Rare numbered C46 Lum twins reunited.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blueboost

Rare numbered C46 Lum twins reunited.

Post by Blueboost »

Im quite possibly the biggest fan in the world of the original C46 Bob Lum tantos. I foolishly sold my original C46GP in a moment of stupidity and regretted it ever since. For years, I searched for a replacement of the plain edge black G10 model. Over the course of those years I purchased every re-release limited sprint run of these knives. While I was greatful to see these runs, I couldn't help but feel as though I was left wanting each time due to the change in the tip profile. The thick, blunted Appleseed grind which was the Hallmark of the blade gave way to a more Americanized tanto grind with a pointier, fragile tip. I sold each iteration not long after purchase, except for the final iteration with green/black G10 and M390 steel. Out of the blue a couple of weeks ago, during one of my random searches for an original C46GP, my luck changed for the better and I struck gold. The Spydie gods smiled down and bestowed me with an opportunity to snatch up not one but two original C46 tantos. Not only that, they were brand new in the boxes. And what's more? They were the numbered versions. Best part? One is a black blade, the other plain and they have matching numbers from the run, both bearing #121 on the show side!

I couldn't be more pleased to have become the caretaker and proud owner of these two. Wanted to share my excitement and some pics with you all.

Reunited with older Ti brother, #683 from the 1st run.

And finally, with their genZ cousin from the last sprint/limited 390 run.

Manixguy@1994

Re: Rare numbered C46 Lum twins reunited.

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Congratulations! I have always admired the Lum design and wished they would had made a lefty version . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Wow, that is a cool collection 😎!
Congratulations!
MNOSD member 0030
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Blueboost wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:30 am
I couldn't be more pleased to have become the caretaker and proud owner of these two.
Sounds like you were the right guy for the job.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've got a "user" Bob Lum C-46 model. Mine has the black bladed, black G-10 handle with an ATS-55 combo edge. I do love to carry it on occasion. The Bob Lum tanto is one of the only Tanto blades I've ever found to be quite functional. I could truly carry and use it on a daily basis if I had to.

The grip on the C-46 is among my favorites of all Spyderco folders. I also miss that Bob Lum fixed blade. I wish they would do another Sprint Run of both of them with updated materials.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'm generally not a tanto guy, but the Lum is an exception. It really does look good. Very nice collection.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:35 pm
I'm generally not a tanto guy, but the Lum is an exception. It really does look good. Very nice collection.
The C-46 Lum Tanto folder not only looks good but I've found it to be quite functional as well. With the streamlined type of tanto that Bob Lum designed I found it to be quite useful for a lot of cutting chores. Whereas with most traditional type tanto designs I could never really see any viable functions they were all that good for.

I love the super thick spine on that blade on the C-46 as well. I've kept that one C-46 over the years to keep in my growing "user arsenal". I do hope that Spyderco keeps the C-46 and the fixed blade Lum both in future Sprint runs.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Beautiful set. The Lum Tanto is one of the all time greatest Spydercos in my opinion. Years ago Sal mentioned it wouldn’t be made again but then BladeHQ recently released an exclusive. I’m hoping we see some sprints.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I know sal said "never again" - but I'd love another laminated HAP40 run of these, or even the fixed blade
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Awesome, C46 is one of if not my favorite Spyderco, I have all iterations EXCEPT the M390. I could'nt justify the price at the time. All 8 of mine are NIB examples.

BOB LUM TANTO #C46P PLAIN EDGE TITANIUM ATS-55
BOB LUM TANTO #C46PS COMBOEDGE TITANIUM ATS-55
BOB LUM TANTO #C46GP PLAIN EDGE G-10 ATS-55
BOB LUM TANTO #C46GPS COMBOEDGE G-10 ATS-55
BOB LUM TANTO BB #C46GPBK PLAIN EDGE G-10 ATS-55
BOB LUM TANTO BB #C46GPSBK COMBOEDGE G-10 ATS-55
BOB LUM TANTO #30V #C46GPGY PLAIN EDGE G-10 GRAY VG-10
BOB LUM TANTO #C46GHAP40P PLAIN EDGE G-10 NATURAL HAP40
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Making me regret that I didn't pickup the Green M390 when I had the chance. Looks like a great EDC.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.