New Sprint Run Hopefuls to Consider

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Aflac Duck

Re: New Sprint Run Hopefuls to Consider

Post by The Aflac Duck »

I’d love to see a Worker with some grey G10 and REX45.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

R100 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:55 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:07 am
I want a Kris

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=216

I don't know about this one. It looks like Tristan_david2001's Temperance after a heavy batonning session.

Dan
kriezek wrote: This looks like it touched the mirror in the Matrix one too many times. How do you even sharpen that?

While it looks very interesting, it would be low on my list of desires due to its less than practical nature.
:rofl

Those were good ones. It is a practical blade shape though. The curves add more edge length in a smaller package. The changing angles of the edge can aid in cutting like serration. Also it has some of the advantages of a hawkbill with the inner curve to gather material, and a skinner with the outer curve. As for sharpening, a sharpmaker would make easy work of it. I'll probably use my Wicked Edge. Anything but a wide stone should work. The WE stones are like a 1/2 inch wide. I sharpen Hawkbills and recurves with it all the time. Just did a Spyderco Zulu. You could use the flats of the Sharpmaker stone if you wanted.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:44 pm
I will keep tooting my horn for a Des Horn sprint! And a new DH design.
Yeah I missed the boat on that Des Horn model and have been looking to pick one up for years now. It was one of the few Wharnie models that I really loved the overall design.

Two other models from that era that I would also love to see return are the C-111 Captain ( SE ONLY) and the other Jason Breeden model being the Breeden RESCUE ( Also SE ONLY).

I've even wondered what a full SE version of the Des Horn would be like. But with the Des Horn I would want both edge types for sure.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:17 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:07 am
I want a Kris

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=216

Yes! A Lil Kris flash batch would be amazing too! :star-struck

Really though, ANY Ed Schempp sprint run would be highly desirable!

More Ed Schempp designs please!
It's funny because Evil D and I used to wonder which recurve would be best for full SE. He was stuck on the ULIZE and I myself would love to see the ULIZE with TEETH. But I can't help but wonder what a KRIS would be like with TEETH as well.

I'm sort of surprised that there hasn't been a Sprint Run of the KRIS. Similar to the G-10 Harpy the KRIS model also pops up in conversation quite a bit. The G-10 Harpy and the KRIS both get about equal requests it seems throughout the years.

Both being specialty type models I have no doubt that sales would not be a problem. At this point I wouldn't care which recurve model that they would do a Sprint Run of.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Hearing a lot of buzz about the Slysz Bowie.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Danke wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:00 pm
Lol. People will lose their minds
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Danke wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:00 pm
Yeah I think that the Slysz Bowie and the Kris would both be excellent for a Sprint Run. But I'm not giving up on a G-10 Handled HARPY model. We are just way overdue for a new G-10 HARPY.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Bow river in Lc200n or magnacut.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

How about the old Salsa with an upgraded steel from the AUS8 it originally came with?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DavidNM wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:03 am
How about the old Salsa with an upgraded steel from the AUS8 it originally came with?
One of the biggest regrets in my knife collecting career is when I traded both of my Titanium Salsa models. I truly wish I would have kept one even for a user. The Ti Salsa had ATS-34 blade steel instead of the AUS-8 which most of them had and the Ti Salsa really stood out in the vast Salsa selection.

I could go 100% for another Titanium Salsa. Now I did love the looks of the Cranberry Salsa too but the Titanium version was a hidden classic.
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:30 pm
DavidNM wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:03 am
One of the biggest regrets in my knife collecting career is when I traded both of my Titanium Salsa models. I truly wish I would have kept one even for a user. The Ti Salsa had ATS-34 blade steel instead of the AUS-8 which most of them had and the Ti Salsa really stood out in the vast Salsa selection.

I could go 100% for another Titanium Salsa. Now I did love the looks of the Cranberry Salsa too but the Titanium version was a hidden classic.
I would love to pick up a titanium Salsa!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK here's what we got up to this point. The most requested Sprint Run candidates are The Slysz Bowie, The KRIS, The G-10 HARPY, An SE Dodo, a Titanium SALSA, and an updated version of the C-56 Zowada.

These are all good quality selections. And all within reason. But maybe we should narrow it down to 2 or 3 models.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I dug up an old Hawkbill thread and after reading it I've decided to add a full SE SUPERHAWK to that list just above this post. I do believe that a full SE version of the SUPERHAWK would probably sell out extremely fast.

Again I could never understand why the SUPERHAWK was never offered in full SE from the get-go. It's high time to correct that oversight.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:49 am
I dug up an old Hawkbill thread and after reading it I've decided to add a full SE SUPERHAWK to that list just above this post. I do believe that a full SE version of the SUPERHAWK would probably sell out extremely fast.

Again I could never understand why the SUPERHAWK was never offered in full SE from the get-go. It's high time to correct that oversight.
I would be in favor of a revival of the Superhawk if it was offered in PE and SE . Actually the SE would be my first choice . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

Yeah, I’d love to see another titanium Salsa, with upgraded steel. More knives should have the cobra hood.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fine Swine wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:17 am
Yeah, I’d love to see another titanium Salsa, with upgraded steel. More knives should have the cobra hood.
Most interesting that you bring up the "Cobra Hood". Because there were a few models that I dearly loved with the Cobra Hood. My Assist I with the Carbide Glass Breaker along with my old Titanium ATR were two I dearly loved. And also the Titanium Salsa as well.

I would guess that "sales" were probably the culprit that probably spelled the demise of the Cobra Hood. Just a wild guess anyway. But for a Sprint Run of a certain model I sure wouldn't dismiss it either.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:54 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:49 am

I would be in favor of a revival of the Superhawk if it was offered in PE and SE . Actually the SE would be my first choice . MG2
Yeah Manixguy we probably need to start a thread on "Hawkbill uses" or something along those lines. Because to this day all the uses I've found for a plain edged Hawkbill I could name on one hand. And I do own a few of them. But very rarely ever use one for anything. But a serrated Hawkbill I truly think has endless amounts of uses I've discovered.

The Superhawk was kind of dead in the water from the get-go. With all the sales they had from full SE Hawkbill blades I'm still stumped as to why they only offered the Superhawk in PE only. If they were to do a Sprint Run of the SUPEHAWK in SE only I think they would marvel at the difference in sales.
4077th

Post by 4077th »

As is so eloquently stated on the FRN handle of the model we need to see another sprint run of: JESSHORNJESSHORNJESSHORN
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

4077th wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:49 pm
As is so eloquently stated on the FRN handle of the model we need to see another sprint run of: JESSHORNJESSHORNJESSHORN
I wouldn't all mind that 2006 Burgundy, ZDP-189 Jess Horn to come back again in a Sprint Run. That's another trade I wish I could take back. Along with my Delica with the ZDP-189 blade. Some of those earlier Sprint runs were some of the best. The Burgundy, ZDP-189 Caly JR. is one of my top 5 favorite Sprint Runs ever.

It would also be cool if Spyderco would do a remake of the C-27 Jess Horn which is my all time fav of all the Jess Horn models.
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

A sprint run of the old Spyderco Navigator II would be really nice to see happen.