Fine tuning S30V ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Fine tuning S30V ?

Post by gull wing »

I have lots of S30V knives and I can get them sharp with the aid of diamonds, Sharpmaker, strop. I don't use my knives very hard anymore so QUESTION:
How would you finish S30V to bring an edge that would slice paper, cut apples, whittle soft wood, a little cardboard?
Does S30V do well with the brown rods finish, or fine rods, or X fine rods?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Roefisher

Re: Fine tuning S30V ?

Post by Roefisher »

I usually sharpen my knives with the Sharpmaker microbevel using the standard medium and fine rods. I got the extra fine rods too but couldn't notice any day to day difference over the standard fine finish. Sure they may have been a little sharper or finer edged but in my EDC it wasn't necessary for my uses.

An odd time I do the full edge with Japanese waterstones. If I get a chip or the knife is blunt, I use the coarse stone, otherwise it's medium and fine waterstones. Then another microbevel again on the Sharpmaker.

I had a fantastic edge pro system a few years ago but foolishly sold it. It was so easy to create a single bevel edge down to a mirror, razor sharp, finish. I wish I still had it today now I'm getting back into my knives again.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

gull wing wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:59 am
I have lots of S30V knives and I can get them sharp with the aid of diamonds, Sharpmaker, strop. I don't use my knives very hard anymore so QUESTION:
How would you finish S30V to bring an edge that would slice paper, cut apples, whittle soft wood, a little cardboard?
Does S30V do well with the brown rods finish, or fine rods, or X fine rods?
10dps bevel with a 15dps microbevel taken to a high polish is what I'd use for lighter work that's primarily push cutting. You could probably get away with going a little thinner but that's thick enough to cover "oops" moments.

I had an S30V Manix I took to about that angle and it held up fine to light chopping and batoning.
:unicorn
R100

Post by R100 »

In my experience S30V finished on the brown rods gives a very sharp edge that lasts well. For me S30V seems to be a steel that loses its very sharp edge quickly if finished at higher grits. I used to do this and was disappointed with S30V. Now I use a toothier edge and I love it!

Dan
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

I have a Lil’ Native in S30v steel and it sharpens right up on my old model 203 Sharpmaker. I tend to use all three rods, medium, fine and ultra fine. The blade gets plenty sharp for my uses. Would it cut as well if I stopped at the fine rod? Yeah it would but I already have the ultra fine rods so why not use them.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Ok buddy's, thanks for the help.
Will put it to good use.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

R100 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:15 pm
In my experience S30V finished on the brown rods gives a very sharp edge that lasts well. For me S30V seems to be a steel that loses its very sharp edge quickly if finished at higher grits. I used to do this and was disappointed with S30V. Now I use a toothier edge and I love it!

Dan
This has been my experience as well.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Fascinating
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Guts

Post by Guts »

kobold wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:48 am
Fascinating
I'm bummed he doesn't make videos anymore. Learned so much from his channel over the years.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Whittle hair - I have a new sharpening objective.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Last time I sharpened my Bugout, I used the CBN rods and just finished with very night strokes. Cuts great.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.