What do you want to see at Shot Show 2024?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Re: What do you want to see at Shot Show 2024?

Post by p_atrick »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:28 pm
When you guys are talking about new designs, is there anything specifically about a design you guys are looking or hoping for?

Something practical? Something eccentric?

Spyderco has some really neat locks that are not widely available. For example, the back lock in the Chaparral. I’d love to see that in a new model.

Spyderco has a reputation for the eccentric. I can’t say that many of these models appeal to me. But I kinda feel like they have gone away from this a bit recently (I could be wrong). There several good reasons for this, but I hope to see the return of the “oddball” designs.

Collaboration with makers can be very exciting too. You can see an expensive model made more accessible while still having a high level of quality. I don’t follow the custom game all that closely, but I’m sure others would have a few suggestions.

Personally, I’m looking forward to the High Performance Delica. I know it doesn’t really fit into the categories listed above, but knives focused on performance (steel, grind, heat treat, etc.) always make for interesting conversation.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Lightweight Backlock Caribbean
Endela Salt
Police Salt (how about “Revenue Cutter” for a name, after the LE precursor to the Coast Guard?)
Li’l Native lightweight Salt
DLC Native Salt, in both Magnacut and LC200N
LC200N versions of the Street Beat and Street Bowie
A new fixed blade to step into the shoes of the Aqua Salt
A full-size, sheepsfoot H2 PE fixed blade rig knife.

That’s probably enough daydreaming. 🙂
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Marcin Slysz SpydieChef 2. Or any nice framelock with sleek lines. I think the stovepipe was sweet. Wish it was a tad bigger and without the horn, but that is the game of collaborations. You may get some artistic choices that you don't like. Spymyto looks promising.

I nice medium size linerlock with great ergos, smooth contouring, made in Golden, with some 15V magic.
🤔

Would like to see a Chaparral with new scale material. Maybe bolsters and some nice inlays. Something like abalone. Maybe a synthetic that has the look, but is more durable. Or just the real thing.
Last edited by JSumm on Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Choiless designs.

Fixed blades.

Performance Delica (or any equivalent sort of thinner geometries and high hollow grinds).

Serrated Spy27.

Some models we know about but haven’t really seen “in action” yet (like your knife, BBB).

More insight into the recent work on steels and the HIC Mule at Spyderco.
For example, MagnaCut’s heat treat and maybe something about higher hardness Spy27 because I recall talk of some in the 65rc range.
I’ve been very happy with my Spy27 knives, but also with my harder tool steels like 15V, K390, Hap40, and RexT15.

Similarly, an official mention of the straight razor? Yesterday, I started learning how to shave with a cheap one. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do (not a new year’s resolution, just a happy accident). The talk of its steel that I’ve seen in the dedicated thread has been intriguing.

An update on Byrd knives.
Not expecting to see any new Byrds, but If I had to ask for one thing from Byrd right now, it would be a handle-forward backlock design. Stout stock, but tall hollow grind, with SpyderEdge and partially serrated options.
I’m fine with any steel, 8Cr13MoV or 7Cr17, but some Byrds have used BD1N and that would be my preference. I like high corrosion resistance.
This would be a main user for me, maybe even more than my Rockjumper and LeafJumper.

I think that’s already a whole lot to ask for, so I’ll spare us the gazillion other things I think a knife should be, as much I’d love to go into excruciating detail.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to contribute more to the forum this year, including finally getting around to some concepts I’ve wanted to discuss for a while.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:35 pm

Endela Salt
Police Salt (how about “Revenue Cutter” for a name, after the LE precursor to the Coast Guard?)

LC200N… Street Beat and Street Bowie… A new fixed blade to step into the shoes of the Aqua Salt… A full-size, sheepsfoot H2 PE fixed blade rig knife…
I like this name a lot.
I didn’t know that history, so thank you for mentioning it.
I’ve suggested a number of times that the Japanese Salts, if they were to be made in MagnaCut versions, could have the red-orange color utilized by the Coast Guard.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

SchoonerBum hit the nail on the head with:
Caribbean Backlock
Endela Salt
Lil Native lw Salt

And I’ll add:
Leaf/Rockjumper Salts
Stretch OG Salt

How bout:
A 15V EDC fixed blade
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Well these are all very interesting ideas that everybody is sharing.

Are there any knives out of the latest reveal that you guys want to see videos or pictures of at the Show?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:27 pm
Well these are all very interesting ideas that everybody is sharing.

Are there any knives out of the latest reveal that you guys want to see videos or pictures of at the Show?
lil native lw and microjimbo. i'd like to see how they compare to each other and to the standard lil native.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:27 pm
Bodacious. Does it have a backspacer like the Shaman or spacers like the PM2?
- Richard
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Oh yeah, I’d really like to see the Bodacious too.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

- Leafjumper XL / Sequoia ("backlock Caribbean")

- Won't happen, but Chaparral XL ( just longer, everything else stays the same (blade and handle thinnes and height))

- "Endela Salt" (but with an a bit longer blade than the Endela, like the Salt 2 has an a bit longer one than the Delica)

- Dfly H2 SE wharnie

- Manix 2 LW SE (BD1N would be fine)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:29 pm
apollo wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:02 pm
I hope to see a bunch of spydies i have seen at last years Amsterdam meet. There are plenty of models i am awaiting i really really want from that day.
What was your favorite?
I can not mention any of them yet and definetly not my favorite one. The downside of inside knowledge i am sure you know well enough. :zany
But i hope Eric was correct planning wise and i can at least see a prototype of that favorite at the new meet.
By the way i liked yours aswel. Its clearly in the made to be a User segment of all the ones that where on the table.
Honestly thinking about it hurts me a little knowing there is so much amazing stuff in the pipeline but not sure if even any of it will even be for this year. :woozy
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:56 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:28 pm
When you guys are talking about new designs, is there anything specifically about a design you guys are looking or hoping for?

Something practical? Something eccentric?
I've recently fallen in love with certain Cold Steel designs. 4 Max, SR1, Recon 1, etc.

I am looking for a Tatanka on the secondary market, but outside of that Spyderco doesn't really make large beefy lockbacks these days.

I love the Police. In fact a new LW in K390 might be on my next knife order. But sometimes something a little more stout is nice.

So I'd love to see some designs more along the lines of those or the old C95. Even a C95 sprint would be fantastic to see.

I prefer sticking with the brand when I can, but if another company is producing something Spyderco doesn't have a comparable model to, it limits my ability to stick to Spyderco.

I guess most might consider these eccentric, impractical pocket swords, but they're anything but that for me. I've got a 4 max in my pocket right now and while its over kill for trimming a thread off a jacket like I did two hours ago, it can also out chop a lot of my fixed blades.

I usually just carry one knife plus a pocket sized multitool, so the more versatile the knife is, the better. So I'd rather carry something that's overkill for trimming threads but it can handle minor trail clearing and batoning wood for a fire, rather than carry a small knife that's more suitable for opening the mail than my 4 Max but can't handle the rough stuff.
In taste of knives i fear we are Dinosaurs.
And honestly i am not sure Spyderco is even interested in being divers enough to make such models in this new age.
Some new coming stuff coming is amazing but honestly eventough i am very hyped about them they do not cover my urge to see Spyderco make another "beast" like the old Manix or first gens Chinooks were.
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

15V Native 5?!?
Windward

Post by Windward »

Id love to see more of the bodacious and spymyto.

As far "in my dreams id like to see"...
Manix salt in lc200n..... we are getting cheifs in both, why not manix? doubt we'd see it but comboedge would be so nice too. Or even just a serrated option

Stretch2 or endela salt.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'm just hoping to see something completely new that isn't a variation on an existing model.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I would be thrilled to see some big, robust utility blades. 4 to 6 inch fixed blades and ~4inch sharpened edge handle forward folders. A Rockjumper XL would make my week (I have three OG Rockjumpers already for work - magnificent design!), as would a Caribbean XL.

Realistically I’ll be pleased to see anything new.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Windward wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:16 am
Id love to see more of the bodacious and spymyto.

As far "in my dreams id like to see"...
Manix salt in lc200n..... we are getting cheifs in both, why not manix? doubt we'd see it but comboedge would be so nice too. Or even just a serrated option

Stretch2 or endela salt.

This and this ;)

I´d pefer a green LC200N Manix 2 LW over a Magnacut one as companion to my REX 45 LW....
and I really would like to see SE in that model, imo it is about time. LC would be perfect for that.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:35 pm
Lightweight Backlock Caribbean
LC200N versions of the Street Beat and Street Bowie
A new fixed blade to step into the shoes of the Aqua Salt
A full-size, sheepsfoot H2 PE fixed blade rig knife.

That’s probably enough daydreaming. 🙂
I like this list.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:05 am
I would be thrilled to see some big, robust utility blades. 4 to 6 inch fixed blades and ~4inch sharpened edge handle forward folders. A Rockjumper XL would make my week (I have three OG Rockjumpers already for work - magnificent design!), as would a Caribbean XL.

Realistically I’ll be pleased to see anything new.
There was supposed to be a larger caribbean but as far as I know the plans for it got scrapped. But seeing that pop up would be a nice surprise.

I'd like to see Spyderco flesh out their extra large offerings some more. The catcherman sprint is a step in the right direction - definitely planning to pick up a pair of them asap!
:unicorn