Spyderco Models We Need In FULL SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco Models We Need In FULL SE

Post by JD Spydo »

I usually touch on this subject at least once a year. And we've gotten some really interesting results as to the models that folks would love to have in FULL SE. After all Spyderco really made their name and put themselves on the map by producing arguably the very best serrated blades of any knife company.

However in the past few years there has been a few models that many of us would have loved to have seen Fully Serrated. I'll list a few and I'm sure the rest of you will have a model or two that they would like to see with TEETH.

Some of the past models that I was disappointed when they never offered them in Full SE include: The SUPERHAWK, The C-111 Captain, The Breeden RESCUE and the TATANKA.

Also for years I've been hoping to see some of the great recurve models offered in full SE. Those include THE ULIZE, The KRIS, The SPYKER just to name a few. OK I'm sure you all have some of your favorite Spyderco models you would like to see with TEETH so tell us which ones they are.
Wartstein

Re: Spyderco Models We Need In FULL SE

Post by Wartstein »

I'd prefer pretty much every Spyderco model with teeth...
But especially for the Manix 2 (LW) it is about time imo.
And I've been wishing for a Chap SE quite a long time... glad we'll actually get that one!

Ah, and please teeth for the VG10 ffg regular blade shape Endura ...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I've always thought the Ouroboros would have been outstanding in SE.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:11 am
And I've been wishing for a Chap SE quite a long time... glad we'll actually get that one!

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... -FRN--1559
Edit that's sabre grind sorry
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wartstein wrote:

When I first got enticed by Spyderco's finest almost every model was available in PE & SE (mid to late 90s). A few of the fixed blades were only available in PE in the early 2000s. And very few Spyderco fixed blades are available with TEETH.

And I do agree with both of your selections by the way.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dsvirsky wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:44 am
Yeah that would have been quite interesting. I also wondered why the ARK model wasn't offered with teeth as well????

Yeah more fixed blade Spyders need teeth for sure. Which is why my TEMP 1 in SE is still one of my favorite all time fixed blades.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I would love to see more hollow (or at least saber) ground SE blades - in particular other steels than H1/H2. But I am very much looking forward to the SE Chap. It is a pleasant surprise and my hat is off to Spyderco for that.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

x2 with Wartstein on the Manix LW.

I'd love to see the Lil Temp LW k390 with teeth, the vg-10 version is stellar. Also aware the Lil Temp isn't a barn burner in sales so it'll never happen.

Is there anything in Spy27 that is SE? I know not every steel can be utilized for a SE if they're too brittle etc. Spy27 really is a sweetheart of a steel though and seems like it would really shine in a SE.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:58 am
dsvirsky wrote:
Yeah that would have been quite interesting. I also wondered why the ARK model wasn't offered with teeth as well????
While the initial release of the ARK was PE only, a fully serrated version was produced (and then discontinued). Outstanding little cutter.
R100

Post by R100 »

I would particularly like a Gayle Bradley 2 in SE.

Dan
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

R100 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:46 pm
I would particularly like a Gayle Bradley 2 in SE.

Dan
True, that high hollow grind must be great with teeth.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dsvirsky wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:26 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
dsvirsky wrote:
While the initial release of the ARK was PE only, a fully serrated version was produced (and then discontinued). Outstanding little cutter.
I would most definitely love to see a Serrated version of the ARK model. That would be one interesting hard use blade in SE.

The ARK is one of at least 15 models that Spyderco did in PE only. That would be a very interesting blade in SE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Matus wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:34 pm
I would love to see more hollow (or at least saber) ground SE blades - in particular other steels than H1/H2. But I am very much looking forward to the SE Chap. It is a pleasant surprise and my hat is off to Spyderco for that.
Oh I hear you loud and clear. But I do think that the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob in SE was a great example of what you're asking for.

I also would like to see another CATCHERMAN in full SE. The AUS-8 version of the CATCHERMAN in full SE is one of my very favorite kitchen knives.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:26 pm
dsvirsky wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:26 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
dsvirsky wrote:
I would most definitely love to see a Serrated version of the ARK model. That would be one interesting hard use blade in SE.

The ARK is one of at least 15 models that Spyderco did in PE only. That would be a very interesting blade in SE.
Matus

Post by Matus »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:30 pm
Matus wrote:
Oh I hear you loud and clear. But I do think that the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob in SE was a great example of what you're asking for.

I also would like to see another CATCHERMAN in full SE. The AUS-8 version of the CATCHERMAN in full SE is one of my very favorite kitchen knives.
We are absolutely on the same page. Ayoob CruWear SE is a fantastic knife. I will never let mine go (and regularly consider getting a second one). And I hear you about the Catcherman. Full SE must be awesome.

In general - I am not saying that 'gentle' serrations (like of the Ayoob, for example) must be the perfect choice for every SE blade, but it really makes for an excellent general performer and it changed my mind on the utility abilities of a serrated blade.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Rather than just a specific model, there’s more to consider.

More steels. I’m specifically thinking of Spy27, CPM-4V, Cruwear, and REX45.
Serrated MagnaCut and K390 are two recent endeavors that I’m looking for more of.
Those four other steels are additions that I think would work well.
To name a model, I’m still hoping for a serrated Mule Team 2.

Thinner edges. Not just the lower end of SpyderEdge edge angles, but also thinner grinds.
One day I’d like to get/make a serrated custom knife with laser thin geometry, but it would be sweet if Spyderco approached 10 to 15 thousandths on some knives.
Maybe a SpyderEdge Performance Delica?

The Dodo exclusive was M4 with a serrated option. It’s an example of what I’m looking for as M4 and REX45 are basically the same. I wish I got one!

The upcoming serrated Chaparral is basically exactly what I’m looking for. I’ll get one, even though it’s a little small.

An example of a knife that may approach the geometry and materials I want could be a 4V Watu with some number of them being serrated.

Another that would be pretty cool would be a serrated Native Chief (LW?) in one or more of those steels.

The Bodacious is yet another candidate.
I’d like to postulate that there will be demand for several of the steels I’ve listed in this model, so maybe consider making a portion of each in SpyderEdge (if feasible).
I’ll be getting a SpyderEdge Bodacious when it becomes available, because I actually think highly of S30V, but there’s no way I would pass up another in one of my preferred steels.
A really cool knife would be a SpyderEdge or ComboEdge Bodacious in REX45, just saying.

Speaking of Combination edges, while I’m on team SpyderEdge, I’m also rooting for more of the combos. I do like them, and so does my Dad. The more knives come with a combo edge, the more options I have to replace or get as backups for him.

Im aware that serrations are not the bread and butter of the “knife community” at large, but they are often my preference; I know many ordinary people who use knives find them useful, and they ARE one of the things where Spyderco is absolutely #1.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Matus wrote:
I agree!
Imagine that one hollow ground Marbled CF CPM4V Manix exclusive, but in SpyderEdge.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:05 pm
Im aware that serrations are not the bread and butter of the “knife community” at large,
Sadly this is an understatement. Most makers ignore them entirely.

Good to see the Native Chief LW and Chaparral LW coming (eventually) in SE.

I do think SE is slightly less compelling now than when Spyderco was first producing knives. Back then not many people knew how to sharpen a knife. An SE knife lasts so much longer than PE if you aren’t sharpening.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Wartstein wrote:

This.

I think Spyderco missed the boat when they didn't give the Manix magnacut salt FS. Doh!
Justin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:09 pm
Matus wrote:
I agree!
Imagine that one hollow ground Marbled CF CPM4V Manix exclusive, but in SpyderEdge.
The Manix is not one of my personal favorites but I could go along with a full SE Manix but only if they were to do another full SE Military model. Now that the Military 2 is released it only makes sense to make at least one or two runs of them in full SE.

Also I'm not going to give up on my desire to see one of the recurve models done in full SE. I just know in my gut if you had a ULIZE, SPYKER or KRIS in full SE that it would be a mega-beast of a cutter.