The Catcherman as a filet knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skydog

The Catcherman as a filet knife?

Post by Skydog »

I realize that there is already an ongoing thread about the Catcherman, but I have a question in regard to a very specific application for this knife and did not want to derail the other thread. I noticed as I was reading through the other thread that there were a few comments like “I’m not a fisherman…but I’ve found this knife to be very good at processing food, etc.” I’m curious how many fishermen actually use this as a filet knife, and if so, how effective is it at that task? I hope some fishermen who actually use this as a fishing/filet knife will weigh in.

It seems to me that the length of the blade would limit it to only being used on the smallest of fish. The filet knives that I use are typically in the 6” to 9” range and I’m mostly using these on small to medium sized game fish, and the occasional larger fish. So, I’m wondering how effective a blade with only a 4.35” cutting edge would be for fileting average sized game fish.

Also, most dedicated filet knives have very flexible blades making the task much easier. Is the blade on the Catcherman flexible enough for it to be an effective filet knife?

I realize that the Catcherman is not really intended to be a dedicated filet knife only, and that it can be used for other tasks, but I’m just wondering how it performs at fileting fish. It is described as a "folding filet knife" by Spyderco on their website.

Thank you!
skeeg11

Re: The Catcherman as a filet knife?

Post by skeeg11 »

Hi Skydog---

I don't own a Catcherman, but may order one just because I'm a Spydie fan. Everyone's thoughts/needs may differ. The Catcherman may be a good fit for a camping/fishing/food prep scenario, but as a serious filet knife, there are other choices for me. A Phil Wilson for instance. My preferences lean towards fixed blades with some tip flex, neutral blade angle and NO serrations.
Skydog

Post by Skydog »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:14 pm
Hi Skydog---

I don't own a Catcherman, but may order one just because I'm a Spydie fan. Everyone's thoughts/needs may differ. The Catcherman may be a good fit for a camping/fishing/food prep scenario, but as a serious filet knife, there are other choices for me. A Phil Wilson for instance. My preferences lean towards fixed blades with some tip flex, neutral blade angle and NO serrations.
Had to google Phil Wilson since I was not familiar with his name. Found his website...those are some really nice looking knives. I've been looking for some better filet knives. Thank you!
Windward

Post by Windward »

Don't have one, but looking forward to hopefully getting one. I likely wont use it as a filet knife, but itll have a pretty good gutting knife for fish i keep whole (porgy, seabass, etc), and a good bleeder for tuna. I like to do it with a thin blade, so something that i can fold up small, throw in my boat bag and never worry about would be ideal.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Skydog wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:33 pm
Had to google Phil Wilson since I was not familiar with his name. Found his website...those are some really nice looking knives. I've been looking for some better filet knives. Thank you!
You can currently get a Spyderco designed by Phil. The Bow River.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've used several of my Catcherman models over the years. And YES I have used them for a fillet knife at times. And they all did really well for the most part. Now I do have a favorite out of that batch of Catcherman models I've accrued over the years.

My favorite is one from way back in the mid to late 1990s. It is the AUS-8, Full SE version of the Catcherman. The fully serrated model is the one that I use the most. And yes it makes a great fillet knife

There isn't a week that goes by that I don't use the AUS-8, full SE Catcherman for something in the kitchen. The Catcherman is a great fillet knife but it doesn't stop there.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I have one of the old AUS-8 Catchermen, and I don't rate it highly as a fillet knife. Too short and stiff for the fish I catch. Stiff knives work better for larger fish, and short is almost never good except for really small fish. Sure you can fillet with a Catcherman, but it's more in it's element as an all-purpose fishing knife. I've used mine to fillet bait fish, and it's fine for that.

For real filleting I like a longish, flexible, plain-edged, fixed blade that I don't care about, like (gasp!) a Rapala, easy to find for $20-$30, easy to sharpen, lasts forever if you wash it off, you can even throw it in the dishwasher, etc.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:53 pm
I have one of the old AUS-8 Catchermen, and I don't rate it highly as a fillet knife. Too short and stiff for the fish I catch. Stiff knives work better for larger fish, and short is almost never good except for really small fish. Sure you can fillet with a Catcherman, but it's more in it's element as an all-purpose fishing knife. I've used mine to fillet bait fish, and it's fine for that.

For real filleting I like a longish, flexible, plain-edged, fixed blade that I don't care about, like (gasp!) a Rapala, easy to find for $20-$30, easy to sharpen, lasts forever if you wash it off, you can even throw it in the dishwasher, etc.
Sounds like the voice of experience and a long history as a fish chef. :winking-tongue Not so long ago they were in the $12 range and every fisherman had one.
Skydog

Post by Skydog »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:53 pm
I've used mine to fillet bait fish, and it's fine for that.

100% agree with this...it does seem like it would be great for fileting or chunking small bait fish to use for cut bait, but for actually fileting game fish something longer, more flexible, etc. would be preferred.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Not to hijack the thread, but really wish Lance would weigh in on topics like this. I miss his perspective on processing fish and game, and on all things corrosion. Besides designing the Waterway and Siren, he commissioned some absolutely sick fillet knives by another forum member, possibly Xplorer.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Sal & Phil know each other well so I wonder what the hold up is? I wait with bated breath.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:03 pm
Not to hijack the thread, but really wish Lance would weigh in on topics like this. I miss his perspective on processing fish and game, and on all things corrosion. Besides designing the Waterway and Siren, he commissioned some absolutely sick fillet knives by another forum member, possibly Xplorer.
Me too, Lance is a legend!!! For a fillet knife I like the Dexter 8” Sofgrip but I will buy a Catcherman and put it to use camping and for trout 🎣
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:10 pm
Coastal wrote:
Me too, Lance is a legend!!! For a fillet knife I like the Dexter 8” Sofgrip but I will buy a Catcherman and put it to use camping and for trout 🎣
As a bird & trout knife the Catcherman might prove well-nigh perfect! I can see myself dressing 14-inch rainbows or processing dove and turkey. Alas, I no longer pursue those delicacies…
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:26 pm
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:10 pm
Coastal wrote:
As a bird & trout knife the Catcherman might prove well-nigh perfect! I can see myself dressing 14-inch rainbows or processing dove and turkey. Alas, I no longer pursue those delicacies…
I’d try it on trout, myself.
I do prefer a dedicated 6-8 inch fillet knife for most filleting jobs. Though I do use my Siren and Waterway plenty on the boat and kayak to bleed fish and sometimes cut fillets off.
I actually used my Siren to do a massive Red Snapper in the fall to see how it’d do, and I managed not to leave too much meat on the bones.

As a side-note ,
I have many designated fillet knives, and by far my favorite to use and admire at the ones from White River Knives. They make many great models, but the ones with the cork handles are so fun to use, are crazy light and absolutely gorgeous to look at..!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Fish I catch are too big

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Skydog wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:53 pm

It seems to me that the length of the blade would limit it to only being used on the smallest of fish. The filet knives that I use are typically in the 6” to 9” range and I’m mostly using these on small to medium sized game fish, and the occasional larger fish. So, I’m wondering how effective a blade with only a 4.35” cutting edge would be for fileting average sized game fish.

Sykdog and all:

Can you please explain to me why one would need such long blades to filet even smaller fish?

So why a 4.35" is only suited for the "smallest of fish"?

Honest question, I am not a fisherman myself, but did roughly process trouts with an Endura and it worked just fine...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

HI Warnstein
A shorter blade can be used to fillet a larger fish by cutting down the lateral line and filleting (peeling) the upper and lower loins off toward the back and belly. A longer blade with some flex allows it to better follow perpendicular to the back bone as you push down and flex. The flex gives better knuckle clearance to the cutting board as well. I think a 6.5 to 7 inch blade with a little flex would do most fillet jobs and you can also use it in the kitchen Phil
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Well, feels ofd to post a reply, following one from Phil Wilson himself.
I’ll just confirm what Phil said - you can do it with a shorter blade, alas with less efficiency and more time.
A thinner longer blade will aid in making filleting an easier task, and a well designed - designated fillet knife will help leave less meat on the bones.

We must respect the fish we harvest, and making the most out of your catch is an integral part of this.

As a side note, I also try to use the tails, heads and carcasses to make fish soup and thus utilize the entirety of my harvest.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

There you have it from the man himself on the proper tool for the job. :winking-tongue
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Phil Wilson wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:56 am
HI Warnstein
A shorter blade can be used to fillet a larger fish by cutting down the lateral line and filleting (peeling) the upper and lower loins off toward the back and belly. A longer blade with some flex allows it to better follow perpendicular to the back bone as you push down and flex. The flex gives better knuckle clearance to the cutting board as well. I think a 6.5 to 7 inch blade with a little flex would do most fillet jobs and you can also use it in the kitchen Phil

Hi Phil, sorry but I missed your reply till right now. Thanks for the explanation!
I unterstand a lot better now.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)