A Gayle Bradley 2 in Cruwear!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WilliamMunny

Re: A Gayle Bradley 2 in Cruwear!

Post by WilliamMunny »

Anyone on the fence on this one here is my brand new M4 taking down a tree today. Well maybe a beaver did it but we were there in spirit.
IMG_5300.jpeg
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:40 pm
Anyone on the fence on this one here is my brand new M4 taking down a tree today. Well maybe a beaver did it but we were there in spirit.
:rofl
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kobold

Post by kobold »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:50 am
The GB2 is really a fantastic Spyderco, one of the most undersung for sure. I know it’s not under appreciated, since folks that try one typically are blown away by it, so hopefully a lot more people will be able to experience that with this exclusive. I can think of at least two custom scale makers that offer GB2 scales if anyone’s interested: RC Bladeworks and Sharp Dressed Knives. I’ve picked up scales for other models from both over the years and all have been fantastic quality, fit and finish. Cheers, Radioactive
Agree on all the points, just want to add a third scale maker for those in the EU, the Custom Scale Division in Germany.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Nice, if I fail too many times trying to make mine I may have to order some scales.
Last edited by WilliamMunny on Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:47 am
To illustrate possible scales replacements, micarta is a great option :open-grin

Even if William and I won't be satisfied by it no more :')

Robin, is that RC Bladeworks or Sharp Dressed Knives or did you make those? Somebody did a very nice job.
- Richard
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I've been holding off on trying the GB2 for years, though it's status is held in high esteem here on this forum. This is the perfect reason to finally get one (and spend more money on knives). I am bothered by the laminate cf, regular g10 will be just fine for me.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

riclaw wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:55 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:47 am
To illustrate possible scales replacements, micarta is a great option :open-grin

Even if William and I won't be satisfied by it no more :')

Robin, is that RC Bladeworks or Sharp Dressed Knives or did you make those? Somebody did a very nice job.
I did make them yes, thanks Richard ! Next is wood, I also have some fat carbon but I do not know how good it would look 😅
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

They should have done GB1 with M4, DLC and Jade scales! Come on BHQ.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:19 am
I did make them yes, thanks Richard ! Next is wood, I also have some fat carbon but I do not know how good it would look 😅
What did you use to drill the screw holes? Some type of stepped bit? What size?

For Mules I use a stepped bit for the corby screws to give them a flat shoulder to grab onto.

I was also thinking of backing the wood scales with thin black G10. By the time you countersink the screws there is not much more than 1/16” of material left to hold the scales on.

Trial and error I guess.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:34 am
Ramonade wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:19 am
What did you use to drill the screw holes? Some type of stepped bit? What size?

For Mules I use a stepped bit for the corby screws to give them a flat shoulder to grab onto.

I was also thinking of backing the wood scales with thin black G10. By the time you countersink the screws there is not much more than 1/16” of material left to hold the scales on.

Trial and error I guess.
I go at it viking style. I start with a wood bit to create the pocket, then metal bit to make the screw hole. When the diameter allows it, I finish flattening and deep-ening (lol) the pocket with an end-mill bit. Since it don't own a mill, trying to make the pocket with the end-mill directly tends to make a hole bigger than the end-mill diameter. Guess the mill has dozens of times more lateral strength than even a good drill press !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:49 am
I go at it viking style. I start with a wood bit to create the pocket, then metal bit to make the screw hole. When the diameter allows it, I finish flattening and deep-ening (lol) the pocket with an end-mill bit. Since it don't own a mill, trying to make the pocket with the end-mill directly tends to make a hole bigger than the end-mill diameter. Guess the mill has dozens of times more lateral strength than even a good drill press !
This is the step bit I use, but I will need one for these smaller screws.
IMG_5304.jpeg
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I carried my GB2 last week. No issues with any aspect of the knife, including the CF/G10 laminate scales. I have several knives with those scales and I've never had an issue. They're durable and have just the right amount of texture without being pocket shredders. I guess the only issue I do have with the scales is I have several other knives with them.

I like the idea of a GB2 exclusive but not sure this is a must buy. I guess I'll see how I feel when they drop. I wouldn't mind a Cruwear GB2 with Micarta

The scale making info would make a great thread on it's own
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Really really like the GB1 and 2, I don't have an issue with the spyderco gf laminate...
However, even though I love M4 for the durability, sharpening etc... there is something with my body chemistry and the way I use and carry my knives, that creates rust spots within a day of pocket carry on M4 steel. Never had that issue with K390 or cruwear, so I am really looking forward to this. It might actually be worth importing from the states.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I wonder: do any of the custom scales eliminate the proud liners? In other words, extend all the way to the edge of the liners?

Also wonder if anyone is doing contoured scales for this knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:25 am
This is the step bit I use, but I will need one for these smaller screws.
IMG_5304.jpeg
I found interesting bits like this for knifemaking, but I always find them in the USA. 45 shipping plus import taxes is kinda hard. I will make a bulk order one day XD Trouble is you guys have a unit of measure that is useful only with USA made stuff. The knives from the rest of the world will require other stuff, that's why I haven't jumped in yet :grin-sweat

About the wood scales, I had some funny stuff in my stock and I tried something. It's not finished yet, need the outer perimeter to be reduced now and then chamfering work and polishing.

WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Looks great, I am going to give it a try this winter when I have time. Love everything about the GB2, just not the look of the scales so much.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Think there's any chance they'd resurrect the Bradley 1 folder for a sprint? Maybe crucarta that one?

I'd definitely be in for a couple of those..

Is the tooling still available for those?

Edit: spelling
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Meadowlark wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:02 pm
Think there's any chance they'd resurrect the Bradley 1 folder for a sprint? Maybe crucarta that one?

They've had exclusives and sprints of many models long after they were discontinued. I'd love to see this. Even if the GB2 is more popular than the GB1, it's been so long since GB1 ceased production that the demand could be there.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

The GB1 looks so much better IMO. Not holding my breath for that. Interested in this exclusive though. I’d think about some wood scales as well.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Meadowlark wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:02 pm

I would LOVE that. When I started asking for a Goddard LW run and it happened 2 months after, I was in paradise. No relation, I just asked for something that was asked by St Nick's years ago, most certainly :squinting-tongue .

I'd love any sprint of the GB1. After a couple years I finally found one and I got a specimen with a very good BTE thickness, really like it ! The GB2 has a better edge to handle ratio though.