is one of my all time favorite knives.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I used to be really into Benchmades - at least as much as Spyderco; I was probably 1:1 with purchases. When I first started getting into slightly nicer (not made in China or Pakistan) knives, I took a spread approach and bought an Endura, a Benchmade 710, a Kershaw Shallot, and a SOG Trident (back when SOG was still mostly Japan and Taiwan production). At the time I felt the 710 was the winner out of that bunch.

I was - and am - a really big fan of that kind of "first generation" of Axis lock designs, in particular the 710, 730, 615, 806, but I also love to see old 72x, 930, 960, 941/943 still around. And I have a couple other personal favorites, like the 525, or the 581/586 (which cut really well with relatively thin, high flat ground M390 blades). Amusingly, the mini and full-size Griptilian and 940 Osborne, the only ones still in the lineup, never really clicked for me, though I did own multiples of each in the past.

Here's my top three classics, top to bottom 710DLC-1, 730-1202 "Ares", 615 "Mini Rukus":

Unfortunately Benchmade got pretty aggressive with pricing when they implemented their MAP policy. They also stopped doing as many of the small run dealer exclusives around then, and I haven't been too crazy about many of the newer designs. I will probably try a Bugout at some point and my wife pointed out the Mini Crooked River last time we were in an outdoors store, but it's been a long time since I've actually bought a new one. Sadly their forum, which used to be quite active, has also slowed down a lot from what I remember.

All that said, I still keep an eye on what they're releasing and have recently been keeping a close eye out for deals on gentle users over on the Bladeforums exchange. I'm thrilled to see the 710 coming back and I'm looking forward to see what else they do 👍🦋
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
vivi

Post by vivi »

I always wanted to like the 710 but for my grip the thumb ramp killed it. The point of the thumb ramp is right where my thumb naturally rests. I compared a G10/D2 710 against a Military and in some ways I actually preferred the BM, but ergonomics alone made the spydie win that one out.

Benchmade is responsible for me being here. I was into $30 and under models back in the 90's. Buck 110's on sale, SAKs, BudK junk, etc. I saw a Benchmade stand in my local camping store and asked to handle a Skirmish. I felt the quality difference immediately. Thanked the clerk and said I'm gonna do more research before I decide on a BM. After doing more research I decided I'd try Spyderco instead, since they came up with the opening method that BM used.

These days I don't have any of their knives in my collection, but I do somewhat regret selling my old full sized Rukus. That's my favorite design I've used from them.

I did end up getting a Skirmish at some point, but tip down only carry, weight and pocket bulk made me decide against keeping it. Got some photos somewhere on an old HDD.

Another one I had was the 425 Gravitator. It was kind of like a Yojumbo before those became a thing.

With their current pricing I don't see myself ever getting back into them. My whole life I've kept a $200 limit on cutting tools, and it has served me well. I've been able to fill every need and even every want I've had. I'm not sure BM even makes models in that price range these days, besides maybe the lowest tier mini bugout or something. Not to derail the thread but that's one reason I got hard into cold steel lately. I can get a G10/S35VN stout lockback for under $75 (recon 1's on sale), a beefy 5mm thick lockback for $30 (sr1), etc.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Here's some more pics -

581, de-assisted

525BK-1101 (M4 blade LE)

707-1201 and 707BK-1201 (M390 blade LE). The 707 doesn't really work that well for me vs a 525, 586, or Delica, so I sold the BK-1201 a while back. Perfect color and material choice for this run though so I couldn't let the satin go.

908BK-1501 (M4 blade LE)

Current Ares lineup - 732, 730-1202 (M390 LE), 730-1303 (S30V LE)

730-1202 with 730BK-1203 (also M390) that I really regret selling (I was in grad school, money was tight...CF/M390 Military also went out the door with it, also heavily regretted).

Some G10 Griptilian LEs, nicer than plastic but still not really my thing. Maybe would've kept the -1301 but, grad school. 551BK-1301 (SHOT LE, M4 blade, black/red G10 scales), 551-1401 (REI exclusive, S30V blade, green/black G10 scales), 551BK-LE (some kind of Law Enforcement LE, confusing name, X-15TN blade coated then stonewashed, blue/black G10 scales, star on the pocket clip)

Current 710 lineup - 710D2, 710-3 (M4 blade LE), 710DLC-1 (M390 blade LE), 2x 710-1401 (M390 blade dealer exclusive, one RIT dyed navy)

Used to have a 710-2 in there but they didn't crown those blades like the -1 so sold that to someone who wanted the full line and eventually bought extra -1401s on closeout 🤷‍♂️

806D2 - FFG regrind by Josh at REK a while back. Closes the gap to the Military a bit in cutting performance.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a few Benchmades. They were my brand until I got a Caly3 and that was that. They make good knives. The steel is run a little soft sometimes, but most of their offerings are pretty fine.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I love my tagged out and infidel!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

My first "nice knife" that wasn't a Buck or Case was a Benchmade 3550. My second was also a Benchmade, 330. Tried to love a few after that including the 710 and 940, but it wasn't until the Bugout that I felt like Benchmade was back in my life. Now the Narrows has really pushed the limit of what is possible, and I've hung onto an M4 Stryker as well as a large and small Super Freek in M4. Still waiting for a Bugout XL (not Bailout).
James Y

Post by James Y »

Although I haven't bought a Benchmade knife since 2004, I have had mostly very good experiences with the ones I have.

I got the AFCK back in 1998, which I carried a fair amount. I liked the original 710, of which I own 3. But my favorite Benchmade was the 805 (Axis TSEK), which was based on the AFCK design, but the blade was slicier. The blade is 440C, but I liked Benchmade's 440C, and it sharpened up easily. That was my main EDC for a couple of years.

The one time I did have a warranty issue (with my first AFCK), they handled it really well, so I had no complaints there.

Jim
xnmw

Post by xnmw »

$600, $1500.... geez. My 710 is beat to **** but I'll have to wait to see the street prices on these new ones. Kinda wish it was exactly like the old 710--not sure how I feel about the changes. If I could get a reblade in DLC Magnacut, then we'd be talking...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I remember. In the spirit of shiny footprints, that's all I'm going to say.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:54 am
Although I haven't bought a Benchmade knife since 2004, I have had mostly very good experiences with the ones I have.

I got the AFCK back in 1998, which I carried a fair amount. I liked the original 710, of which I own 3. But my favorite Benchmade was the 805 (Axis TSEK), which was based on the AFCK design, but the blade was slicier. The blade is 440C, but I liked Benchmade's 440C, and it sharpened up easily. That was my main EDC for a couple of years.

The one time I did have a warranty issue (with my first AFCK), they handled it really well, so I had no complaints there.

Jim
I agree James , liked the 805 TSEK better than the 710 . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

My all-time favorite is the M390/aluminum Bugout 535BK-4. The materials, design, and craftsmanship are superb.

When I've called Customer Care to get a different pocket clip or send in a knife for sharpening, the reps have always been both polite and helpful.
- Richard
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Sold my bugout and Griptilian. The one I kept is the Freek in M4. Love M4 steel and how the Freek grips in the hand. The Osbourne never appealed to me. Would love to have the Adamas in Magnacut and the Bailout in M4.
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

This looks really cool. Hope Spyderco makes a little fixed blade to compete.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I only have the Bugout, Bushcrafter, Foray, Griptilian, Mini-Ascent, Mini-Griptilian, Mini-Onslaught, Mini-Presidio, and Ti Mini-Monolock.

My favorite among these are the ones with thumb hole opening.

Some photos...
mini onslaught 01.jpg
griptilian_20cv.jpg
bushcrafter_01.jpg