What Spyderco if you were in the Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: What Spyderco if you were in the Military?

Post by TomAiello »

I'd want a serrated, salt fixed blade. Probably the Jumpmaster 2.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Though I've never even handled one I'd probably take a zoomer.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:54 pm
I’d probably carry something like what I carried during 1968-1969 (as here, while an Artillery FO with the ARVN 36th Ranger Battalion).

Just like one below, it’s a Camillus fixed-blade (which quickly replaced the ridiculously-limited Gerber Mark II I had naively bought in a stateside PX).

I beat the **** out of mine, stabbing (C-rats, not people), prying, digging, and sawing, as well as slashing (light vegetation, not people) and cutting. And it kept coming back for more.

I would not carry a Spydie folder into combat as my only knife. Too delicate and finicky for combat’s brutish demands.

Based on my experience with an Enuff Salt, I would consider carrying an Enuff2 drop-point, provided the blade’s thickness is carried almost to its point, provided the blade is SE if H2 or PE if MagnaCut, and provided the handle and blade are a dull black.
Thank you for serving in Vietnam.

:party-face
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:54 pm
I’d probably carry something like what I carried during 1968-1969 (as here, while an Artillery FO with the ARVN 36th Ranger Battalion).
Great pic!
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

This is an interesting question. I often like to take knifes to the field to test them. But, I also carry one when not in the field so I guess in a way this is another form of testing. For working out of the field, I have really enjoyed my S30V Shaman. It's nice and robust, and I'm not scared to use it hard. For in the field, I really enjoyed my Native 5 Salt Magnacut SE. This knife with the FRN handle has a super nice grip on the pocket, nice yellow handle Incase I drop it, corrosion resistant for if it rains, but most importantly the SE makes it last alot longer when it's not possible to sharpen, as well as gives me a super aggressive cut for things like strap and nylon. This is just what works for me at the moment as a tanker. I'm also still testing knives. So can't speak for every situation. And I've never been in combat either. So that's another perspective I can't speak on.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Carried a Delica for a good bit of my time as an Army Medic, probably still would.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Warrior?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:53 am
In honor those of us who served in the military, I thought I'd make this thread. If you were in the military still, or are in the military, which Spyderco would you want to carry and why?

I think I'd want an Enuff Salt and an Endura, or perhaps a Moran and an Endura. The Enuff Salt and Moran are light weight and the military already loads a ton of stuff on their people. Building shelters, cutting roots, opening metal cans, and etc. are normal fare. The Endura is a good sized folder that carries small in the pocket. It could get put to the same abuse, but it is easy to carry.

The Province was that type of knife.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I carried a Buck Skinner 103 and/or a 110 Folding Hunter. In one Group many carried Buck 119 or 120s. I liked the size of the 103 and the 110 for my uses and that is why I said I would take an Endura with a Moran or an Enuff.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:26 pm
I'd want a serrated, salt fixed blade. Probably the Jumpmaster 2.
Smart. I forgot about this one. I keep one in my bugout bag. It’s a beast. Those serrations are scary.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
jacala

Post by jacala »

What Sal said.
DKRS1978

Post by DKRS1978 »

Lots of difference in branches and various trades within the military.
I've been in for over 26 years from Afghanistan to offshore search and rescue as a helicopter pilot and I carry a Paramilitary 2 DLC S45vn in a daily basis. Well rounded in all aspects.
Different trades will carry different blades, but for me this is a perfect choice.