MagnaWear Easter Egg?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Barmoley

Re: MagnaWear Easter Egg?

Post by Barmoley »

Brant wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:05 pm
Barmoley wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:45 pm
Brant wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:07 pm
Synov wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:01 am
Wow! Larrin has said that the next theoretical step would be to add more vanadium to Magnacut for higher edge retention. If this is real, I can't wait to see the toughness and corrosion resistance.
I was hoping he drop some Tungsten into the mix!
We don't know what's in the mix yet, but for what purpose do you want tungsten in the mix? Tungsten in high alloy steels is usually there for high speed steels for them to not loose hardness at high temperature. When a lot of chromium is present tungsten doesn't produce harder tungsten carbides, so vanadium or nobium are more effective in creating harder carbides. For knives operated by hand using these is more effective to increase wear resistance than using tungsten.
The first thing is that every steel that I’ve found that has “wear” in its name has a bit of tungsten in it. Second, I just like steels that have it in their chemical make up. Let’s all hope however it turns out, it’s really affordable to make and sell.
I am sure Larrin will specify it if it makes sense to have it. Not sure what it would be needed for in a stainless knife steel produce with powder metallurgy process. MagnaCut doesn't have it as don't a bunch of other well performing steels used for knives.
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

JoviAl wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:49 pm
I’ve not hear of ‘Apex Ultra’ before either (further down the chart). Is this another new one or am I just not up to date enough on my steels?
Yeah he developed it with a group of people with some being from Europe(possibly Germany but don't remember for sure)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Dr Larrin stated before something about having versions of Magna Cut to have stronger properties in different areas. I want to see Magna Tough (TM)
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
S7ORM3X

Post by S7ORM3X »

Hope it gets as much love as magnacut