What knife do you actually carry and use the most?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
riclaw

Re: What knife do you actually carry and use the most?

Post by riclaw »

The Shaman. I don't do that much cutting so how a knife carries is more important to me. The smooth contoured G10 doesn't catch on my hand when I go to retrieve my keys. I don't notice the weight, even wearing lightweight pants.

The smooth G10 Knife Center exclusives are tempting, but they lack the contouring.

I'm hoping someone will make a set of contoured G10 scales for the Bodacious when it comes out. Right now I feel like the Bodacious is less a "choil-less Shaman" than it is its own new thing.
- Richard
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

For this year, these two. 15V PM2 and MagnaCut Small Sebenza. The Sebenza in general probably gets the overall most used nod for the past few years, though previously I was using a couple S45VN ones. With apologies to Spyderco, I still think the small Sebenza is the ultimate form of the every day carry pocket knife, for me. On the other side, 15V has just turned out to perfectly please my inner steel nerd, and the PM2 closely follows the Sebenza for a daily carry pocket knife. The PM2 is better if I need a full size handle (especially if I have gloves on) and does have a little more blade length. With a deep carry clip the PM2 carries discretely and comfortably. I've always been a fan of the compression lock, too.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I rotate every day, but lately some version of the Chaparral probably gets the most carry, followed by the P.I.T.S. folder. For a long time it was the PM2. If out of the house it's more likely a large folder: some sort of Salt Series if at the beach or on the bike, a Millie or Stretch 2 XL otherwise.

I use whatever knife is on me. I seldom go get a different knife for a specific task, unless it's gardening. Then it's a Resilience S35VN or a Matriarch 2, depending on the job.
Laphroaig9

Post by Laphroaig9 »

Yojumbo (in tight pocket) and black Matriarch (in left pocket). Usually have a PM2 for non-defense cutting purposes.
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

At home, I've been carrying a Civivi Elementum Copper flipper I picked up recently. Outside the house, I have been alternating between a Stretch 2 with Suingab micarta flame scales / Lynch deep carry clip and a PM2 with Lynch deep carry clip and custom laser engraving on the blade from Lynch.

I am torn between really liking the PM2 compression lock and the design and beauty of the Stretch blade. The flipper replaced my Native 5 for carrying around the house due to the fun factor.

Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Delica 4. Hap40, S30V wharnie, and M390 variants most common. Hap40 probably takes it overall but it would be close.

Endura4 (K390, 20CV) if I know blade length won't be an issue but a lot of times it's easier to just have a Delica and no worries.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I have three knives that go to work with me more than any others
Manix xl s30v
Para2 s30v serrated
Cold steel ad10
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

After thinking about it, Overall, probably carry and use the dragonfly the most. It just disappears clipless in the pocket. The chaparral is a close second.

I do use a pac salt or endura quite a bit. I do not necessarily carry them much - I just simply use them/pick them up around the house, from a vehicle, etc.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Most carried and used over the last decade is the PM2. The S90V DLC is the current favourite for 2023.

The next few weeks while on summer holiday it will be the UKPK S110V on person, but the PM2 is tagging along in a bag.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I carry one knife at a time so that is the one that I use while carrying it.

I think my Manix 2 LW Rex45 gets carried the most. In my rotation I have PM2 in S110V, M4 and K390, and Manix 2 LW in S110V and Rex45. I'm sure the Rex45 gets carried the most, at some times I just keep carrying it so it might get carried almost as much as the other 4 put together.

When I was going to my office every weekday I had a routine and each knife in the rotation get carried exactly the same amount. Now that I work part time from home I don't have as much of a routine. I might start carrying a knife for awhile and when I decide to change to the next knife there is no telling how long I've been carrying the current one.
Crox

Post by Crox »

I generally gravitate to a PM2 or Manix 2. I have 6 of each in different steels.

However, a factory second PM2 in Maxamet has the most carry and use over the last year. I have no clue why it’s a second. It has better action than any of my firsts - especially unlocking and closing without looking almost always perfectly closes with one hand. It’s guilt free to use it since it was relatively very inexpensive. And of course, stays sharp.
Spyderbot_matrix

Post by Spyderbot_matrix »

My typical carry day in and out is a Manix 2 DLC that’s got ptsd from all the crap I put it through. Put still does it job, flying aces.

The alternate(s) is betwenn a s110v para3 or s45vn para 3 digicamo dlc. Definitely an elegant weapon from a more civilized time lol.

My food knife is a Resilience FRN, cause a folder chef knife checks all the boxes and my lady likes to half her sandwiches
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:48 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:38 am
I find there is often a difference between what people carry and what they use, in some respects. Many "carry" a larger knife, but a smaller pocket knife actually gets the most use. T.....
]
It's the opposite for me.

The past week I've mostly carried a Cold Steel SR1 and Leatherman Squirt. Both recently reprofiled to a very keen edge.

I always reach for the big knife.

Same here.

I pretty much always have some second blade on me - usually a Vic Rambler or a variant of the LM Juice or the LM Squirt or the LM Micra [sidenote: Funny- or rather sad - that all three of those LM models are not made anymore. All very nice and capable for their small sizes].

But for cutting tasks 99.99 % of the times I use my dedicated EDC folder, which normally and ideally has Endura size.
I just love to use and test my larger Spydies in whatever task might occur, and imo an Endura sized blade is just superior and more efficient in many task than a smaller one.

Typical carry (lighter despite I don't smoke)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Admittedly, I do carry a "beater" and a "sweeter". One of them, is cheap, and if it breaks, chips/dents, or whatever else, I'm not going to cry over it. However, the other, I kind of reserve for tasks only which I am certain it is not going to incur damage from.

A Victoronix "Tinkerer" is my beater, and a 15V Manix 2 is my sweeter. Frankly, the SAK sees much more of a variety of uses, but it's hard to say it actually sees more use. Because while I reach for the SAK's small pen blade to scrape battery terminals, strip wires, hand to a friend who asks, "Do you have a knife?" without knowing what unholy task they're going to use it for, etc. I tend to actually use the Manix 2 quite a bit too to break down lots of cardboard, cut tape, open packages, etc. Really, I got it as my cardboard-processing knife, and that's what I use it for the most, and frankly it's probably seen a lot more actual use in that role than my SAK, even if the frequency of doing that is pretty low. If I end up requiring a more keen edge, but I have some question as to whether it will chip out 15V, then I use the 3" blade on the SAK.

And, of course, I have a prybar as well... I carry the Manix 2 and the pry-bar in a little pocket sheath rather than clipping either on my pants-pocket, because I find that's a great way to lose either one when you sit down and it rubs up against the edge of the seat.

kobold

Post by kobold »

For EDC, last year it was the PITS and the S90V CF Native 5, this year it was my maple and raffir Chaps, a Sebenza 21, and a SAK usually.

Right now it's the Stretch 2XL.

In the summer, the Dragonfly salt SE was always on me.
For garden/yard duty, the Salt SE and Spy27 Native, the Caribbean sheepfoot SE and the K390 Stetch saw the most use.

A bedside table S110V Millie and ULB Barkie for snacks.

In the kitchen, Bark Rivers and Z-Cuts.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:18 pm
For this year, these two. 15V PM2 and MagnaCut Small Sebenza. The Sebenza in general probably gets the overall most used nod for the past few years, though previously I was using a couple S45VN ones. With apologies to Spyderco, I still think the small Sebenza is the ultimate form of the every day carry pocket knife, for me. On the other side, 15V has just turned out to perfectly please my inner steel nerd, and the PM2 closely follows the Sebenza for a daily carry pocket knife. The PM2 is better if I need a full size handle (especially if I have gloves on) and does have a little more blade length. With a deep carry clip the PM2 carries discretely and comfortably. I've always been a fan of the compression lock, too.

Just curious, how do you sharpen your knives ? Free hand or do you use a sharpening system?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
shane1

Post by shane1 »

kobold wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:52 am
For EDC, last year it was the PITS and the S90V CF Native 5, this year it was my maple and raffir Chaps, a Sebenza 21, and a SAK usually.

For garden/yard duty, the Salt SE and Spy27 Native, the Caribbean sheepfoot SE and the K390 Stetch saw the most use.

How do you like the Stretch XL G10?
shane1

Post by shane1 »

I’ve been carrying the Military 2 in S30V the most. Just moved to K390 Stretch 2 because my wife wanted to borrow the Military.
kobold

Post by kobold »

shane1 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:25 am
kobold wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:52 am

How do you like the Stretch XL G10?
It's still a newcomer, still with the factory edge, but I compared it with the Millie and the Native Chief cutting up pumpkins and they all performed equally well. Also it is great to use with gloves. Great for cardboard. The only thing I don't like so far is the disassembly/reassembly, I was actually stuck, until I found a trick to do it, but only with the help of a rubber hammer XD. And related to that, I wish the torx screws are larger. So I don't think I will take it apart again.
Other than that, no problem. No blade play, centered, good tolerances, F&F and remarkable blade to handle ratio. The edge is not touching the lanyard tube either, which used to be an issue in some of the the early ones a year ago.. Just what I wanted.

The OG Military is still my #1 large folder, but the Native Chief and the S2XL share the second place.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
shane1

Post by shane1 »

Thanks. Thinking about the OG also. I like larger knives. Considering Endura, S2XL, Native Chief, Yojumbo, Police and OG Military.