New Sprint Run Hopefuls to Consider

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mreagan

Re: New Sprint Run Hopefuls to Consider

Post by mreagan »

I'd love to see a working man's Nirvana. In teh meantime, I am pretty excited to the SpyMyto hopefully drop soon.
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

An original temperance.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Tristan_david2001

A caly 3.5 in nicely chamfered black linen micarta and a sanmai blade, 420j2 and super blue or some other high carbon steel. That’d be a good one.
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
cjk

Post by cjk »

Schempp NAVAJA or Schempp Bowie preferably in CruWear.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:07 pm
An original temperance.
If you're talking about the fixed blade TEMP 1 model then I will give you a HIGH FIVE on that one. To this day that TEMP 1 is still one of my very favorite Spyderco fixed blades if not my very favorite. Also it's one of the very few Spyderco fixed blades that was offered in PE & SE both.

If we could get Mr. Glesser's attention on that one it would really make me extremely happy. After all it is one of their great IN HOUSE designs.
Tristan_david2001

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:48 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
An original temperance.
If you're talking about the fixed blade TEMP 1 model then I will give you a HIGH FIVE on that one. To this day that TEMP 1 is still one of my very favorite Spyderco fixed blades if not my very favorite. Also it's one of the very few Spyderco fixed blades that was offered in PE & SE both.

If we could get Mr. Glesser's attention on that one it would really make me extremely happy. After all it is one of their great IN HOUSE designs.
Just phenomenal handle ergonomics, the best I’ve held admittedly, I’m curious to try a temp 2 someday to see how they compare. But I think the cokebottle shaping is more exaggerated on the original temp). a signature sal leaf blade geometry that just works and cuts with a lot of versatility. It’s a shame I abused mine. They’re very rare to find so a new sprintrun would make me very happy.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:21 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
An original temperance.

Just phenomenal handle ergonomics, the best I’ve held admittedly, I’m curious to try a temp 2 someday to see how they compare. But I think the cokebottle shaping is more exaggerated on the original temp). a signature sal leaf blade geometry that just works and cuts with a lot of versatility. It’s a shame I abused mine. They’re very rare to find so a new sprintrun would make me very happy.
Dude I've had both the TEMP1 and the TEMP2. I actually like the TEMP 1 better than I did the TEMP 2. And the TEMP 2 was a well crafted blade so please don't misunderstand me. But your observation about the handle ergonomics is spot on. It fits my hand like a custom made glove. I've kept the PE and SE units both over the years and there is hardly a week that goes by that I don't use at least one of them. The Temp 1 is also an excellent kitchen knife in many respects.

The TEMP 1 is a Sprint Run we should go for. And with it being a Spyderco IN HOUSE design I doubt if there would be any hurdles that they would have to clear. I'm not certain as to which Japanese Knife company that they did the TEMP 1 with. But I think that would be easy compared to a collaboration. I've also said many times in the past that they should consider doing the TEMP 1 in SE & PE in the Salt Series with a corrosion resistant blade. Just think of the outdoor market potential.
Tristan_david2001

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:27 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
An original temperance.

Dude I've had both the TEMP1 and the TEMP2. I actually like the TEMP 1 better than I did the TEMP 2. And the TEMP 2 was a well crafted blade so please don't misunderstand me. But your observation about the handle ergonomics is spot on. It fits my hand like a custom made glove. I've kept the PE and SE units both over the years and there is hardly a week that goes by that I don't use at least one of them. The Temp 1 is also an excellent kitchen knife in many respects.

The TEMP 1 is a Sprint Run we should go for. And with it being a Spyderco IN HOUSE design I doubt if there would be any hurdles that they would have to clear. I'm not certain as to which Japanese Knife company that they did the TEMP 1 with. But I think that would be easy compared to a collaboration. I've also said many times in the past that they should consider doing the TEMP 1 in SE & PE in the Salt Series with a corrosion resistant blade. Just think of the outdoor market potential.
I’m pretty certain the Temp 1 and 2 were made in the Moki factory! An easy way to spot if a spyderco was made in Moki is if “spyderco” is engraved in the signature company font, and it just says “Japan” instead of seki-city. Could be part of the reason we haven’t seen the temp back in a while, Moki was having manufacturing capacity issues, also the reason why we haven’t seen much from Caly series in a while either.
Thank you for sharing how much enjoy this model too JD 👊
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:36 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

I’m pretty certain the Temp 1 and 2 were made in the Moki factory! An easy way to spot if a spyderco was made in Moki is if “spyderco” is engraved in the signature company font, and it just says “Japan” instead of seki-city. Could be part of the reason we haven’t seen the temp back in a while, Moki was having manufacturing capacity issues, also the reason why we haven’t seen much from Caly series in a while either.
YES to all of that you mentioned. I agree it must be a MOKI unit. But that's not a bad thing at all. Actually I like their quality overall. I remember a few people didn't like the BLADE-TECH sheath. But I actually thought mine was easy to use and easy to maintain. The more I play with mine I would love to see one made with either 3V or K390. Of if they did elect to do a Salt Series version the LC200N would be fine with me. But I'm open to other suggestions.
Tristan_david2001

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:08 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:36 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tristan_david2001 wrote:

YES to all of that you mentioned. I agree it must be a MOKI unit. But that's not a bad thing at all. Actually I like their quality overall. I remember a few people didn't like the BLADE-TECH sheath. But I actually thought mine was easy to use and easy to maintain. The more I play with mine I would love to see one made with either 3V or K390. Of if they did elect to do a Salt Series version the LC200N would be fine with me. But I'm open to other suggestions.
Moki does execute incredible quality, fix and finish, lockbacks etc. my kopa is the best feeling lockback I’ve ever felt in terms of smooth action, tight lockup and self close tension, a must experience for yourself kinda thing.

But perhaps one downside is spyderco doesn’t feature the same amount of variety of steels from the Moki factory as they do in seki and golden. which personally is pretty ok with me, I’m satisfied with my vg10.
But k390 in the original temp would absolutely be real treat.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable could correct me but to my knowledge the only steels I know of that have been released out of Moki for spyderco are: aus-8, vg10, and zdp189…?
Tristan_david2001

IMO I think spyderco should consider sacrifice changing the maker of some of their best designs like the Calys and the temps to golden or somewhere it’s possible for the designs to be more readily in production. They’re just too good not to be.
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

I don't think the Slysz Bowie should be a Sprint Run knife. It should become a production knife like the CruCarta knives have become. Keep it in XHP steel.

Now once folks get their hands on it again, some sprint runs in other colors and steels would be nice. But quite frankly, XHP is a pretty good steel and regular Ti is nothing to sneeze at.

My other vote of course is for the SE SuperHawk.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

We need an AEB-L Military 2 in G-10 (probably a shade of brown a la the "Coyote Brown" Urban Sprint) with Shawn's heat-treatment that he concocted for the MULE. This is the model that we've been waiting for to see AEB-L officially introduced to the Golden line-up.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
curdog

Post by curdog »

Original temperance . Up graded steel
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

curdog wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:23 am
Original temperance . Up graded steel
You're preaching to a very devout choir here my friend. It was almost 20 years ago when I landed my first TEMPERANCE fixed blade and I still own it and use it frequently. And I use both edge types PE & SE both.

It was a really nice full flat grind VG-10 blade. But I'm now torn between wanting it in a Supersteel blade or wanting it in a Salt Series version. Both would be excellent. And with the TEMPERANCE being an IN HOUSE design I can't imagine how they could possible go wrong with it.

Like one Brother stated the handle Ergos on that TEMPERANCE model were truly near perfect. And the blade design was near perfect as well. I would welcome it with open arms to be sure if they would elect to do a Sprint Run. I think many new Spyderco fans would be all over it in a heartbeat.