What do you want to see at Shot Show 2024?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: What do you want to see at Shot Show 2024?

Post by vivi »

apollo wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:01 am
In taste of knives i fear we are Dinosaurs.
And honestly i am not sure Spyderco is even interested in being divers enough to make such models in this new age.
Some new coming stuff coming is amazing but honestly eventough i am very hyped about them they do not cover my urge to see Spyderco make another "beast" like the old Manix or first gens Chinooks were.
You might be right. I'm sure they have some very smart people analyzing market trends and looking at sales figures for models like the K2, Tatanka, Szabo etc. They might have concluded there are better ways for them to utilize their production capability.

Knife trends come and go. Beefy tactical folders were the rage in the 2000's. Slim minimalist flippers and Ti framelocks have had their day. Maybe the pendulum will swing back again?
:unicorn
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Chaparral Magnacut 😏
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Araignee wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:38 am
Chaparral Magnacut 😏

:grin-big eyes great proposal!

I am for ANYTHING that helps pushing the popularity of this imo best, most functional and most sensible very small knife model! And Magnacut certainly would!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Guts

Post by Guts »

I want to see a glimpse of the BBB folder collab of course ;) Or anything new in Magnacut that hasn't already been announced. Besides those, maybe some new sharpening bench stones? As a freehand sharpener, I know they discontinued their bench stones recently, so curious what they got coming in the pipeline to replace those. Would love to see Spyderco do some resin bonded CBN or Diamond benchstones since they have so many models with the exotic super steels.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Araignee wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:38 am
Chaparral Magnacut 😏
That would be great! Perhaps a micarta version to complement the CF/G10. A magnacut wharncliffe SE would be a nice addition also. I wonder if there is room to put a small (Delica sized) lanyard hole (no tube) below the clip, perhaps through the backspacer.
papermoon88

Post by papermoon88 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:28 pm
When you guys are talking about new designs, is there anything specifically about a design you guys are looking or hoping for?

Something practical? Something eccentric?
I'd like to see something like Golden-made spydiechef with high vanadium steel. I like its design especially the skinner-type blade (plenty of belly), slightly off-ser handle, and non-finger guard.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:45 am
JoviAl wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:05 am
I would be thrilled to see some big, robust utility blades. 4 to 6 inch fixed blades and ~4inch sharpened edge handle forward folders. A Rockjumper XL would make my week (I have three OG Rockjumpers already for work - magnificent design!), as would a Caribbean XL.

Realistically I’ll be pleased to see anything new.
There was supposed to be a larger caribbean but as far as I know the plans for it got scrapped. But seeing that pop up would be a nice surprise.

I'd like to see Spyderco flesh out their extra large offerings some more. The catcherman sprint is a step in the right direction - definitely planning to pick up a pair of them asap!
I didn’t know about the proposed larger Caribbean - that would be right up my street. I’d be pretty happy with some big, overbuilt work knives that I can really use without fear of fragility. What I’d really quite like is an even longer bladed version of the jump master - now that would be one tough knife in serrated H2!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Going to go against the current here. I would like to see a flipper design with a compression lock in 3" range that has G-10 and/or CF scales. This past year, I bought my first non-Spydie knives that were single blade folders which pushed some Spyderco time out of my pockets. That has not happened in DECADES!

I kept seeing people on various forums talk about the Elementum flipper knife. I got one with copper scales and liked it except it has a frame lock which I don't care for. I then got an exclusive Elementum II in S35VN (one of my favorite steels) that has a button lock. It is a great knife and lots of fun to use. It is small like a Delica so it fits into my pocket with ease. But it opens and closes so much easier than a Delica. And I carried one of those for almost 20 years as my EDC.

I have a Sliverax which is an awesome knife that I really like. But Spyderco does not have any flipper knives that are in 3" range currently. And its compression lock is a great competitive advantage on the market. People do have to get used to using a compression lock with the flipper. But it is pretty easy to do. All of the Spyderco flippers currently use S30V.

My handle design preferences lean towards the Amalgam or Tropen. They have incorporated the flipper and front of the handle to create a guard that helps keep your hand from slipping onto the blade of the knife. This makes up for the lack of raised spine at the Spydie-hole where jimping often is.

So seeing a quality flipper around 3" from a great company like Spyderco with a good steel like S30V (even though I would prefer S35VN) come out would be awesome.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

apollo wrote:
vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:56 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
When you guys are talking about new designs, is there anything specifically about a design you guys are looking or hoping for?

I've recently fallen in love with certain Cold Steel designs. 4 Max, SR1, Recon 1, etc.

I am looking for a Tatanka on the secondary market, but outside of that Spyderco doesn't really make large beefy lockbacks these days.

I love the Police. In fact a new LW in K390 might be on my next knife order. But sometimes something a little more stout is nice.

So I'd love to see some designs more along the lines of those or the old C95. Even a C95 sprint would be fantastic to see.

I prefer sticking with the brand when I can, but if another company is producing something Spyderco doesn't have a comparable model to, it limits my ability to stick to Spyderco.

I guess most might consider these eccentric, impractical pocket swords, but they're anything but that for me. I've got a 4 max in my pocket right now and while its over kill for trimming a thread off a jacket like I did two hours ago, it can also out chop a lot of my fixed blades.

I usually just carry one knife plus a pocket sized multitool, so the more versatile the knife is, the better. So I'd rather carry something that's overkill for trimming threads but it can handle minor trail clearing and batoning wood for a fire, rather than carry a small knife that's more suitable for opening the mail than my 4 Max but can't handle the rough stuff.
And honestly i am not sure Spyderco is even interested in being divers enough to make such models in this new age.
Some new coming stuff coming is amazing but honestly eventough i am very hyped about them they do not cover my urge to see Spyderco make another "beast" like the old Manix or first gens Chinooks were.
I think the original C95 Manix has grown in memory. Compared to the 4Max Scout, it feels like a Dragonfly.

What I would like to see is never going to happen as long as Spyderco follows their market, which is on a much different path than my taste.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

kriezek wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:37 pm
Going to go against the current here. I would like to see a flipper design with a compression lock in 3" range that has G-10 and/or CF scales.

So seeing a quality flipper around 3" from a great company like Spyderco with a good steel like S30V (even though I would prefer S35VN) come out would be awesome.
Have you tried the Mantra?
https://www.knifehub.com/product-page/s ... ck-c233cfp
- Richard
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

A PE K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly to round out the K390 line up. An Endura sized one would be a mind blower :exploding-head
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:17 pm
apollo wrote:
vivi wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

I've recently fallen in love with certain Cold Steel designs. 4 Max, SR1, Recon 1, etc.

I am looking for a Tatanka on the secondary market, but outside of that Spyderco doesn't really make large beefy lockbacks these days.

I love the Police. In fact a new LW in K390 might be on my next knife order. But sometimes something a little more stout is nice.

So I'd love to see some designs more along the lines of those or the old C95. Even a C95 sprint would be fantastic to see.

I prefer sticking with the brand when I can, but if another company is producing something Spyderco doesn't have a comparable model to, it limits my ability to stick to Spyderco.

I guess most might consider these eccentric, impractical pocket swords, but they're anything but that for me. I've got a 4 max in my pocket right now and while its over kill for trimming a thread off a jacket like I did two hours ago, it can also out chop a lot of my fixed blades.

I usually just carry one knife plus a pocket sized multitool, so the more versatile the knife is, the better. So I'd rather carry something that's overkill for trimming threads but it can handle minor trail clearing and batoning wood for a fire, rather than carry a small knife that's more suitable for opening the mail than my 4 Max but can't handle the rough stuff.
I think the original C95 Manix has grown in memory. Compared to the 4Max Scout, it feels like a Dragonfly.

What I would like to see is never going to happen as long as Spyderco follows their market, which is on a much different path than my taste.
haha, agreed. the c95 was my standard for big & beefy folders for a while, but stuff like the 4 max and XL recons make it feel pretty standard. I'd still take a sprint.

I guess if Spyderco considers the XL Manix 2 to really be XL, then what I'm asking for is more of their take on XXL. But I guess there's a lot more market demand for Para 3's than Manix XXL's, haha.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:17 pm
apollo wrote:
vivi wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

I don’t have any coldsteels so i really don’t know how that 4max scout feels. But since i carry my C95 almost constantly i can honestly say i am really confused why people always seem to fear it that much. Its a tank of a knife yes but it isn’t a ridiculous knife its a 100% pure performer. And its isn’t that big or heavy then everyone thinks it is when we ask for its return.
vivi

Post by vivi »

here you go apollo.

4 max is a bit over 10oz, so it makes the c95 feel pretty light and nimble. 5mm blade stock. It definitely puts the C95 into perspective - it's beefy but like you say a performer.

Anyone that can enjoy the Shaman should be able to appreciate the C95
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

I'm only interested in seeing another custom maker collaboration, in titanium, from Taichung.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I'd like to see a mid-size handle-forward design with little or no thumb ramp and 2.5mm blade stock.

Also some refinement in the Seki FRN models pivot design. I have too many that are problematic to set the tension on effectively. Either set it so tight that it becomes difficult to open, or set it loose enough for easy one hand opening but put up with side-to-side blade play. Time for some CQI in these designs.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

papermoon88 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:48 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

I'd like to see something like Golden-made spydiechef with high vanadium steel. I like its design especially the skinner-type blade (plenty of belly), slightly off-ser handle, and non-finger guard.
Refreshing to see someone who gets it. Always said that my SpydieChef is the defacto big game folding pocket skinner par excellence. :winking-tongue Dunno if the advertising dept. is listening, but perhaps it should be promoted as such.
nonstainless

Post by nonstainless »

I'm looking forward to BBB folder, spymyto and bodacious.

For the future, I'm hoping for a mid size thin stock folder, say 3.5" cutting edge, under 0.10" at spine.

Other designs that would make me happy:
- High end new design or collab (like Nirvana, Paysan)
- Mid size button lock folder (Smock xl... )
- High hollow grind back lock (like CS Code4)
- Premium version of Astute (s90v, CF, perhaps 20% bigger?)
Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. L11:35
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:25 pm
here you go apollo.

4 max is a bit over 10oz, so it makes the c95 feel pretty light and nimble. 5mm blade stock. It definitely puts the C95 into perspective - it's beefy but like you say a performer.

Anyone that can enjoy the Shaman should be able to appreciate the C95
Thx Vivi! Now that is a beast…
If it is up to me Sal may very well make a collab of it if he would ever wish it , just drill a spydiehole true the blade and put some different scales on it… :zany
But i dont know how good the relationship between Spyderco and Coldsteel is since both seem to be on both ends of the knifemaking spectrum. :zany
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

That c95 I bet is a great bigger sized folder. Maybe I’d get one someday but it’s not a knife I really need for my life style. Also I think compared to the cold steel the manix looks like it molds into the hand a lot better than the cold steels ergos. I’m interested in which you prefer vivi?
:bug-red-white