Where Have all the Calys Gone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Where Have all the Calys Gone?

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:43 am
1.) I more and more prefer "meat" beneath the index finger - so where the index finger normally sits, the handle (choil) should be rather wide, generally and in relation to the rest (back) of the handle.

This is a very interesting comment to me. I think I'm in agreement.

I think of it in a slightly different way, but I suspect it means the same (tell me if you agree): I like a choil that sits well back into the handle, rather than a choil that takes up a lot of blade. Look at the GB1 or the Military or the Rescue or the Kapara, they all have the choil well into the handle. The Watu is sort of a variation on the theme. These designs allow "meat beneath the index finger." It also means longer edge per size of knife. (Is this possible only with larger knives? But the Para has a bit of choil-into-handle so I guess not.)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:20 pm
The current plan includes; a continuation of the Caly 3 in traditional carbon fiber, a Caly 3.5 (3.5" blade) in both traditional carbon fiber and a light weight version. A Caly 4 (4.0" blade) in carbon fiber. A Caly 2.5 (2.5" blade). And a necklace pendant miniature (non locking) in 4 handle variations. This will increase the size of the "family" and assuming all goes well, we can make variations (requested by you) in different materials.
It will not likely be a high volume series, even as a light weight due to the limited capacity of the maker, but we are pleased and proud to be able to provide this unusual folder series to you....
Thank you for the background and info!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

A Caly 4" - thank you, Sal!!
That's gonna phenomenal!! 👏 👏 👏
Will they be made with VG10?
toomanyquestions

TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:17 am
For yet another comparison, here is a Caly 3.5 along with a bunch of different Spydies. If you need some isolated comparisons of any of these, let me know.
Thanks!
toomanyquestions

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:33 pm
Well, I have a Caly 3, a 3.5, and a Centofante 3&4 as well as a few current production folders (well, maybe more than a few). What would you like to see compared?
I was thinking of the Caly's and Centofante's along side current spyderco models such as the para 3, endura, stretch 2, delica, etc. I have handled 3 of 4 of those (and a few others) and mental reference points are always helpful. The endura, for example, has a surprisingly good carry profile; it looks like the Caly 3.5 might be similar in that regard.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Caly and Endura I can do. Caly and Delica or Native I can do. Ditto with Cento. Para3 not so much.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:05 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:33 pm
Well, I have a Caly 3, a 3.5, and a Centofante 3&4 as well as a few current production folders (well, maybe more than a few). What would you like to see compared?
I was thinking of the Caly's and Centofante's along side current spyderco models such as the para 3, endura, stretch 2, delica, etc. I have handled 3 of 4 of those (and a few others) and mental reference points are always helpful. The endura, for example, has a surprisingly good carry profile; it looks like the Caly 3.5 might be similar in that regard.
I don't have a Centofante, but have some others. Here are some comparison images. Top to bottom or back to front: Stretch 2 XL, Endura 4, Para 3, Delica 4, Caly 3.5, Native 5 Salt.

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Here are some comparison pix.
Delica, Efficient, Caly 3, Centofante 3, Caly 3.5, Endura, and Centofane4

Chaparral, Sage, Caly 3, Centofante 3, Caly 3.5, Centofante 4, Native 5 LW.
Manix2 LW, Caly 3.5, Centofante 3, Caly 3, Sage and Chaparral.
Top to bottom: Centofante 3, Endura, Caly 3.5, Caly 3, Chaparral.
One that I find interesting; Centofante3, Shaman, Caly 3.5
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Some in-hand pictures in my oversized mitt.

Caly 3.5

Caly 3
Native5 LW
Endura
UKPK
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Great photos yall !!
:bug-red-white
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:11 am
Wartstein wrote:
cabfrank wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:39 am

2.) I prefer rather straight edges to "curvy" ones (so rather a more or less straight long edge section over a pronounced continuous curve)
Also not sure how the Caly 3.5 does here, but I know that I will try and enjoy the design in any case. Backlock, 3.00 blade stock, rather "low" tip - great!

I’d say it really depends on what you’re cutting, a lot of belly will slice and cut deeper and straight geometry’s cut with more precise control.
A negative angled/low tip leaf blade with a gradual continuous belly seems to be the best compromise in versatility and works great for precise utility and slicing incredibly well too.

To be more clear:

I am not saying at all that straight edges are inherently "better" than such with more of an continuous curve!
It is just that in my use and the personal preferences I developed to the point in my "knife journey" I am standing right now folders with straighter edges / a long, straight section in the edge work a bit better.

I think I have to respectfully disagree though with the "a lot of belly will slice and cut deeper" thing - for me it is rather the opposite, and the straight edge cuts with more power resp. transfers the power better.
This is also what Michael Janich says about wharnies, and knives like the Stretch ARE actually "wharnies" in the first, completely straight section of the blade (of course then, unlike on a wharnie, a belly begins to rise) - see for example his great vid about wharncliffes (start at about 6:20 for the cutting mechanic of straight edges) https://youtu.be/hnPhVIFZTb0?si=wVlX0osN8PPPye5h&t=380

Also, folders with a completely straight section in the first part of the edge and THEN a belly actually tend to have a more substantial belly towards the tip than knives with a continuously curved edge.
So kind of "best of both worlds" imo:
1.) A straight edge section for full power transfer that is also less likely to glance of matter that gets cut
2.) A rather short, but pronounced belly towards the tip for when one wants to do for example rocking motions on a cutting board or for detailled skinning...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I really enjoy my calys and carried this SB 3.5 for almost 5 years before gifting it to a friend. I still have a few others, but generally carry light weights now. Definitely looking forward to the 3.5 LW
calys.jpg
Tristan_david2001

Love those nicely patina’d 3.5’s
Tristan_david2001

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:58 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:11 am
Wartstein wrote:
cabfrank wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:39 am

2.) I prefer rather straight edges to "curvy" ones (so rather a more or less straight long edge section over a pronounced continuous curve)
Also not sure how the Caly 3.5 does here, but I know that I will try and enjoy the design in any case. Backlock, 3.00 blade stock, rather "low" tip - great!

I’d say it really depends on what you’re cutting, a lot of belly will slice and cut deeper and straight geometry’s cut with more precise control.
A negative angled/low tip leaf blade with a gradual continuous belly seems to be the best compromise in versatility and works great for precise utility and slicing incredibly well too.

To be more clear:

I am not saying at all that straight edges are inherently "better" than such with more of an continuous curve!
It is just that in my use and the personal preferences I developed to the point in my "knife journey" I am standing right now folders with straighter edges / a long, straight section in the edge work a bit better.

I think I have to respectfully disagree though with the "a lot of belly will slice and cut deeper" thing - for me it is rather the opposite, and the straight edge cuts with more power resp. transfers the power better.
This is also what Michael Janich says about wharnies, and knives like the Stretch ARE actually "wharnies" in the first, completely straight section of the blade (of course then, unlike on a wharnie, a belly begins to rise) - see for example his great vid about wharncliffes (start at about 6:20 for the cutting mechanic of straight edges) https://youtu.be/hnPhVIFZTb0?si=wVlX0osN8PPPye5h&t=380

Also, folders with a completely straight section in the first part of the edge and THEN a belly actually tend to have a more substantial belly towards the tip than knives with a continuously curved edge.
So kind of "best of both worlds" imo:
1.) A straight edge section for full power transfer that is also less likely to glance of matter that gets cut
2.) A rather short, but pronounced belly towards the tip for when one wants to do for example rocking motions on a cutting board or for detailled skinning...
I agree straight edges cut with more power, and are especially effective at transferring the same force you apply at the heel of the blade to the tip, the compromise here of course is slice-ability. When an edge curves it promotes the matter to separate across the edge and therefore slice better, rather than trying to push a flat geometry through a cut. I was really just trying to make the point that the negative angle leaf blades sal and Eric popularly use are extremely effective as all around users, utility, self defense, slicing, food prep, even skinning if ur careful.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Great comparison pics!
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

One thing that jumps out at me in those comparison photos is the difference in blade to handle ratio between the 3.5 and Delica 4.

About an inch more blade squeezed into virtually the same handle.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Id like to see the new light weight caly with the fishscale texture frn. Loved that on the caly jr. it looks great and works excellently
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:58 am
...folders with a completely straight section in the first part of the edge and THEN a belly actually tend to have a more substantial belly towards the tip than knives with a continuously curved edge.
So kind of "best of both worlds" imo...

Agree. Have come to the same preference myself. Watu another example.

270ultimate wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:32 pm
About an inch more blade squeezed into virtually the same handle.

Amazing, isn’t it. An efficient design, very pocketable.

capt.carl wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:14 pm
Id like to see the new light weight caly with the fishscale texture frn. Loved that on the caly jr. it looks great and works excellently

Agree again…that fishscale was a fantastic “just right” grippy pattern. Looked cool, too.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for posting that video link. I think it's something that all knife afi's should watch. Mike Janich, in my opinion, is one of the best knife designers of our time. One of the really important things about Mike is that there is no BS. His concepts re very well thought out, and if he says it, then you can expect that he's done it. He is all about the cut, and not the visual. Also, he's constantly learning and evolving in his thinking, which means later designs have the "edge" of his evolving.

One argument for the constant curved cutting edge is the single point aspect of the edge in a strike. That's a strike with the edge making first contact, like in a Katana were the edge and not the tip is first contact.

We've not made a serrated Yojmbo, mostly because as Michael says, it can hand up in clothing. Though I think a carefully sharpened serration, like Davids thread will go through clothing just fine, in my opinion. I think I'd like to make a serrated Yojimbo, at least as a Sprint for those interested. I would also like to make a Yojimbo with Michael's deep high hollow to a very thin edge. At least as a Sprint. I didn't want to make it at the time because the concept was quite foreign to most knife people, but I think that now it would gain enough traction to be worth a try.

sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Serrated Yojimbo and more Calys?

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005