Knife Center Exclusive Native 5, Cruwear + Smooth G-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Netherend

Re: Knife Center Exclusive Native 5, Cruwear + Smooth G-10

Post by Netherend »

Haunted House wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:58 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:35 pm
Haunted House wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:00 am
I’m surprised people dig that smooth G-10.

I have no experience with smooth G10, but I think I would not like it on a Native.

Said it before: In my particular hand the Native feels great when just holding it or in light cutting, but when grpping it harder and doing more higher-resistance cuts, it starts to feel a bit unstable and to "shift and roll" - and this already with the grippy FRN version I had.
Smooth G10 would not exactly make this any better I guess...

Otherwise: Cool knife!! (As the Native is anyway,especially its looks!)
It probably wouldn’t be too bad on a knife like this with a back lock.
My issue with the smooth G-10 was mainly on a compression lock knife, where you have to change your hand position to sort of a pinch grip to activate the lock, that’s when I would drop it.

Before the smooth g-10 para 3, I can only remember ever dropping a knife once, way back when I was younger.
I had this same experience closing the Shaman with my left hand . I could do it with my pm2 but the smooth g10 on the shaman combined with the tiny pinch grip of the comp lock made for a slippery combo. It’s still a great knife but it’s definitely a limitation on a compression lock knife.

With a back lock it should be great.
Just one more knife...
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

KC dropped the price on these to $149.95, as announced on their FB page.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Nice! But I still want more blade for a handle of that size. I guess I'm a Caly guy.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Now that you mention it, a future lightweight Caly exclusive from DLT in Cruwear and OD green FRN sounds enticing.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Anybody know if these would work with a swap with the fluted carbon fiber? All black hardware, lock bar and blade with those scales sure would look good!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
cjk

Post by cjk »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:23 pm
Anybody know if these would work with a swap with the fluted carbon fiber? All black hardware, lock bar and blade with those scales sure would look good!
it does. I previously assembled just what you are describing. I later took it apart so I can't take a picture.
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

Well, somebody with my name just bought one last night, thanks to the resurgence of this thread...

I've had natives in S35VN and M4, but was never satisfied with the steel in either. I've been really liking the CruWear in my PM2, so when I read about this native in CruWear my wallet got mysteriously lighter.

I've been looking for a 3" blade for times when 3.5 is just too long. I really like the N5 handle and have developed great muscle memory with it. I prefer the FRN grip, so I'll see if I can do a handle swap, or do something to improve the grip of the smooth G10 (laminate with micarta, perhaps?)

I almost bought the Lil' Temp 3, but I don't think I'd like how corrosion prone K390 is for primary carry. If they make it in CruWear, I'll probably get it.
-AHAB
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

And supposedly I'll have it tomorrow. Talk about expedited shipping.
-AHAB
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

That seems like a great deal on that Native. Is the hold back for people the smooth G10? Lockbacks have a full grip to close and the Native isn't going anywhere when gripped. If it was not Christmas time I would love to have one.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:26 pm
That seems like a great deal on that Native. Is the hold back for people the smooth G10? Lockbacks have a full grip to close and the Native isn't going anywhere when gripped. If it was not Christmas time I would love to have one.
I actually like the smooth G10 now. I'm kind of done with shredded pockets (I loosen the clips on all my peel-ply G10 models now). This KC exclusive has been calling me each time they do another run. I have a few knives with Cruwear but no Native. Problem is I have too many other Natives, too close to Christmas, and I spent a lot of money on my Christmas/Birthday gift to myself. So I have to look the other way :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
adv23

Post by adv23 »

I have the Manix 2 in this configuration and it is fantastic!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

The satin version is one of my top dogs, and I have the DLC Manix too which is great, I just don't love coated blades.

The price does make it hard to resist. It's the same price the satin blade model was in 2019.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Add me to the list of folks who like this config. I have the manix. I'd rather have satin(all black is a bit tacticool for me), but the cruwear and smooth g10 is great. The handle feels plenty grippy for me (it's smooth but not polished) and is easier on the pocket than textured g10. I prefer cruwear to the standard s30v, it's stainless enough, holds an edge just as well and is easier/quicker to sharpen up. It's probably far tougher too, but I generally don't beat on folding knives enough to notice.

If I didn't just receive the jolly ol' Christmas credit card bill, I'd be ordering one.
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

Just got it today. This makes 4 natives now--starting to look like a family (S35VN with liners, M4 LW, Magnacut SE, and now Cruwear).

The lockbar and backspacer are actually a really dark brown, not black (and the blade may be too, I can't decide). The overall finish, besides the satin clip, is very matte. No complaints, just observations.
Handle is definitely too slick for me. I'll have to think about how I want to increase the grip on the non-clip side while I break in the action over the next few days. I may just bolt on a thin slab of something using the clip screw holes. I wouldn't mind a slightly thicker handle.
-AHAB
cjk

Post by cjk »

Vamais wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:28 pm
Just got it today. This makes 4 natives now--starting to look like a family (S35VN with liners, M4 LW, Magnacut SE, and now Cruwear).

The lockbar and backspacer are actually a really dark brown, not black (and the blade may be too, I can't decide). The overall finish, besides the satin clip, is very matte. No complaints, just observations.
Handle is definitely too slick for me. I'll have to think about how I want to increase the grip on the non-clip side while I break in the action over the next few days. I may just bolt on a thin slab of something using the clip screw holes. I wouldn't mind a slightly thicker handle.
Ripps Garage Tech makes stick on scale stickers for various Spyderco models including the Native 5. They actually increase grip at a very reasonable price.
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

cjk wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:54 pm
Ripps Garage Tech makes stick on scale stickers for various Spyderco models including the Native 5. They actually increase grip at a very reasonable price.
Looks like a good idea, but the adhesive doesn't look strong enough to me. I'm looking for permanent. Maybe I'll just find some textile with a texture I like and glue it on.
-AHAB
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

The pictures online don't do it justice, but I just love how black this native is. It's very black-hole absence of color. It's a really classy black, like a nice suit, not a tactical black like cordura and paracord.
-AHAB