Delica 4 in 2024?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olditguy

Re: Delica 4 in 2024?

Post by olditguy »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:17 pm
too small for me, but I can't say why :rainbow

But I have similar feelings towards the Pacific Salt, which is largely an upsized Delica.

Simple, lightweight, low maintenance and big enough for most tasks I encounter during the day.
:rofl :rofl :rofl
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Vivi sees this and says it MIGHT be big enough. Maybe.

Warstein sees it and wonders why Spyderco hasn't made one yet. :')

Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Incoming!Image

———

The Spyderco Delica is the greatest pocket knife ever made.

Seriously, I mean that. It belongs in the MOMA, to be immortalized as the greatest pocket knife ever designed.
- Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

When it was time to pick a knife to carry this morning I realized I hadn't carried a Delica in awhile. I had the K390 Endela on me a few times recently. So a K390 Wharnie Delica is what I chose to carry today.

I've mentioned before that I think my hands must be about the same size as Sal and Eric's. Models like the Delica fit my hand perfectly
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:16 pm
When it was time to pick a knife to carry this morning I realized I hadn't carried a Delica in awhile. I had the K390 Endela on me a few times recently. So a K390 Wharnie Delica is what I chose to carry today.

I've mentioned before that I think my hands must be about the same size as Sal and Eric's. Models like the Delica fit my hand perfectly
I feel that way too about most of Sal's designs. UKPK, Calypso, Pacific Salt 1 & 2, Stretch 1 & 2 & XL, Military, Police 3 & 4, Aqua Salt, Temperance and ATR's are all good fits for my grip. That's a pretty wide range of handle sizes and ergonomic styles. He's got a great ability to design comfortable handles across a wide spectrum of sizes. Even the dragonfly, though I don't care for it, I can see the thought behind the handle shape and can understand why others enjoy using it.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree, a lot of knives these days seem to be fancy trinkets rather than usable knives. I haven't watched a YouTube review video in a few years now because of this. Guys showing off knives wearing disposable surgical gloves?? Heck is going on here!?!

I've had a few different Delicas over the years. A nice Knifecenter Pakkawood that just felt too nice to use in a warehouse, an SE wharnie I put some micarta scales on, but decided SE wasn't for me.

Then came this beauty, a standard style Delica in a great colorway with good all around steel. This one likes to work and has been a pleasure since day 1. This is the Delica I won't get rid of. I really only need one, and this is it. Great slicer, comfortable in hand, easy steel to work with, looks great and simply just gets the job done. No frills, no fancy fidgety lock. There should be a Delica in every Spyderco fans collection if you ask me.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:02 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:19 pm
K390 Wharncliffe Delica in my pocket as I read this on lunch break at work. 10DPS mirror finish, laser beam.

Nice to see some glue on that baby. That’s what it’s all about. :cheap-sunglasses
Good to see you posting! Happy New Year!
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

That Delica in CruWear is one I missed unfortunately. It is the only Delica made that I wish I had.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
R100

Post by R100 »

What a load of... Hang on, what's this in my pocket? K390 Delica 4. :frowning-open-mouth

Dan
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

A Delica was my first Spyderco, though mine was a stainless handle saber hollow ground one. I don't carry a Delica much any more, but I think it still holds up as a fine pocket knife.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:21 pm
Guys showing off knives wearing disposable surgical gloves?? Heck is going on here!?!
Haha I've seen that several times and and I just shake my head. I don't watch reviews on YT anymore. If I see a knife that I think I might like I'll buy it and try it for myself rather than listen to what some wannabe has to say on YT. I'm usually right about the knives I like. That's why I rarely end up selling any and I ended up with too many

I finally got my Pakkawood Delica in my pocket about a month ago. It basically just sits in my knife box since KC did the first run a few years ago. Probably time to move it on.

The Cruwear Deli was in the running for pocket time today. Maybe tomorrow
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

I don't have a delica, and it will be a while until I get one. That said, a few weeks back I suddenly realized that I eventually would like to buy two, and customize one of them (scales, clip, & perhaps screws). We shall see.... :)
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:50 pm
I'm allowed to have an opinion on a pocket knife I've used and carried, lol.
Yeah. Not what I’m talking about. But you know that.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Shawn, et al.

sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:51 pm
Delica 4 can be a total "sleeper" a knife that hides its performance with humble looks.

One man's "humble looks" is another man's "OG Style." It's got the hump, the ffg, bidirectional FRN. What else could anyone want? There's a reason that this model has been around for so long.

Deadboxhero wrote:
I completely agree and that's especially more true now that it's been available in K390.

You forgot one thing. It's available in SERRATED K390

😲
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Looking forward to a sprint run of the delica this year to grab. SPY27 would be cool.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

What I wanted to add to my first post:

- It think for me the Delica is one of those items that is perfect for what it is.

Purely from a technical point of view, one could perhaps still tweak it concerning the lock by giving it an internal stop pin - not necessary though at all for me personally, and would probably lead to a higher price.

Other than that: If one wants that style of a folder, the Delica is extremely refined and a perfect design now.

To me it is like: It makes no sense to wish for a "better Delica" - there can´t really be one, IF one still wants that in truth they just want another design with other distinct pros and cons.

Examples would be:

- Ricasso vs finger choil: The Delica ricasso has its own virtues, as offering a longer grip area on the actual handle than a choil-knife in that size and for some (like me) a point to choke up on that gives great control when doing so.

- "Finger groove handle": To me this leads to the knife sitting extremely stable in hand - no tendency to "shift or roll" when fingers are wet, cold or sweaty

Completely understandable that others do want a finger choil or a more neutral handle - but there are a lot of Spydies out there who offer just that, while the Delica is perfect for those who are looking for, well, a folder with the featueres a Delica offers.... ;)

Hope this makes at least some sense..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Whenever I see another guy carrying a Delica 4, It's like a "knife guy's handshake." Or like a cool nod that we are both in on a very big secret since the Delica 4 can be a total "sleeper" a knife that hides its performance with humble looks.

This knife is just an excellent cutter.......

I know what you mean.

To me it is like:

If someone who is at least a bit into folders carries a Delica, you know this person knows a thing or two about knives in the sense of no nonsense great cutting tools.
(I want to be clear though: Of course on the other hand this does not mean that everyone "who knows a thing or two abour knives in the sense of no nonsense cutting tools" necessarily has to prefer a Delica ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:07 pm
A calypso jr. Or a caly 3 & 3.5 is superior in design for edc knife in that size range. Better ergonomics, more versatile blade geometry. Y’all spyderco fans still sleeping on the genius of the Calys in 2024.

While acknowledging the Delica's superstar status, I agree with TD; for me the "hand fit" of the Caly is superb, and allows great control of the heel of the blade (which I use a lot) since I can get an index finger so close. I confess I do wish other FRN models had similar deep thumb jimping around the backspring, as the Delica does. That's a nice touch.
Last edited by Bolster on Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:22 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:07 pm
A calypso jr. Or a caly 3 & 3.5 is superior in design for edc knife in that size range. Better ergonomics, more versatile blade geometry. Y’all spyderco fans still sleeping on the genius of the Calys in 2024.

While acknowledging the Delica's superstar status, I agree with TD; for me the "had fit" of the Caly is superb, and allows great control of the heel of the blade (which I use a lot) since I can get an index finger so close. I confess I do wish other FRN models had similar deep thumb jimping around the backspring, as the Delica does. That's a nice touch.
Oh yeah, scapel like control.. on a smaller edc knife, I love the comfortable close up on the edge grip the choil allows. You can choke up on the delica, but my finger isn’t comfortable there because of the protrusions of the finger guard and top of the ricasso in that tight of a space. I just feel more locked in and in control on the Calys ergos. I also much prefer a swell handle style as opposed to the finger points.
The Caly/calypso are designs are for the deep hard core knife aficionados. It is Unfortunate they don’t get much attention in comparison to all the other flagship in house models.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket