A copper spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: A copper spyderco

Post by ladybug93 »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:15 am
ferider wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:18 pm
Never understood the attraction, Cu is (very) heavy, soft and poisonous.

Now, Cu anodized Titanium or Aluminum are very nice.

Roland.
As long as you don't eat your copper knife scales or grind them into a dust and breath it in, copper toxicity is not something to be concerned about.
unless you live in california. everything causes cancer and birth defects there.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

For an edc carry pen, I love metals. Brass, stainless steel and, especially, copper. Great strength and carry / wear character. One of my Holy Grails was a copper Kaweco Sport fountain pen but they never did make one. The nearest they came was the new bronze Sport which is a great looker with some use but I still fancy a straight-up copper one if it ever happens.

So I do like metals but a knife scale is completely different matter for me. I much prefer the grip of G-10 when I'm using a knife so I'd have to say no to a metal scale, even copper. I understand some folks like them, but just not me!

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Copper is not poisonous (to ingest). Drinking water pipes in your home often are made out of copper, and various cookware items can be made out of copper. It's also sometimes used in healthcare high-touch applications because it has anti-bacterial products (I think it has to be 60% copper for anti-bacterial properties).

Bronze, on the other hand, can contain lead... so I usually avoid products made out of Bronze.
RLR

Post by RLR »

IMG_1428.jpeg
IMG_1429.jpeg
Resurrected threads can be great. Lil Native small enough to handle copper scales (Flytanium). One of my personal favourites.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I have been drinking from copper for a long time and have had no known issues.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:52 pm
🤝🤙
MRj “Weak things break!”
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

I've jumped on the copper scales bandwagon because I like copper and I already use it for health reasons. If anyone takes Zinc as a supplement or even via natural foods and doesn't obtain enough copper in their diet or environment (a 10:1 ratio is about right), things get out of whack. Both of these minerals are involved in our immune and anti-oxidant functions. If you have too much Zinc, your body will take copper from your internal systems like your joints which can cause additional arthritis. Copper bracelets and rings can help provide copper to the body.

I learned all of these during the COVID fiasco and from doing my own extensive research. I have also learned a balance for myself of what works. Everyone is different. This is not medical advice.

Now, about knives....

Copper scales can be an additional source of copper for your daily input if you use your knife on a regular basis and the knife is not coated. Like many scales, it can become an artistic piece that is uniquely yours as it changes over time. Whether you clean it back to shiny or not is a personal preference.

I recently bought copper scales for a PM2, Para 3, and Delica 4 during the Black Friday sales. They still need to be installed. I fully expect to use the Para 3 and Delica more than the PM2.

I also bought my first non-Spyderco knife in years, a Civivi Elementum Copper, which is actually a pretty nice little flipper knife. I specifically got it to flip and fidget with while on the couch because it has copper scales and it serves that purpose well. Unfortunately, Spyderco does not have ANY knives that are flippers in that size. I wish they did.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
sal

Post by sal »

Well, Glutofknives, at 3 pages, I'd like more information.

There are many ways to use copper, even veneers that can be mated to Carbon fiber that would be both light, attractive and unusual. Push the envelope. A 1 cent copper coin inlayed into a Carbon Fiber scale, USA made folder? What can WE do in copper, ("we" being you and me), that would be a fun project and create an unusual sprint?

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

glutofknives wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:59 pm
IIRC sal said they tried it with the chapparal but had issues sourcing material, so maybe taiwan models are a no go.

Too bad - I think the Chap platform would be ideal for copper, since due to its small footprint and thin scales the overall / absolute weight would still not get too high.

Any smaller though (and even less cutting edge than the Chap) would not really interest me personally anymore.

I am a lightweight guy, but would still really like a copper Chap, since I love knife materials (true both for blade and handle) that "age", "have a life", show use and give each piece a unique, distinct look over time. Copper should be great for that, but in larger, thicker folders would make for a too heavy weight for my preferences.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:52 pm
🤣🤣🤣
Danke

Post by Danke »

I vote for a copper Ikuchi. Not a big knife to keep the weight down, a bit of a gents folder. Paired with some kind of less stainless steel for the blade so it'll change with the copper.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

What about Lightning Strike Carbon Fiber with copper in the weave? Like the Sprint run C146CFP Szabo.
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

An A.T.R. 2 with thin copper scales or scales that have some indents in them that help shave weight while still matching the holes in the handles. A SS scales version was already done and copper is about 13% heavier than SS on average. If the indents could shave a little weight off, I think most copper aficionados would accept that readily. Plus, based upon other things I have read, there appears to be support for an ATR sprint run. Just a thought on how to make it happen in a cost effective way that also meets market demand. You would certainly have me as a customer.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
jdw

Post by jdw »

I like the idea of a copper lil native along the lines of what RLR posted but with REX45 (are you listening BHQ?) or M4 to patina with the copper. Copper scales would be too heavy for me to carry under most circumstances unless it was a small knife. I do like the idea of somehow incorporating an Indian head penny into the design of any version of the Native family if there is a copper scale release or CF copper weave.
Last edited by jdw on Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I would love to see a line of Fluted Copper/15V Spyderco’s like the Ti ones of the past.

Linerless knives like the Native and Chief would be a good start.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:21 pm
Well, Glutofknives, at 3 pages, I'd like more information.

There are many ways to use copper, even veneers that can be mated to Carbon fiber that would be both light, attractive and unusual. Push the envelope. A 1 cent copper coin inlayed into a Carbon Fiber scale, USA made folder? What can WE do in copper, ("we" being you and me), that would be a fun project and create an unusual sprint?

sal
carbon-fiber-copper-nickel-platd.jpg
Sprint run the Caribbean plain edge leaf blade in s90v.

There is such a thing as copper plated carbon fiber. I'm not aware of anyone using it in knife scales. I'd love to see it alternate layered with conventional c.f. and with the grip pattern of the Caribbean it would be the perfect platform to show off the materials.

The Caribbean would keep the knife out of the queue for the Golden factory once it's expanded, and the Taichung factory produces incredible quality. The knife is really one of Spyderco's best designs of all time. I feel like it gets held back being a strictly Salt Series knife with "just" lc200n, high vis yellow in the scales, and coupled with a price tag over $200. It's a platform that deserves a high edge retention sprint that makes people lust for it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RLR wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:01 pm
IMG_1428.jpegIMG_1429.jpegResurrected threads can be great. Lil Native small enough to handle copper scales (Flytanium). One of my personal favourites.

Hmm... though it has a bit too little cutting edge for my liking (at least Chap length in that regard would be good) this looks really nice...

Should imo definitely go along the Lil Native lightweight lines though: Backlock (even more so on such a small handle with slick scales) instead of comp.lock and the thinner (2.5 mm) stock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Danke

Post by Danke »

Folks know there's copper in this right?

TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Danke wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:33 am

That's what I first thought of also. The Raffir Noble has the brass and copper mesh in it. However, if you look at the (top) open image, the handle has a lot of dark in it and, perhaps, not enough 'copper' color showing through. I like the variation in it, but wonder if there would be a way to have this, but with a greater percentage of copper color in it. It may also be interesting to make a mesh weave combining strips of copper mesh with strips of carbon fiber. The contrast may be cool looking.
Danke

Post by Danke »

TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:52 am
Danke wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:33 am

That's what I first thought of also. The Raffir Noble has the brass and copper mesh in it. However, if you look at the (top) open image, the handle has a lot of dark in it and, perhaps, not enough 'copper' color showing through. I like the variation in it, but wonder if there would be a way to have this, but with a greater percentage of copper color in it. It may also be interesting to make a mesh weave combining strips of copper mesh with strips of carbon fiber. The contrast may be cool looking.
The Raffir Noble scales are all different and random so it's tough to predict what you'll get.

I like the bare copper since it will change a lot with use. These are all the same Blade HQ PM2. Current rolling back to when it first started changing.