SPYDERCO EDGE ANGLE GUIDE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PaloArt

SPYDERCO EDGE ANGLE GUIDE

Post by PaloArt »

Dear all,

I stumbled upon discontinued product that made me very curious. It is, as the name of the topic suggests, Spyderco Edge Angle Guide aka AG1. Does anyone know, if this handy tool is ever coming back? Was there lack of interest from customers? Would anyone be interested in it`s return?

https://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=583

I do not know how this product avoided my attention as I am member of the forums since circa 2007.

If Sal, Eric or Mike would chime in, that would be great.

Take care, stay safe.
JD Spydo

Re: SPYDERCO EDGE ANGLE GUIDE

Post by JD Spydo »

I do distinctly remember when that "Angle Guide" was in their product catalog. I never got the chance to pull the trigger on it regretfully. I heard that there was very little interest in that angle guide and it wasn't long until it was discontinued.

Another product that they had back in the late 90s was that Galley V Sharpening kit which also died from lack of interest. I luckily landed one of those just shortly after it was discontinued. I also was able to buy a few of the extra stones that came with it.

It seems like every item that Spyderco ends up trying to market has an interesting story behind it. I haven't heard the story on that Angle Guide except that it didn't sell very well.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:24 am
I do distinctly remember when that "Angle Guide" was in their product catalog. I never got the chance to pull the trigger on it regretfully. I heard that there was very little interest in that angle guide and it wasn't long until it was discontinued.

Another product that they had back in the late 90s was that Galley V Sharpening kit which also died from lack of interest. I luckily landed one of those just shortly after it was discontinued. I also was able to buy a few of the extra stones that came with it.

It seems like every item that Spyderco ends up trying to market has an interesting story behind it. I haven't heard the story on that Angle Guide except that it didn't sell very well.
Well this is very interesting story as well JD! Original Galley V is somehow different from the new one (can`t find photo of old one)?

Discontinued products somehow raise my interest, what would have considered of less value to me in a past makes me now long for it - like the Edge Angle Guide for example.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It was an interesting idea, actually a guage rather than a guide. Back when my eyes were younger I could use it, more or less. These days, I'd need four hands to hold the knife, the guage, a loupe and a flashlight. As I recall, they made one run and lost money on it. Then the person who had the original idea that was developed into that final product years later resurfaced demanding his cut of the profits. Sal offered to send him a bill for his share of the losses. I doubt you'll see another run.

I still have mine laying around somewhere, and I remember seeing one of the Spydercrew wearing one as a necklace at a seconds sale years ago.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Interesting that originally it was only $19.95

And just today one of the Spyderco Edge Angle Guides was sold on Ebay auction for $355.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166552579014?m ... media=COPY
phaust

Post by phaust »

Sal posted in the original discussion thread that there wasn't enough interest

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44969
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

JD Spydo wrote:
The story is simple, you can read it here:
https://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/5/218245.html

You just need to use a translator.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

DerRock wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:44 am
JD Spydo wrote:
The story is simple, you can read it here:
https://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/5/218245.html

You just need to use a translator.
Awesome story!🔥