The Delica Wharncliffe is the greatest work knife ever made.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fastidiotus

Re: The Delica Wharncliffe is the greatest work knife ever made.

Post by Fastidiotus »

I don't love the ergos of the delica but the wharncliffe makes it better. Shame not enough people thought so to keep most of them around.
kobold

Post by kobold »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:27 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:26 pm
I’m not the one struggling with an inferiority or superiority complex because of my hand size here. Only you have been the benchmark of that on this forum
what in the world? :rofl

how insecure do you have to be to get upset at someone for having bigger hands than you :rofl

Said the guy who deems it necessary to inform everyone about the correlation between his hand size and his private body parts in every post. Please don't tell us you mean your feet.
In the largest possible font size available.
I mean, this is ridiculous:

Do we need this mental image again and again?
AFAIK, this is a family friendly platform so this is kinda unsavory IMO and I am surprised the mods are letting it slide..
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Hardesty86 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:45 am
I never understood the spyderco addiction everyone had.....until now lol went to smokey mountain knife works in pigeon forge tenn and hit up the spyderco counter bought a delica warncliff in vg10 steel and i cought the spyderco bug lol! Just joined looking forward to accruing more spyderco knives probably gonna hit up the knife works on way outta town and get a salt in H1 steel just for the heck of it!
Welcome…SMKW is something to behold isn’t it? Great choice on the delica wharnie, it’s absolutely one of my favorites…now go grab that Salt version 👊
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

That mention of SMKW had me going to check. I was surprised to see two different Wharncliffe Delicas. Hmmm. Choices. Choices. But, I'm not quite ready to duplicate a model yet and I already have a superblue/zome Delica and other models still to try.

As for size and fit comparisons, I rechecked handle grips between my Delica and Native. My Native 5 is the Salt Magnacut version. If just checking handle vs hand size, my hand fits better on the handle of the Delica; there is a little extra space at the end of the handle. On the Native, behind the choil, there is enough (barely) to fit my hand. But, there is more to it than just this measurement. I like using a choil more than a ricasso. That grip seems more secure to me, less likely to slip forward onto the edge. There is lots of handle room when I use the choil on the Native. Though the edge length is quite similar, the closed length of the Native is a bit shorter also. I like the slightly thicker handle of the Native more than the Delica. Does being Salt make this handle thicker than other Natives?

While I like the Delica, I give this comparison win to the Native, at least for me.
olywa

Post by olywa »

It's taken me a while but I'm really enjoying my Delica/Salt 2 knives. I recently picked up the K390 Wharnie and just ordered an H2 SE Wharnie. I've got XL size hands but have no problem with these designs for light use, which is where I think they excel.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

kobold wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:57 am
the answer to this is that they wear big gloves. it's not sexual. it's a joke.

olywa wrote: I've got XL size hands but have no problem with these designs for light use, which is where I think they excel.
this was the key for me to actually appreciate the delica. it's not a heavy duty knife. you can bear down on it a bit and it'll withstand it, but it's a smaller knife with a relatively thin grind that just cuts so nicely. use it as a thin pocket knife and you'll love it. expect it to do bushcraft tasks and you'll probably hate it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's the font size for me...screams attention seeker. Something a 15 year old kid would say to get all his buddies on the bus giggling.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TimButterfield wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:45 am
That mention of SMKW had me going to check. I was surprised to see two different Wharncliffe Delicas. Hmmm. Choices. Choices. But, I'm not quite ready to duplicate a model yet and I already have a superblue/zome Delica and other models still to try.

As for size and fit comparisons, I rechecked handle grips between my Delica and Native. My Native 5 is the Salt Magnacut version. If just checking handle vs hand size, my hand fits better on the handle of the Delica; there is a little extra space at the end of the handle. On the Native, behind the choil, there is enough (barely) to fit my hand. But, there is more to it than just this measurement. I like using a choil more than a ricasso. That grip seems more secure to me, less likely to slip forward onto the edge. There is lots of handle room when I use the choil on the Native. Though the edge length is quite similar, the closed length of the Native is a bit shorter also. I like the slightly thicker handle of the Native more than the Delica. Does being Salt make this handle thicker than other Natives?

While I like the Delica, I give this comparison win to the Native, at least for me.
I believe the Native Salt is the same thickness as the Native LW, same with other knives that have both versions available.

When I got into Spyderco I read a lot of horror stories of people getting into unfortunate situations carrying normal sized knives. So, despite that never happening all the years I EDC'd a Buck 110, I became convinced I should seek out the smallest knives I could use in comfort.

So I spent my first couple of years mostly focused on smaller Spydercos. Native, Delica, UKPK, Spin, Cricket, Para 1, Dragonfly, Caly Jr, Caly 3....often multiple runs of each.

Out of those the Delica worked the worst for my grip. The UKPK / Caly series was a lot more ergonomic. But the Native was the best of the bunch

The finger grooves often line up pretty well with my grip, but the issue is there's no where comfortable to put my thumb on models with a prominent thumb ramp. So when I reach for a small / tiny folder, I gravitate towards ones with no ramp.

Somewhere on this site I have photos of a Para 1 And Native 1 I modded to try and get a better grip behind the choil. I sanded down the pinky hook on the Para 1 to give it more space, and on the Native I turned the sharp point behind the last finger groove into a rounded hump.

It was pretty cool seeing Spyderco incorporate those same changes in later versions of those models.

If I ever find myself bound by strict blade length laws, the Native Salt would be my first choice.
:unicorn
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:03 pm
I've got XL size hands but have no problem with these designs for light use, which is where I think they excel.
this was the key for me to actually appreciate the delica. it's not a heavy duty knife. you can bear down on it a bit and it'll withstand it, but it's a smaller knife with a relatively thin grind that just cuts so nicely. use it as a thin pocket knife and you'll love it. expect it to do bushcraft tasks and you'll probably hate it.
[/quote]

Agreed.
Though I’m a caly guy when it comes to thin edc pocket knives I do very much appreciate that about the delica and even the original spyderco folder handle design featured on the worker/harpy/hunter models. Sal really knows how to make a small compact profile into a very ergonomic handle. For light use pocket knives they very much hold true to the philosophy of no more than necessary, no less than perfect
:bug-red-white
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

A couple of Delica with Wharncliffe blades got discontinued in August 2023 so you should be able to get them at a discount.

— C11FPWK390 - DELICA 4 BLUE LIGHTWEIGHT WHARNCLIFFE K390 PLAINEDGE

— C11FSWCBK - DELICA 4 BLACK LIGHTWEIGHT WHARNCLIFFE SPYDEREDGE
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

If the Delica handle does not work for you, don't overlook the Rock Jumper. Get em while you can.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:56 pm
If the Delica handle does not work for you, don't overlook the Rock Jumper. Get em while you can.

agreed, that handle is more comfortable. still excited to see how the larger version pans out.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:

i definitely planned on going this route, but opted for the delica because i wanted a more compact package. i 100% think the rj would be a more comfortable knife in hand though.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Rock Jumper is also on sale and has a quarter of an inch more cutting edge than the Delica.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:40 pm
Rock Jumper is also on sale and has a quarter of an inch more cutting edge than the Delica.
$58 in some places. That along with the Endela Wharncliffe going for about the same. VG-10 in PE or SE that is.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:

Agree ! The Delica Wharnies are great , have two , but the RJ fits my hand better . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
z1r

Post by z1r »

Hmm, I think the best bang for the buck work knife is the Harrier 2 SE Wharnie.

Here's a Meadowlark next to a Delica. The Harrier 2 is just a tad larger but with a much larger blade.

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

RamZar wrote:
but unfortunately only in vg10, as opposed to h2, lc200n, s30v, 20cv, or k390.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

How do the RJ serrations compare to the Delica Wharncliffe serrations, if anyone has both?
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:50 pm
RamZar wrote:
$58 in some places. That along with the Endela Wharncliffe going for about the same. VG-10 in PE or SE that is.
One issue (for me) with the RJ/Endela wharn vs the Delica wharn is that the RJ/Endela are thicker blade stock.

I picked up a K390 Endela wharncliffe and a half mm doesn't seem like a lot but on some cuts the drag is noticeable vs the Delica wharncliffe. I do like the Endela but I really wish it borrowed its stock thickness from the Delica and not the Endura.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."