Would a D'Allara 4 with CBBL interest anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cl1ff

Re: Would a D'Allara 4 with CBBL interest anyone?

Post by Cl1ff »

Yes, definitely!
The knife has a great history, and I’m surprised it isn’t more popular. A lot of potential for an update.

I’m fine with the “Bare” Ball Bearing Lock too, as long as it is easy to manipulate. I’ve never handled that version of the lock, so I don’t know.
I like the relative simplicity of not having a “cage”, though.

I would particularly enjoy an updated FRN version that kept the contouring, but with a current pocket clip. I think my Enuff 2 has proven to me that a contoured handle does not have to be bulky or heavy.
Spyderco has come a long way since their past contoured FRN folders like the D’Allara and Native. If they give it another go sometime, I would love to use that knife.

The hollow ground Rescue and Drop Point blades on the older models are more my style (especially the serrated ones).

When it comes down to it, I like knives with a self close, no choil, and several other things that seem to characterize the D’Allara design.
It came and went before I had a good opportunity to make use of one, unfortunately.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

p_atrick wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:29 am
What is the value in making a choil-less Manix (assuming they keep the Manix name)? Unfair or not, there is a perception that Spyderco just throws out the same models again and again. This could be exclusives and sprints of PM2 and Manix, a Military 2, etc. So "another" Manix (I use quotes because I know this change would be a big deal regardless of the name) might feed into this perception.

I'm interested in how the Bodacious does. We are seeing changes to a beloved model, but with a new name that befits all of the changes. Maybe that is the way to go with a choil-less Manix. I realize that this is all conjecture on my behalf.

If it follows the lines of the D'Allara but has a CBBL, it should be called a D'Allara 4.

I compared it with the Manix 2 because these models are close to each other in size and have similar lock types. However, I personally feel like the choil on the Manix is wasted cutting edge. I know that people with larger hands appreciate the choil, and I'm not pushing for any changes to the Manix line.

My palm however, is only 3.5 inches wide, so I can get a full four finger grip on the Manix 2 or even the Native 5 from behind the choil area. I also have long, slim fingers, so using the choil has always felt weird to me. Doing away with the choil would allow users with smaller hands to get closer to the blade edge more comfortably.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've thought about picking one of these up for a while. the only reason i haven't is because i'd only carry it one day a year and $200+ is a lot for so little carry. it does seem like a cross between a caribbean and a manix though, and those are two knives i like very much.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I like the D'Allara design as well as what it represents, so I would certainly be interested in one.

A few months back I'd probably even say "take my money", but one reason (though not the only one) I took some time off the forum is partly because I'm re-evaluating my approach to knives.

A new run of the D'Allara would probably have to offer more than just the name and overall design to convince me going forward.
A change to CBBL would go a long way, no doubt.
I also think Bolster brings up a good point about the radius of the forward grip on the D'Allara 3. To me the finger guard and radius for the index finger look more pronounced on the FRN handle - which I much prefer.
So to sum it up, if I could have the FRN handle pattern with the full edge FFG blade of the D'Allara 3 and a CBBL I know I'll struggle very hard not to give it a try.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've always the the D'Allara was a nice knife but it's so close to the Manix 2 I never picked one up. Adding a CBBL to the D'Allara would make it even closer to the Manix. So no interest here
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:40 am
I've always the the D'Allara was a nice knife but it's so close to the Manix 2 I never picked one up. Adding a CBBL to the D'Allara would make it even closer to the Manix. So no interest here

Does not look too close to a Manix to me.. more of a sheepsfooty blade, a lot more edge, no choil, more neutral handle ergos, longer grip area on that actual handle, a bit thinner stock... even with a CBBL I feel like the D'Allara is at least as or actually more different from a Manix as/than an Endela from a Stretch... just my 2 c.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

I would love a choilless cbbl knife like that with a long cutting edge. Especially in a LW model
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:08 am
Sharp Guy wrote:

Does not look too close to a Manix to me.. more of a sheepsfooty blade, a lot more edge, no choil, more neutral handle ergos, longer grip area on that actual handle, a bit thinner stock... even with a CBBL I feel like the D'Allara is at least as or actually more different from a Manix as/than an Endela from a Stretch... just my 2 c.
Yep your 2 cents for sure. Look at the contour of the edge. I'm not seeing much of a difference. The spines are different. I do rest my index finger on the spine but both are about the same there. So the difference in spines is more visual for me.

The handles are a little different too but for my hands I can't see why one would be any different than the other

The question was if a CBBL D'Allara would be of interest. I answered the question honestly. For me the answer is likely no
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I took a pic of my O.G. D'Allara to show what i think would be the remedy for the newer, G10 ones. Scalloping around the ball.
I have no problem whatsoever opening and closing my D'Allara.

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:34 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

Yep your 2 cents for sure. Look at the contour of the edge. I'm not seeing much of a difference. The spines are different. I do rest my index finger on the spine but both are about the same there. So the difference in spines is more visual for me.

The handles are a little different too but for my hands I can't see why one would be any different than the other

The question was if a CBBL D'Allara would be of interest. I answered the question honestly. For me the answer is likely no
Sure, really subjective and I did not say by any means that your "no" is not understandable!

Still: Long vs short edge, no choil vs choil, more negative blade angle vs less negative blade angle, more neutral handle with wide first finger placement vs handle with a short radiussed first finger groove before almost a second guard, long grip area on the handle vs short grip area probably would be enough reasons for many to call the knives "different" - In fact, if they are not, I am not sure what actually should make the differences between folders (sure there are MORE factors than the ones listed, but I think the listed ones are not unsubstantial)

Also: That one "can´t see why one (of the handles) should be ANY different than the other" is honestly something I can´t really follow - again, what MAKES a difference in handles then if not neutral shape vs finger grooves, long grip area vs short, choil vs no choil, large radius where the first finger sits vs short radius there and so on?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The og d’allara looks like a phenomenal knife in the hand. I like the design over a manix for a harder use folder
:bug-red-white
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:15 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

Also: That one "can´t see why one (of the handles) should be ANY different than the other" is honestly something I can´t really follow - again, what MAKES a difference in handles then if not neutral shape vs finger grooves, long grip area vs short, choil vs no choil, large radius where the first finger sits vs short radius there and so on?
I guess you're misunderstanding what I was trying to say. Yes, the handles are different but I would hold either knife the same way. So I wouldn't feel any difference between the two. finger groove or not they feel the same to me

You just can't leave anything go can you? I thought I was competitive lol. I expect the next time I log in there'll be another long argument from you :cheap-sunglasses
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:43 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:15 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
I guess you're misunderstanding what I was trying to say. Yes, the handles are different but I would hold either knife the same way. So I wouldn't feel any difference between the two. finger groove or not they feel the same to me

You just can't leave anything go can you? I thought I was competitive lol. I expect the next time I log in there'll be another long argument from you :cheap-sunglasses

Ah, thanks, now I understand (don´t "misunderstand" no more ;) )

And, no. I am actually not competitive - though people who actually DO have a competitive mindset sometimes might not be able to help and see what I say as just that. When in fact it is about not having meaningless discussions and respect for the disussion partner and so honestly making clear, what I might not understand and then TRY to understand.
If this is not about undenidable facts (like "is the Endura longer than the Delica"), but , like in this case, about what subjectively defines differences between knives I always state that of course it is "just my 2 cents" (like I did)
And again, out of respect and for the sake of a real, honest discussion also explain what I mean.

In this case firstly your "the D´Allara is so close to the Manix" made me wonder and wanting to learn what you mean.
As well as then your, literally, "I can´t see why one handle would be any different to the other"

For me it is hard to see how one could interpret this as "competitive", but I guess somehow and some folks still can (not directed towards you!).
A bit weird or even sad on a discussion forum though, actually meant for that people with the same basic deep passion exchange thoughts and opinions, and respectfully and out of interest point out differences in those and try to learn and understand.

Anyway - obviously I misunderstood what you said, but luckily now I guess I do! :smlling-eyes
... and honestly hope you understand me better now too :clinking-mugs
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:16 am
I like the D'Allara 3,...

Mikey, you did something here that never happened to me before to that extent.. ;) :

I actually have been aware of the D´Allara for quite some time now, even shared the vid about the WTC memorial version of it several times, but for some reason never was aware of how cool and in many aspects very much to my preferences this thing practically speaking really is. Your thread changed this.

Realistically speaking I don´t think is very likely that we´ll see a new iteration of it, especially not a light FRN one - but still I´d love to see this!
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

That's a good thing about discussion forums --they expose us to other perspectives that may lead us to see things in a new light.

A D'Allara 4 may or may not become a reality, but it's nice to ponder on what such a model might be like. I feel like it would be popular given the right tweaks --whether these be in the form of a caged BBL or scalloping around the ball area. Only time will tell :smlling-eyes
vivi

Post by vivi »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:04 pm
I took a pic of my O.G. D'Allara to show what i think would be the remedy for the newer, G10 ones. Scalloping around the ball.
I have no problem whatsoever opening and closing my D'Allara.

I had no issues closing it period, but I did have issues closing it with just my thumb like I've always done with CBBL.
:unicorn
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I've never looked at a D'Allara, probably because the lock doesn't appeal to me. But ANYTHING with a CBBL would get my attention. Its similarity to Benchmade's AXIS lock is what brought me here in the first place.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:40 am
I've never looked at a D'Allara, probably because the lock doesn't appeal to me. But ANYTHING with a CBBL would get my attention. Its similarity to Benchmade's AXIS lock is what brought me here in the first place.
With all due respect, to me the CBBL feels like a Gen 1 Glock trigger, gravelly and heavy whereas an Axis lock knife feels like a perfectly tuned Colt Python.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:17 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:40 am
With all due respect, to me the CBBL feels like a Gen 1 Glock trigger, gravelly and heavy whereas an Axis lock knife feels like a perfectly tuned Colt Python.

To each their own, but to me this is really different:

- The CBBL feels reliable and strong to me while it still can very easily be operated with just one finger (thumb or index finger)
- The Axxis lock feels somehow "flimsy" and "undefined".

In my experience this also translates to
a) that the CBBL does a clearly better job of keeping the knife closed in pocket and
b) in fact Omega springs broke on me two times, while the CBBL (spring) seems to be pretty indestructible.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m not a fan of making one Spydie model like another, so, no, a CBBL D’Allara4 does not appeal to me.

I am a fan of Sal’s design philosophy, which includes taking a proven design and improving it as he sees fit.

The man is inner-driven (even though he asks for our opinions) and I like that. I want Sal’s designs (and Eric’s, whose design chops are now thoroughly established), not the Forum’s

A CBBL is the antithesis of what the D’Allara3 was meant to be, namely, a dramatically thinned- and flattened-down version of its rounded predecessors, so as to give us a slim slicer with no protrusions, clip aside, from the handle(-forward)’s surface.

This version’s slick ceramic ball does make difficult a one-handed release of the locked blade (ask me how I know), but our whinging about that seems to have killed the fun of improving it in the lightweight version that this G10 release anticipated.

I do wish we could get into the Glessers’ spirit, rather than dampen it.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”