If laws and public perception were no issue, would you carry a different knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bobnikon

Re: If laws and public perception were no issue, would you carry a different knife?

Post by bobnikon »

We don't have particular length laws in Canada, but do have restrictions on certain types and absolutely on intent. Do not say you are carrying your dragonfly for self defence. Any knife is a tool and a tool only.

Of course CBSA is for some reason allowed their own interpretation and as you have all heard time-and-again, will confiscate anything crossing the border that they deem in contravention of their own rules or that they find attractive and want to take home.

Now, public perceptions, though it shouldn't, plays a factor. I carry bigger around home than I do in the office. I have been asked why I carry a knife all the time. My only response is "why don't you carry a knife?" The number of times I use it a day is not insubstantial. I guess it is the hammer and nail analogy. But I would rather cut something neatly than struggle and rip it with my teeth as I have seen many do around here. The argument could be made I don't need a Chief or a Spartan Harsey in an office setting, but I may want one that day. Sometimes I still carry them. On our coffee break Wednesdays, the weirdos who don't want a whole donut/pastry/cake/whatever, always come to me asking to borrow my knife to cut it. So again, why aren't they carrying one?
CDEP

Re: If laws and public perception were no issue, would you carry a different knife?

Post by CDEP »

From Los Angeles. Sub - 3" limit, no autos, no open carry, and a lot of understandably nervous strangers everywhere.

Yes, I would sometimes carry two of my most carried at-home folders, the PM2 and Shaman, but would still carry my Native 5s and PARA3s regularly as they are more than enough for my daily needs while away from home.

I would also still carry my orange DFly 2, and my adorable widdle Teal S30V Ladybug on my keychain. I find that even friends who are nervous around knives find them "cute." I always use the smallest blade for the cut, and that would not change.
Brian
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

I’d like to see a return to the casual carrying of short swords.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Probably not. Most days, I carry a 3" folder. I have no issue with a 4" folder or 4-6" fixed blade.

I really don't have much need anything larger.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'd carry my Enduras no matter what the law said. I'm too used to it and have more than 30 years of muscle memory and because of that I can get it out and use it faster than any auto I have ever owned. I have arthritis and some nerve damage in my hand also which makes my hand numb at times and the decades of use makes up for a lot of that and I never seem to have to struggle with the knife trying to find the correct grip.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I carry what I want even autos , but have to respect federal and state buildings and large venues . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Simonix

Post by Simonix »

Another UK member here.

Not sure if I would change length of my EDC blades if we were suddenly allowed to have longer than 3”. In fact, even my UKPK feels a little too big for my needs sometimes. It can sometimes feel clumsy.
Blade shape I think makes a difference.

I think I would carry lock knives though, nice to have a little extra safety for when I’m trying to use it as a pry bar when I shouldn’t.

Also, there would be so much more choice of knives to buy and use then.
pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

In Idaho I can carry what I like, which is usually a native chief in 4V or s90v. It carries so well! Now that I got my military 2 delivered in s110v, I’ve been daily carrying it too. I’m happy it doesn’t feel any less comfortable. If y’all were to develop a native king or warlord 4.5” or 4.7, I would certainly carry that too!

When I worked retail, I kept to a manix or paramilitary, because I had to use it a lot and I didn’t want to impose on other employees. Those sizes seemed more like a tool to everybody else. Now that I’m self employed, though, it’s less of a concern.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Interesting topic and responses here. I would probably try out EDC fixed blades. The law of the land criminalizes concealing a fixed blade (some old law about dirks and daggers has been applied to any fixed blade knife), and the culture makes open carrying a fixed blade a bad idea most places. I always obey the law when it comes to stuff like this. With folders I can legally carry what I want to and have had zero issue with public perception.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Think I’m good to go 😉…actually I like carrying anything from the Dfly to the Stretch xl to my SRK-C but really nothing bigger.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Nope. Not a lot of concern where I live anyway. I guess I would carry a knife where metal detectors don't allow in your dream scenario... Always feels odd walking in somewhere without a pocket knife.
barnaclesonaboat

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

Super interesting question, as it has us all examining our own perceptions of the knives we use and carry.

I think the only real difference for me would be that I would carry a fixed blade a lot more often. I like a belt- or pocket-rigged fixed blade in the 3-4 inch size range. While Washington laws seem to only limit concealed carry of 'dirks and daggers', which another forum member pointed out often erroneously swallows up all fixed blades, public perception in the Seattle metro area would definitely keep most people from open carry. I'm always watching, and I can't remember the last time I spotted an open carried fixed blade on someone in the city proper, and rarely see open carry firearms, for context. So ya, wipe the laws and public perception and you'll find me with a fixed blade a lot more.

For folders and size considerations, I'm not sure I'd carry much longer blades. My go-to everyday knives are PM2s, Manix 2s, the occasional Kershaw Grid when I expect abuse... all 3.5"+ knives. The geometry of the knives just feels *right* for my hands and I like tools that feel intuitive and comfortable for me when I'm using them, particularly when they're relatively dangerous to the user.

I'm sensitive to audience and setting when I deploy any knife, and I take care to keep my knife use as non-threatening as possible. Each of us makes the norms in our communities in a way, and I like to do my part to keep people thinking knives are just a normal tool that most 21st century people should probably be carrying and using to get through their day. My opinion, sure, but can't hurt when I'm being careful and so **** friendly about it. I own and have carried smaller knives and enjoy the 'carry' aspect of them, but I rarely enjoy the cutting as much as ~3"+ knives. I might carry a Military or Native Chief someday, just haven't had the chance to handle or try them yet.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:09 pm
Think I’m good to go 😉…actually I like carrying anything from the Dfly to the Stretch xl to my SRK-C but really nothing bigger.
you can't own a knife over 12"?!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Crocodile Dundee’s Bowie Knife had a 12” blade so perhaps that’s where Georgia got its idea.

https://youtu.be/WWl8EbNN8NM?si=WSwoy79ixsJjWTl-
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Pocket carry comfort is a big deal to me. Manix is max I can comfortably carry in RFP, without being annoyed by size. Often I'll size down to a Caly/Sage for more comfort.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:27 am
Come up to Northern Australia mate ...you can carry anything.
Tempting thought, but your weather forecast quickly withered my enthusiasm... ☀️ 😅
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:36 pm
Go down one more sentence. You can, but to carry in public, you need a permit.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Like Bolster, I too would give more weight to pocket carry comfort over considerations about legality. I'd still carry nothing bigger than a Manix 2 or PM2, as I don't need extra blade length for my usual cutting tasks.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:14 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Go down one more sentence. You can, but to carry in public, you need a permit.
i saw that. the language is inconsistent, which is dangerous when talking about law. it shouldn't say illegal to own and carry if it's only illegal to carry. this is the same language you see used for some states where it is illegal to own a butterfly knife or auto, etc.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

ladybug93 wrote:
IKR…gotta have a permit but most of don’t give 2 shi.. or have a permit.