Would this work, Wharncliff Manix?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Would this work, Wharncliff Manix?

Post by ladybug93 »

one of the best aspects of the manix is that the negative angle and very subtle belly give it almost the same benefits of a wharncliffe while not sacrificing the benefits of a curved blade. i really like wharncliffes and have been carrying my delica wharncliffe a lot, but i personally think the manix only stands to lose from redesigning the blade. by grinding the blade to a wharncliffe shape, you'd have to sacrifice the negative angle it has, unless you change the handle. either way, it's no longer a manix, in my opinion.

the canis or rockjumper might be good alternative options. the yojimbo is a favorite of mine too, with its amazing hollow grind. there are some good options out there, but i don't think it would work with the manix.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:59 pm
one of the best aspects of the manix is that the negative angle and very subtle belly give it almost the same benefits of a wharncliffe while not sacrificing the benefits of a curved blade. ...

This is different for me:

- One big benefit of a wharncliff for me is the completely straight edge, the way it excels at transferring full power in a cut (for example when whittling on a stick) and not tending to "glance off" matter that gets cut

- The Manix 2, as much as I like it, does not feel like that in a cut due to the continuous curve in its edge - or in other words "all belly", even if just "very subtle".
Even a Stretch feels more like a wharnie to me, due to the completely straight edge section it has.

Just my 2c. Might also have something to do with my personal "cutting technique" (or lack thereoff... ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:12 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
one of the best aspects of the manix is that the negative angle and very subtle belly give it almost the same benefits of a wharncliffe while not sacrificing the benefits of a curved blade. ...

- One big benefit of a wharncliff for me is the completely straight edge, the way it excels at transferring full power in a cut (for example when whittling on a stick) and not tending to "glance off" matter that gets cut

- The Manix 2, as much as I like it, does not feel like that in a cut due to the continuous curve in its edge - or in other words "all belly", even if just "very subtle".
Even a Stretch feels more like a wharnie to me, due to the completely straight edge section it has.

Just my 2c. Might also have something to do with my personal "cutting technique" (or lack thereoff... ;) )
i totally get what you're saying. i think the manix would be able to transfer more power in the cut all the way to the tip though when compared to a stretch. the stretch has a straight portion, but once you get to the belly, it'll be much more likely to slide out of the cut and be less efficient than the manix would.

i'm not sure these differences make a huge difference to most people, or in most general usage, but that's the flip side of what you're saying in my mind.

anyway, the point im trying to make is the flat edge is useful for some things, but a completely flat edge is less versatile than what the manix already provides. i'd say the same in regards to the stretch as well. i think they're both better the way they are than if either was made into an actual wharncliffe.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Brant

Post by Brant »

Danke wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:31 pm
How about this with a new lock?

Good find!
I forgot about that one. That looks like it would do the job, the blade shape is perfect. Also, make it easier on Spyderco and fore go the mid blade grinds and go thick the whole length. Drop the Manix lock in it, sign me up.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Brant wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:43 pm
Danke wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:31 pm
How about this with a new lock?

Good find!
I forgot about that one. That looks like it would do the job, the blade shape is perfect. Also, make it easier on Spyderco and fore go the mid blade grinds and go thick the whole length. Drop the Manix lock in it, sign me up.
I think they would have to make the handle a bit deeper to clear the lock so a new model but there's new models all the time.
Brant

Post by Brant »

A Rough edit, but…. It’s not bad
Attachments
534FCB65-2E44-463B-BFAC-711F001A7E14.jpeg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:26 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:12 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

i totally get what you're saying. i think the manix would be able to transfer more power in the cut all the way to the tip though when compared to a stretch. the stretch has a straight portion, but once you get to the belly, it'll be much more likely to slide out of the cut and be less efficient than the manix would.

i'm not sure these differences make a huge difference to most people, or in most general usage, but that's the flip side of what you're saying in my mind.

anyway, the point im trying to make is the flat edge is useful for some things, but a completely flat edge is less versatile than what the manix already provides. i'd say the same in regards to the stretch as well. i think they're both better the way they are than if either was made into an actual wharncliffe.

Very good points! Again my thoughts on those:

- I think you are most likely right: In cuts where one uses all or most of the edge, lets say in "whittling on a stick with very generous motions" the Manix should transfer power better than the Stretch over the whole blade
How I do whittling though most times - rather using the first half of the edge and "shaving" away bark or wood: The Stretch does better for me. Just bites and transfers power a bit better, while the Manix tends to "glance off" a bit more due to the curve already in that first half of the egde.

- Would (most) people notice that difference? Perhaps a little bit, but just if specifically comparing Manix and Stretch in the way I described above, or just cutting into a plastic bottle with the first half of the edge (so NOT piercing with the tip first).
Is this of real life relevance? I guess most times not. I personally just like the way the straight portion of a Stretch edge feels in such tasks a bit better than the feel a curved Manix edge gives. Or I might be just more used to the former and so it does rather feel more familiar to me than actually "better".

- Admittedly I have not much experience with wharnies, but I think in a general EDC folder I prefer both the "Stretch edge" (long, straight section, then short, but pronounced belly) and the Manix type (subtle continiuous curve over the whole edge length, not much belly towards the tip) over a wharnie edge.
This would be different in a very short blade (I think in a Dfly I´d want a wharnie) and if I did a lot of tasks where as much power should get transferred in a cut right from the tip. Like a wharnie obviously does (as Michael Janich demonstrates in his great wharnie vid).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)