Would a D'Allara 4 with CBBL interest anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikey177

Would a D'Allara 4 with CBBL interest anyone?

Post by mikey177 »

I like the D'Allara 3, but don't carry it often as I find the ball bearing lock cumbersome to use. Also the reason why I never got a Q-Ball.

I was wondering if we could possibly see a 4th version of the D'Allara with a caged ball bearing lock in the future.

What would the challenges to producing such a model be?

Being close in size to a Manix 2, yet having a longer cutting edge, I feel like it would be well-received by folks who do not need the forward choil of the Manix 2.

What do you guys think?
d_allara_3_vs_manix_2_open.jpg
d_allara_3_vs_manix_2_closed.jpg
Wartstein

Re: Would a D'Allara 4 with CBBL interest anyone?

Post by Wartstein »

Man.... Seems that I never looked close enough into that model, now that you bring it up I find it great as it is and probably even better with a CBBL...

Long cutting edge (closer to an Endura than to a Manix or PM2 ) , even a bit thinner blade stock than the Manix, appearantly not TOO fine tip, enough grip area, short, compact carry and a CBBL?! ...

... this could actually become one of my favorites!

Me being me I'd like to see a lighter version to make it perfect though , an FRCP platform like the Manix LW would be amazing.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

If it will be made in Seki City, a lightweight version would indeed be less expensive, as G10 from Japan seems to come with a hefty price tag.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wasn’t there an FRN version of this knife at some point? This model has great lines.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have always liked the knife , after having a nightmare with the Q Ball , I just never could trust the lock . If upgraded ? I would be inline for one because I do like the design . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The C82BK2 D'Allara Drop Point and C82BK D'Allara Rescue both had FRN handles.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The problem would be easily solved by scalloping the scales around the ball. The O.G. D'Allara doesn't have the problem at all.
Please don't ruin it by putting a CBBL on it!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:01 am
I have always liked the knife , after having a nightmare with the Q Ball , I just never could trust the lock . If upgraded ? I would be inline for one because I do like the design . MG2
Hi, Dan. What happened with the Q Ball?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:11 am
The problem would be easily solved by scalloping the scales around the ball. The O.G. D'Allara doesn't have the problem at all.
Please don't ruin it by putting a CBBL on it!

I am actually really astonished that this knife does not get talked about more - I mean, a choil-less Manix DOES (get talked about) a lot, and this thing comes pretty close to just that.

I don´t have any experience with the ball lock, but if is works about like the CBBL or can be made to work like i by scalloping the scales, I´d be perfectly fine with the ball lock too.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:10 am

True, but both are actually HEAVER than the G10 version and pretty heavy in general for their sizes.

My wish is more about the light weight (ideally like a Manix 2 LW, so around 3 oz or at least below 100 grams (about 3.5 oz), so linerless FRCP or FRN would be great!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Yes, I’d take one as is or with a CBBL. I love the Manix, but this might be even better. I’d much prefer it in FRN/FRCP.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I like it even more the longer I look at it: It seems to have an a bit more negative blade angle than the Manix and the tip to sit even a bit lower in relation to the hand on the handle. Both features I think are really good for an EDC folder.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:39 am
mikey177 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:10 am

True, but both are actually HEAVER than the G10 version and pretty heavy in general for their sizes.

My wish is more about the light weight (ideally like a Manix 2 LW, so around 3 oz or at least below 100 grams (about 3.5 oz), so linerless FRCP or FRN would be great!
If it needs to compete against the Manix Lw that is the only way to go. Otherwise people will find it to heavy and don’t underestimate what otherwise the price would be since seki seem to be very expensive compared to golden from the moment they’re are liners involved.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I guess this answers the question:

"Is there enough room in a CBBL Manix to make a choil-less handle forward version of it?"

For the record, I'd not buy a D'Allara because of the gentle sloping curve under the middle and index fingers. I much prefer the tighter curves of the Manix. Plus, I occasionally need to pierce, and the Manix blade shape is better for that, so I'll be sticking with the Manix.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

What is the value in making a choil-less Manix (assuming they keep the Manix name)? Unfair or not, there is a perception that Spyderco just throws out the same models again and again. This could be exclusives and sprints of PM2 and Manix, a Military 2, etc. So "another" Manix (I use quotes because I know this change would be a big deal regardless of the name) might feed into this perception.

I'm interested in how the Bodacious does. We are seeing changes to a beloved model, but with a new name that befits all of the changes. Maybe that is the way to go with a choil-less Manix. I realize that this is all conjecture on my behalf.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:29 am
What is the value in making a choil-less Manix (assuming they keep the Manix name)? Unfair or not, there is a perception that Spyderco just throws out the same models again and again. This could be exclusives and sprints of PM2 and Manix, a Military 2, etc. So "another" Manix (I use quotes because I know this change would be a big deal regardless of the name) might feed into this perception.

I'm interested in how the Bodacious does. We are seeing changes to a beloved model, but with a new name that befits all of the changes. Maybe that is the way to go with a choil-less Manix. I realize that this is all conjecture on my behalf.

I personally really don´t need such a knife be called "choilless or whatever" Manix - I´d just like to see more designs with the CBBL, in my humble opinion out of the two "Spyderco invented locks" the one I clearly prefer over the comp.lock which has been implemented a ton already.

And if it is a CBBL D´Allara it definitely should keep this name, for the special background it has.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I really like the no choil blade and overall blade shape , I'd be interested if this is around Mini Manix prices :open-grin
Actually, any CBBL model would be cool, I really like that lock but did not fall in love with the Manix. If it was a compression lock knife, I don't think I would've kept it.

That must mean this kind of lock and it's ease of use (for me) really counts for something. I'd be delighted to see more of it !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
vivi

Post by vivi »

if the 4 refers to the blade length, and the scales go back to being 3D contoured FRN, I'd be interested. I had an FRN Dallara and really liked the 3D scales, but it was a bit small and the lock release a little slick for one finger activation.
:unicorn
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

I would probably be interested: the handle looks a bit more neutral than that of the Manix.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Yes!!! We need more CBBL options. I like the choil-less design of the D ‘allara and would love a 3.5-4” blade.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch