Delica XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
electro-static

Delica XL

Post by electro-static »

I bought my first delica recently and have been loving how well it cuts with it’s thin blade stock, much better than it’s big brothers.

My idea is simple, a knife with the blade stock thickness of the delica and the length of an endura or endela. It would be a slicy beast for sure.

What does everyone think?
Wartstein

Re: Delica XL

Post by Wartstein »

Great proposal!

Said it before: I would have loved to see the Endela get its blade stock transferred from the Delica, and not from the Endura (so an Endela with 2.5 instead of 3 mm) - pretty much what you propose

2.5 in an Endura would be even better!!

/ Though I personally find the knife I always advocate for even more appealing:

A Chap XL... (2 mm bladestock, roughly Endela size and the amazing Chap backlock) - see here ;) viewtopic.php?t=85342
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last I heard, the High Performance Delica is still in the works. Maybe if that's successful they'll give the Endura the same treatment.
•• Beau
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I like the thicker spine on my Endura, with the flat grind and what is probably around 14 dps edge on it I find it plenty slicey, and yet comfortingly sturdy at the same time. If they made a thinner version, I think I would still prefer the thicker spine.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:49 am
I like the thicker spine on my Endura, with the flat grind and what is probably around 14 dps edge on it I find it plenty slicey, and yet comfortingly sturdy at the same time. If they made a thinner version, I think I would still prefer the thicker spine.
The Endura is my favorite all around knife for that reason, it does everything pretty well it has a great combo or sturdiness and cutting ability in an ergonomic lightweight package.

That’s the reason why I’m proposing a this idea as a longer delica instead of a thinner endura. It wouldn’t be as versatile as the endura but it would be lighter and cut better.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

But are you calling for a different design than the endura ?Or just a thinner bladed endura ?
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:04 pm
But are you calling for a different design than the endura ?Or just a thinner bladed endura ?
A thinner blade would make it a different design. I’m for whatever makes the tooling easier.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

electro-static wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:11 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:04 pm
A thinner blade would make it a different design. I’m for whatever makes the tooling easier.
Makes more sense to call it a thinner endura. If The design platform and outlines of the endura are the same it’s an endura.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

not really what you're asking for, but consider the ikuchi. it's a great knife that is thin and has more blade length than the delica.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TCX3

Post by TCX3 »

Try a Stretch XL. It is endura size and thinner.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

A 2mm stock endura with a distal taper would come out to an invisible tip, and at MAX .010” BTE. Maybe thinner. It would probably cut better than most kitchen knives, and while it would be awesome, it doesn’t make sense to produce it on a mass scale. To many broken blades. It’s not a “pocket knife for the masses” type thing. At least, I think. We here in spydie-ville would love it but we don’t make up but a tiny fraction of the enduras sold.

I would suggest buying an endura, and having it reground to your specs. I’ve done with a few blades.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:36 pm
not really what you're asking for, but consider the ikuchi. it's a great knife that is thin and has more blade length than the delica.

... or the Centofante: About Endela size and 2 mm blade stock (not ffg though, but sabre-hollow grind).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:21 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:36 pm

... or the Centofante: About Endela size and 2 mm blade stock (not ffg though, but sabre-hollow grind).
I’m definitely buying a catcherman when they are released (it looks super thin). I just used my delica to make dinner for my wife and myself (sausage, carrot, cilantro and chickpea soup, with a side of zucchini) It was a really nice experience, I really enjoy the delica’s geometry for kitchen tasks it didn’t really feel like I was using a pocket knife over a similarly sized kitchen knife.

I guess I would like that experience with a longer blade. Would make for a nice all-rounder, especally in a tough steel like Cru-Wear, M4, or K390. It could have been the coating on the blade but I really liked how no food stuck to the knife blade it was a great balance between slicey and wedge-like enough to not let the food stick to it after cutting.

i’ll keep an eye out for the Ikuchi next time one comes on sale, but I really think a longer knife in the seki lineup with the delica’s stock thickness would really good. I may just get an old endura of mine reground to try it out.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Delica XL = Endela. Done.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:10 pm
Delica XL = Endela. Done.

Tbh: Not for me, Doc:

The Endela is kind of 90 % Endura, but just 10 % Delica... blade stock, blade height, handle width and height, all pretty much "endura- ish".
(What - a bit sadly - is "delica-ish" though: The not handle filling blade, thus a not so good blade to handle ratio).
Matus

Post by Matus »

Centofante 3 was mentioned and as someone having one - I definitely recommend to have a closer look at it.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:40 am
Last I heard, the High Performance Delica is still in the works. Maybe if that's successful they'll give the Endura the same treatment.
I'm with Buddafucco here. Let's give time to the High Performance Delica to release before asking for more :grin-big eyes . The model will talk for itself
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:40 am
Fingers crossed for both.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal