I don't care about stainless *Edited

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Netherend

Re: I don't give a #@$! about stainless

Post by Netherend »

Freediver wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:27 pm
IMG_6597.jpeg
Goin to my herb garden
🤣
Just one more knife...
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I own and use S110V, I also own and use M4, Rex45 and K390. I'm in a dry enough climate that I can get away with tool steels pretty easily. I don't give them much maintenance and there is rarely a problem with them but it is not out of the question. If I have carried M4 while working in the yard and had corrosion but it was easy to clean off. I don't have a problem with stainless I just like tool steels a bit more. I think what we need is a LW PM2 in Magnacut, I would buy one of those.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Corrosion wise, none of my knives have been affected by rain, snow, or working in climate controlled rooms. (30-50% humidity) So, I can buy knives with virtually any steel blade.

I think I read in an issue of the Spyderco byte last year that Spyderco is using 35 different kinds of steel, (or was it 35 kinds of metal?,) to make knives.

With that kind of variety, there’s something for everyone. ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:50 pm
Stainless is great when you get soaked outside in the rain and you still keep working. Also great when you're cutting something moist and don't have to immediately look for something to dry your knife off with.

Well,this is what I do really often - and by Vivis definition I am also a "real man" ;) - working hard and getting sweaty.
And still my Spydies have no corrosion issues, not even with steels like REX 45.

Left often for days in soaking wet packs, not getting cleaned off for very long time after cutting something moist, carried iwb on long sweaty runs... no problems, as said.
Perhaps REX 45 develops a slight patina and a few tiny specs, my XHP Chap has a small darkened spot on the blade (hard to detect actually), but functionally speaking: Not even remotely anything at all to worry about.

I never found out why other folks have such corrosion issues with their folders, but I don´t. Part of it mght be the "degree of corrosivenes of someones sweat", and mine will score low here. Part of it might be, that while I really don´t live in an arid area (it rains and snows a lot), still there is no ocean nearby.

But I honestly think sometimes people might be to worried with "corrosion", or just focussed less on functionality, but on always having pristine and completely new looking folders (which is fine, don´t get me wrong!), so even tiny specs start to worry them.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:51 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:50 pm
Stainless is great when you get soaked outside in the rain and you still keep working. Also great when you're cutting something moist and don't have to immediately look for something to dry your knife off with.

Well,this is what I do really often - and by Vivis definition I am also a "real man" ;) - working hard and getting sweaty.
And still my Spydies have no corrosion issues, not even with steels like REX 45.

Left often for days in soaking wet packs, not getting cleaned off for very long time after cutting something moist, carried iwb on long sweaty runs... no problems, as said.
Perhaps REX 45 develops a slight patina and a few tiny specs, my XHP Chap has a small darkened spot on the blade (hard to detect actually), but functionally speaking: Not even remotely anything at all to worry about.

I never found out why other folks have such corrosion issues with their folders, but I don´t. Part of it mght be the "degree of corrosivenes of someones sweat", and mine will score low here. Part of it might be, that while I really don´t live in an arid area (it rains and snows a lot), still there is no ocean nearby.

But I honestly think sometimes people might be to worried with "corrosion", or just focussed less on functionality, but on always having pristine and completely new looking folders (which is fine, don´t get me wrong!), so even tiny specs start to worry them.
Since i live in an area like you but even without the snow i have the same experiences with my spydies.
I do clean every single one of my knives with balistol regularly maybe that helps.
And i also think like you that people are a bit to scared of rust. Dont get me wrong people living near the beach, i can get those have a need for salt steel. But otherwise all other teels will do fine!
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Climb 90’ in a tree then top it out in 100 degree heat with humidity out the a$$ then be fully exposed to the sun and all its glory for a couple more hours while carefully roping down 12’ logs because the job is inaccessible for a crane and let me know how that m4 is faring in your waistband bro 😬 don’t be talking about real men till you show me you can do that bud… I bet you’d like a fully serrated large stainless Spyderco with you then huh? And I do it all with a PINK shirt on 😉…just messin’ w/you dude but to each their own…I actually like everything from H1/2 to k390/Cruwear/Maxamet, just depends on where I am, what I’m doing and the weather 👊
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:42 am
Climb 90’ in a tree then top it out in 100 degree heat with humidity out the a$$ then be fully exposed to the sun and all its glory for a couple more hours while carefully roping down 12’ logs because the job is inaccessible for a crane and let me know how that m4 is faring in your waistband bro 😬 don’t be talking about real men till you show me you can do that bud… I bet you’d like a fully serrated large stainless Spyderco with you then huh? And I do it all with a PINK shirt on 😉…just messin’ w/you dude but to each their own…I actually like everything from H1/2 to k390/Cruwear/Maxamet, just depends on where I am, what I’m doing and the weather 👊
Hear, here!

Way-back pic...
I'm actually about to tie myself into this pine and then throw a second climbing line/monkey fist through the canopy of that dead pine to the left and belay myself over to top it while staying tied in to the green tree.
Screenshot_20240107_105914_Gallery_copy_809x973.jpg
And this old 90's model Rescue in ATS 55 is clipped to my belt..as it always was.
This knife was always rode hard and put up wet. Right now don't guess it's been cleaned sharpened or shined up in twenty years.
Needs it.
Wish it had been more STAINLESS! :rofl :cheap-sunglasses

20240107_110108_copy_3000x1689.jpg
"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Wartstein wrote:

With folders I understand wanting stainless a bit more, just because you have to take a knife apart to check the pivot for rust, which is the only spot that presents a functional concern for me, but as far as the blade itself, I think corrosion is feared far out of proportion.

I learned by owning a Japanese Gyuto that is iron clad that corrosion isn't a big issue if it is just rubbed off when you notice it. Iron cladding is more reactive than even low alloy steel, but all I do after cutting tomatoes, onions, or bell peppers is rub any orange spots that may form with some baking soda, wash it well, dry it, and throw it back in the drawer. The iron cladding is actually the only thing I've had rust, the steel has only patinaed despite being simple, low alloy high carbon. The only extra requirement I have for carrying high carbon sheath knives camping is to have some sort of abrasive pad to rub any corrosion off should it occur, but I haven't needed it yet. In the end corrosion seems to be only a problem if it is neglected. Discoloration is a non issue and usually a benefit as many patina lovers know, and even straight up rust isn't really a problem unless you let it linger after it forms.

I like stainfull steel. :smiling-halo
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

With the current state of blade steel technology, I don’t want to get any closer to tool steel than XHP. Just my opinion. I also don’t want a 1950’s vehicle as my primary ride. Harley-Davidson is proof that at some point old isn’t always better. Even they have moved on from cast iron… just say’n….
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

SpyderJunky wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:14 am
Hear, here!

Way-back pic...
I'm actually about to tie myself into this pine and then throw a second climbing line/monkey fist through the canopy of that dead pine to the left and belay myself over to top it while staying tied in to the green tree.

Screenshot_20240107_105914_Gallery_copy_809x973.jpg

And this old 90's model Rescue in ATS 55 is clipped to my belt..as it always was.
This knife was always rode hard and put up wet. Right now don't guess it's been cleaned sharpened or shined up in twenty years.
Needs it.
Wish it had been more STAINLESS! :rofl :cheap-sunglasses

20240107_110108_copy_3000x1689.jpg
Awesome dude !!! 👊👊👊…we try to hang dead ones if they’re not too far gone and everything checks out for preventing any further damage to the property or yourself 😬…but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and what you described will humble the average “real man”…we did a job for a surgeon once a long time ago and the bid was $3500…same scenario as your photo except the house was further away…long story short it went perfectly and we were outa there before lunch…when I rang the doorbell to let him know we were done he said “already?”, I’m a doctor and don’t make that kinda money to which I replied: yeah I didn’t make that kinda money when I was a doctor either 🤣…he laughed and said that it was incredible to watch, great job 👊
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The weird things exactly is: I don´t do exactly what you are describing, but I definitely do similar things when it comes to heat and humidty and sweating and hard working (and food cutting in the breaks) with a tool steel folder iwb (would be the REX 45 Manix), or at least VG10, S30V, XHP (not tool steels, I know).

But I still just do not experience any corrosion issues that would even remotely come close to a problem...

UNLESS perhaps "edge degredation", so that the knife dulls a bit quicker due to corrosion right on the egde, and I don´t notice it but think it is all from work. Don´t know, but this could potentially be the case.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ferruginous

Re: I don't care about stainless *Edited

Post by Ferruginous »

When I lived in the North Woods I loved my 52100 Military. I liked how easy it was to sharpen, how sharp it got, how tough it was, and the patina looked awesome and was constantly changing. I also enjoyed using tool steels.

Then, after trying Magnacut, CPM-154, Elmax and other balanced super stainless steels I got over it.

Tool steels are great, for tools and dies. For cutlery, I like cutlery steels like S30V or Magnacut. They sharpen easily, hold an edge, resist damage well enough, and don't rust to **** in a sweaty waistband, wet backpack, or similar. Knife users "made do" for decades utilizing steels designed for other jobs, now we have knife-specific super-steels to choose from and they work far better for cutting tools than those made for hot pressurized plastic molds or chisels or punch sets or ball bearings.

What does a non-stainless steel knife do, other than rot in its' sheath, that you can't do with Magnacut, CPM-154 or Elmax? Knife tasks only please, don't care about cutting through nails or stuff smart people would use an axe or hammer for.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Wartstein wrote:

I never found out why other folks have such corrosion issues with their folders, but I don´t. Part of it mght be the "degree of corrosivenes of someones sweat", and mine will score low here.

For what it's worth I've rusted both 14C28N (over a season as a running knife) and VG10 (over a 3-day canoe trip) while carrying IWB and I can pepper spot M4 in my pocket over an afternoon of summer yard work. I think individual body chemistry makes a big difference if the concern is sweat and not ocean salt water.

If I was going to carry IWB again regularly a Salt would definitely be my choice.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ferruginous wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:12 pm
When I lived in the North Woods I loved my 52100 Military. I liked how easy it was to sharpen, how sharp it got, how tough it was, and the patina looked awesome and was constantly changing. I also enjoyed using tool steels.

Then, after trying Magnacut, CPM-154, Elmax and other balanced super stainless steels I got over it.

Tool steels are great, for tools and dies. For cutlery, I like cutlery steels like S30V or Magnacut. They sharpen easily, hold an edge, resist damage well enough, and don't rust to **** in a sweaty waistband, wet backpack, or similar. Knife users "made do" for decades utilizing steels designed for other jobs, now we have knife-specific super-steels to choose from and they work far better for cutting tools than those made for hot pressurized plastic molds or chisels or punch sets or ball bearings.

What does a non-stainless steel knife do, other than rot in its' sheath, that you can't do with Magnacut, CPM-154 or Elmax? Knife tasks only please, don't care about cutting through nails or stuff smart people would use an axe or hammer for.
I've never used a steel that works as well for a chopper as S7. I might be a "dumb people" for using it over a hatchet + machete but I find it & a folding saw a really convenient trail clearing combo.

To be fair I haven't gotten to try many stainless steels in choppers because not many people make them, but S7 really impresses me in this role.

I tested it in the snowy woods of northern ohio over a winter head to head with a Spyderco Forester and the Scrapyard did better. Apples to oranges since the spydie was thinner at the spine and thicker at the edge.....

:unicorn
R100

Post by R100 »

Jesla wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:37 pm
With the current state of blade steel technology, I don’t want to get any closer to tool steel than XHP. Just my opinion. I also don’t want a 1950’s vehicle as my primary ride. Harley-Davidson is proof that at some point old isn’t always better. Even they have moved on from cast iron… just say’n….
A shovel head is a whole lot cooler than one of the generic modern Harleys though isn't it? Also not for beginners who don't know how to maintain it. Same goes for tool steels. It's the feel of the deal from behind the wheel to quote Terry Allen.

Dan
standy99

Post by standy99 »

When you have Bar Keepers as a friend, it doesn’t matter what steel you use….. ;)

The steel that is blowing me away lately is not Magnacut it’s SPY27 and I live in tropical Northern Australia where I have to cut through the humidity to get out the front door this time of the year.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TOOLEROO'S UNITE! :1stplace: :clinking-mugs :party
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

R100 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:53 pm
Jesla wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:37 pm
A shovel head is a whole lot cooler than one of the generic modern Harleys though isn't it? Also not for beginners who don't know how to maintain it. Same goes for tool steels. It's the feel of the deal from behind the wheel to quote Terry Allen.

Dan
No…. ‘57 Chevy was my first car, don’t want another one of those either. Technology march's on with or without you.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Ferruginous wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:12 pm
What does a non-stainless steel knife do, other than rot in its' sheath, that you can't do with Magnacut, CPM-154 or Elmax?
OK these are generalizations based off of my impressions from being on knife forums for a long time- carbon steels can take on a finer edge, can be tougher, can achieve higher hardness. Stainless steels require higher carbide content to give some of these characteristics and that negatively affects the toughness. Now a lot of this is in the land of esoterics- most people couldn't tell the difference in normal use. Knife enthusiasts pick what they like and if they like to think about the esoteric points then they like owning those steels.

The characteristic that an average person might benefit from would be resistance to wear of the edge. There are some tool steels that resist wear very well but plain old S110V does pretty well on its own with the advantage of resisting corrosion and being readily available in a lot of Spyderco models.

Personally of the knives I carry and use I have S110V, M4, K390 and Rex45. I enjoy owning and using my tool steel knives and I won't say that I can tell the difference between them and S110V.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I personally love K390 but Magna-cut and LC200N have really won my affections as well. I sometimes put away my knives dirty after using them and the stainless properties are a lifesaver because I don’t have to fret about my knife rusting at the pivot and freezing up if I am short on time and put it away wet after a rinse.

I enjoy my K390 endura for being tough and holding an edge a long time, but not having to worry about maintenance beyond eventually cleaning it and sharpening is nice.