SNK Manix 2 LW is coming!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: SNK Manix 2 LW is coming!!!

Post by Mushroom »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:57 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:15 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:24 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:02 am
Cant wait to see photos of these full size SNK Manix LW’s in the wild! It’s surprising that they did the Oversized Manix before the normal, full sized Manix LW.
Maybe SNK thinking of natural succession. G10 models before the lightweight or possibly what worked best for both parties to get product out the door . Hopefully you may see a Lil Native and would not be surprised to see a Millie 2 in the future . Dan
They did a compression lock Lil Native in the past but a backlock variant would be super cool!
Or the Wharncliffe version. They mentioned on social media they still had a few Golden Models left to do. The Yojimbos/Yojumbos are out I believe due to the red. I would be down for the Wharncliffe Lil Native!
Agreed, the Lil Native wharncliffe would be just as cool to see too.

There is also the Lil Native Lightweight. It hasn’t been released at dealers but it has been revealed. Whether or not exclusives of it can be ordered yet, I like to be optimistic that we will eventually see some of those as well. I’d really take any Lil Native variant though, I’m not picky. I’ll take ALL the Lil Natives! :star-struck
-Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

So...anybody received their red 4V LW/FRCP Manix 2 yet? St N's is in Alabama, I'm in California, so I'm sure to get mine last (in the continental US)...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

It seems the USPS tracking system is on the fritz here!! 😮
John 🎅
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
XjJunky

Post by XjJunky »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:07 pm
So...anybody received their red 4V LW/FRCP Manix 2 yet? St N's is in Alabama, I'm in California, so I'm sure to get mine last (in the continental US)...
Haven't even got a shipping notification yet for mine. Guess we shall see by the end of the day. Also have a order in at Blad HQ from early last week that has also not shipped. Love there inventory but the shipping on there part has always sucked. Sent them a pissy email and still waiting to hear back from them. Going to order the GP Knife Manix exclusive tomorrow too. So 4 knives that probably won't show up by Christmas, as 2 of them are gifts 🙄
:usflag Living Till The Death Of Me :bug-red-white
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Mine is still in "pre-shipment, USPS awaiting item" stage, according to St N's.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
vivi

Post by vivi »

My mini manix isn't in USPS's hands yet, so I'd guess wednesday or thursday at the earliest for me. I'm a little closer to them than you.
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:02 pm
My mini manix isn't in USPS's hands yet, so I'd guess wednesday or thursday at the earliest for me. I'm a little closer to them than you.
Same here still at SNK . My thoughts Thursday or Friday , depends of movement tomorrow . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m confused, I thought this was a Manix 2 LW exclusive not a Manix 83mm exclusive? :thinking
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Vivi just being a clown over the whole thing, must not have much going on...
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The 725 unit drop sold out in a few hours so I guess the guy in shipping has his work cut out for him.

I can wait, as I'd rather they take it slowly and make sure that every package goes out correctly.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

From previous exclusives, I recall St Nicks being one of the quickest to get the drops shipped out. Could be an influx around the holidays with other purchases coming through to them, or employees having time off.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:31 pm
From previous exclusives, I recall St Nicks being one of the quickest to get the drops shipped out. Could be an influx around the holidays with other purchases coming through to them, or employees having time off.

Plus, USPS is probably overloaded, when the packages do make it into the system. Throughout the rest of the year I've seen no damaged boxes but in December I've gotten two smashed boxes. Must be rough, being a mail carrier this time of year. Still, haven't had any go missing (as in olden days), so their tracking must be excellent.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:02 am
IME Rex45 shows a bit better edge retention, while 4V is a bit faster to sharpen. I don't see a huge difference in them in small folders.

Well, pretty much the reason why - despite I initially planned on doing so - I did not get the 4V Manix LW in the end.

I love the Manix LW platform, but it is still more of a "niche" knife for me due to its rather small size and short edge (normally I prefer larger folders for EDC), so after some thought I figured if I have two pieces at all, the second one should really be different to my beloved REX 45 LW.

So now I think I´ll rather get another BD1N version again (had one already).
BD1N certainly is more different to REX 45 than 4V would be, and a BD1N Manix will make for a supereasy and -fun to sharpen sibling.

And: Any new Manix LW will give me that screw construction anyway: Not that I ever had any issues with the three pinned Manix LWs I used and use a lot. But I´d really like to re- and disassemble a CBBL knife at least once, just out of interest in folders and locking mechanisms. Could not do so so far due to the pinned construction.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:52 pm
Tuesday mine still says pre shipment also
Edit: but my knifejoker para 3 shipped from Cali Saturday and will be here tomorrow on east coast.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mrj wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:45 am
Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:52 pm
Tuesday mine still says pre shipment also
Edit: but my knifejoker para 3 shipped from Cali Saturday and will be here tomorrow on east coast.
Could be more than likely be a manpower issue . Unless they bulk up shipping the orders are probably overwhelming for a small crew . They likely have other orders besides the Exclusive drop to deal with getting out before Christmas . Just have to be patient , wife is getting me a box of that for Christmas ! 🤭 MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:30 am
...so after some thought I figured if I have two pieces at all, the second one should really be different to my beloved REX 45 LW...

Hm. Personally, I would consider REX45 and 4V quite different steels, but I suppose that's a judgment call.
Attachments
toughness.png
vivi

Post by vivi »

that's the on paper toughness though. In a 3" folder that won't come into play very much, at least not for me.
:unicorn
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
...so after some thought I figured if I have two pieces at all, the second one should really be different to my beloved REX 45 LW...

Hm. Personally, I would consider REX45 and 4V quite different steels, but I suppose that's a judgment call.
Deformation resistance and impact toughness are different.

4V will be tougher but Rex 45 will resist deformation better.

There can be circumstances where a end user would interpret one as being "tougher" than the other when performing a demanding task and looking at the edge and seeing no damage on one and damage on the other depending on what's being done on what and what the geometry is.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:04 pm
that's the on paper toughness though. In a 3" folder that won't come into play very much, at least not for me.

I assume "on paper" is shorthand for "laboratory tested, with extraneous variables held constant." I take your point that a 3" folder might not see conditions calling for a great deal of toughness. On the other hand, it might. We have the concurrent "Gotta rethink my hunting knife" thread where a forumite lost a fair amount of his 2.9" S110V (low toughness) edge while dressing his game. As you say, it depends on one's use. When working on houses, where hidden staples and nails abound, where sacks of concrete sometimes have rude stones in them, where carpet has whatever it has that makes it so intractable-- toughness is an important variable (for me) and I'd not consider Rex45 and 4V to be similar steels.

Rex45 is an oddity in one respect. It's in a tight cluster of stainless steels, yet isn't stainless. And Magnacut has made 4V an oddity in one respect: You can now get nearly the same catra/toughness tradeoff with a stainless steel.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:42 pm
Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Deformation resistance and impact toughness are different.

4V will be tougher but Rex 45 will resist deformation better.

There can be circumstances where a end user would interpret one as being "tougher" than the other when performing a demanding task and looking at the edge and seeing no damage on one and damage on the other depending on what's being done on what and what the geometry is.
Bolster wrote:
vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:04 pm

I assume "on paper" is shorthand for "laboratory tested, with extraneous variables held constant." I take your point that a 3" folder might not see conditions calling for a great deal of toughness. On the other hand, it might. We have the concurrent "Gotta rethink my hunting knife" thread where a forumite lost a fair amount of his 2.9" S110V (low toughness) edge while dressing his game. As you say, it depends on one's use. When working on houses, where hidden staples and nails abound, where sacks of concrete sometimes have rude stones in them, where carpet has whatever it has that makes it so intractable-- toughness is an important variable (for me) and I'd not consider Rex45 and 4V to be similar steels.

Well, I am not claiming to be a steel expert at all - but I think I still can grasp what Shawn means.

In fact, there is that rather well known short vid by him (Shawn/BBB), where the edge toughness of REX 45 gets compared to the edge toughness of M4.
And REX 45 does better than M4 in that particular, pretty hard test (chipping/rolling when cutting brass rods)
- see here https://youtu.be/WOpu13O_OFE?si=C6h4QQ49gtK5suLU

Now I know M4 is not 4V - but if we go by Larrins charts (https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/ ... esistance/) M4s toughness ("6.5") is very close to 4Vs ("7").
But still in the above linked test REX 45 with its only "4.5" toughness can take more and seems to be better than M4 in what many WOULD actually call "toughness". (Edit: And this despite the REX 45 is even run harder on the Rockwell scala than that M4)

Anyway: In my personal use REX 45 appears to be really tough (I have only one knife in that steel though, the Manix 2 LW)
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)