The ultimate Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

The ultimate Delica

Post by elena86 »

Until a few days ago I owned almost all Delica variants Spyderco ever released. Almost. Me being me(a spyderedge fanatic) I allways wondered why on earth they never released a plain jane ffg VG10 Delica in spyderedge. My VG10 serrated wharnie Delica is one of my all time fav carry but sometimes I miss a slight belly complemented by the sheer cutting power given by the spyderedge pattern . Than I realized that in fact they did release one. The serrated K390 Delica. How could I have missed that one ?! I rushed on my computer and two days ago I receieved the item. I opened the well known red/black package without huge expectations but 10 minutes minutes later I realized that I have the ultimate Delica in my hands. The bloody thing cuts and performs like a champ and believe it or not, it is ground thinner than the VG10 Delica…. I allready noticed that on my plain edge K390 Delica. Great job Spyderco but… what on earth possesed you to discontinue this awesomeness ???!!!. Ah, I now … numbers. The bloody selling numbers. Well, it’s time for me to purchase a few more.
Last edited by elena86 on Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Re: The ultimate Delica

Post by Wartstein »

It's the exact same with me and the "Delica XXL" - the Endura.

Don't know how many times I've said already that the perfect EDC knife for me would be just a plain jane ffg regular blade shape SE Endura in VG10... just like the Endela SE, only larger.

Now I am aware that like you with the Delica I could have that, except the steel would be K39ü. To be honest I am still a bit unsure about sharpening serrated K390... I'd use the corners of my CBN sharpmaker rods for that and figure they'd wear out extremely fast with such a hard steel - ?

/ Where did you get that Delica?...In the US serrated K390 can be found right now for really little money, but like you I am in Europe...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:30 am
It's the exact same with me and the "Delica XXL" - the Endura.

Don't know how many times I've said already that the perfect EDC knife for me would be just a plain jane ffg regular blade shape SE Endura in VG10... just like the Endela SE, only larger.

Now I am aware that like you with the Delica I could have that, except the steel would be K39ü. To be honest I am still a bit unsure about sharpening serrated K390... I'd use the corners of my CBN sharpmaker rods for that and figure they'd wear out extremely fast with such a hard steel - ?

/ Where did you get that Delica?...In the US serrated K390 can be found right now for really little money, but like you I am in Europe...
I remember Sal said once that the K390 serrations respond well to white SM rods but… I might be wrong. He must have had touch-ups in mind I guess. You don’t need to (re)sharpen the scallops using high abrasive rods for awhile I suppose , given the K390 steel has such high wear resistance. Time will tell but I urge those who have some experience with K390 serrations to share some thoughts. My next purchase is going to be the LW K390 Police in spyderedge. That would be the ultimate tactical folder for me. That being said, since you like the Endura so much, I encourage you to purchase one sooner rather than too late and don’t look back. You will regret later, trust me.

P.S. Just curious ; I thought you like the serrated XL Stretch in VG10 so why would you need an Endura ? The XL Stretch is the better knife IMO. Linerless, lighter and with a “crisp” tip.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:30 am
I remember Sal said once that the K390 serrations respond well to white SM rods but… I might be wrong. He must have had touch-ups in mind I guess. You don’t need to (re)sharpen the scallops using high abrasive rods for awhile I suppose , given the K390 steel has such high wear resistance. Time will tell but I urge those who have some experience with K390 serrations to share some thoughts. My next purchase is going to be the LW K390 Police in spyderedge. That would be the ultimate tactical folder for me. That being said, since you like the Endura so much, I encourage you to purchase one sooner rather than too late and don’t look back. You will regret later, trust me.

P.S. Just curious ; I thought you like the serrated XL Stretch in VG10 so why would you need an Endura ? The XL Stretch is the better knife IMO. Linerless, lighter and with a “crisp” tip.

Thanks, Marius!
And: Could easily be that your encouragement is what I needed to finally pull the trigger on a K390 Endura SE - especially since they´ll be gone soon from the stores I guess

/ Regarding Endura vs Stretch XL:

I find out more and more that I just am and will always be an Endura guy - no Spydie coming in that favorite size of mine and I try and that challenges the Endura can beat it in the end (Siren, Pac Salt, Stretch XL, Chief, not even the Goddard...)
I am planning to do a thread about this anyway.

The Stretch XL SE is a great knife, and I actually carry it more often than the Endura and would so even if I had only one Endura and one Stretch XL.

The Endura though to me is the better "if I could only have one" choice:
- Despite I really like light weight, especially in my pack, I prefer the a bit "heftier" feel and balance of the Endura in hand
- That the Endura has a LESS crisp, but bit more durable point is something I actually like. There are those situations when one has to work fast and doing "harder" work and can´t really take care of the tip
- The Endura ergos even beat the Stretches for me: I like it better behind the choil (more stable, especially the part below the index finger) and choking up on the Endura ricasso is also more stable and gives me more control than the Stretch XL choil (which is more comfortable in return, no doubt)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
benben

Post by benben »

A guy who works for our paint vendor came in last week with a new serrated K390 Endura, his very first Spyderco. He’s been asking me about my Spyderco’s for probably two years, and I’m always asking him….did you ever make your mind up? Well he did, and he came straight in looking for me.

We were out in our body shop parts room, he handed me his Endura and I cut one of the cardboard flaps off of a case of Toyota coolant, these are thick tough cardboard boxes! It was completely effortless, like cutting air. I handled him back his knife and he cut the other flap, which was really his first time using it, the look on his face said it was money well spent, actually made me laugh!

Guess who wants a serrated K390 Endura now? :eye-roll
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

benben wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:45 am
.....It was completely effortless, like cutting air. I handled him back his knife and he cut the other flap, which was really his first time using it, the look on his face said it was money well spent, actually made me laugh!

Yeah, that's the magic of a good serrated edge! :star-struck
Problem is: From now on all of your PE Spydies could loose a lot of appeal...
benben

Post by benben »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:07 am
benben wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:45 am
.....It was completely effortless, like cutting air. I handled him back his knife and he cut the other flap, which was really his first time using it, the look on his face said it was money well spent, actually made me laugh!

Yeah, that's the magic of a good serrated edge! :star-struck
Problem is: From now on all of your PE Spydies could loose a lot of appeal...
Oh I’ve got 7 or 8 serrated Spyderco’s, carry one almost everyday, just not one in K390, not for now anyway! 😉
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I also have wondered why a regular VG-10 Delica or Endura wasn’t offered in FFG SE. I love my SE Endela, carry it constantly. Confession: I just ordered a SE K390 Endura. First knife I’ve bought in 2023.
Matus

Post by Matus »

On one had I really WANT an SE in k390, on the other hand I am also a it weary about the sharpening. I have recently spent 3 hours of sharpening (in several sessions) of our MAC Superior bread knife (has a continuous wave style of serrations) as it was really dull after several years of use and it needed to have the edge angle dropped as it was way larger than 20 degrees. And that knife is not made of any high abrasion steel (something like AUS-8). So I have a lot of respect in that regard.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Matus wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:17 am
On one had I really WANT an SE in k390, on the other hand I am also a it weary about the sharpening. I have recently spent 3 hours of sharpening (in several sessions) of our MAC Superior bread knife (has a continuous wave style of serrations) as it was really dull after several years of use and it needed to have the edge angle dropped as it was way larger than 20 degrees. And that knife is not made of any high abrasion steel (something like AUS-8). So I have a lot of respect in that regard.
Yeah, reprofiling serrated edges is patient work. The performance gain is worth it for me. I’ve had the best experience using the CBN rods; they seem more durable than the diamond SharpMaker rods.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

This thread motivated me to do some profiling today. Checked to see when I bought it: June 7, 2020 :astonished Spent a few hours on the CBN rods, removed the original grind and now it’s a laser. I can finally use it! Pic isn’t the best but trust me, it will keel.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:18 pm
This thread motivated me to do some profiling today. Checked to see when I bought it: June 7, 2020 :astonished Spent a few hours on the CBN rods, removed the original grind and now it’s a laser. I can finally use it! Pic isn’t the best but trust me, it will keel.
Which setup ? 15 dps ?
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:52 pm
Hopsbreath wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:18 pm
Which setup ? 15 dps ?
Yep. Slow and steady but not without some cosmetics blemishes. Maybe I’ll get to the SE Endura sooner than 3+ years.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Yeah, some scratches are pretty much unavoidable. I did some thinning of the left bevel (a variety of diamond based abrasives) on my Ayoob and after than went first for 15 deg and after that 20 deg (so the edge is 20). Lot's of work indeed. I guess I need to post it eventually. The way the knife now cuts cardboard is unreal.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Please do post.
hobbyist

Post by hobbyist »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:18 am
Until a few days ago I owned almost all Delica variants Spyderco ever released. Almost. Me being me(a spyderedge fanatic) I allways wondered why on earth they never released a plain jane ffg VG10 Delica in spyderedge. My VG10 serrated wharnie Delica is one of my all time fav carry but sometimes I miss a slight belly complemented by the sheer cutting power given by the spyderedge pattern . Than I realized that in fact they did release one. The serrated K390 Delica. How could I have missed that one ?! I rushed on my computer and two days ago I receieved the item. I opened the well known red/black package without huge expectations but 10 minutes minutes later I realized that I have the ultimate Delica in my hands. The bloody thing cuts and performs like a champ and believe it or not, it is ground thinner than the VG10 Delica…. I allready noticed that on my plain edge K390 Delica. Great job Spyderco but… what on earth possesed you to discontinue this awesomeness ???!!!. Ah, I now … numbers. The bloody selling numbers. Well, it’s time for me to purchase a few more.
Does the serrated lc200n salt 2 meet your requirements?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

hobbyist wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:12 pm
elena86 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:18 am
Does the serrated lc200n salt 2 meet your requirements?
It might but… lc200n is not strong enough. It’s very tough but not hard enough. A Magnacut Salt2 might be the best bet.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

olywa

Post by olywa »

I've now refined my SE Salt N5 in Magnacut to 15 degrees with the Sharpmaker CBN rods, and also done the same to my K390 Delica SE and K390 Endurance SE. The N5 in Magnacut required the most work. I think the Seki models required a lot less steel removal.

In all cases I also progressed through the brown and white rods. The end results were worth the effort as they all cut like lasers and have shown outstanding edge retention.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

So, CBN, then brown then white, all at 15 degrees for several hours?
I'd probably do it over a few days, if I had CBN or a 15 degree setting. Everyone seems to think the results are worth it.
I do have to say though, these are excellent cutters as they are.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Yup that was the formula for me. The only one that felt like work was the Native Salt. One of my favorite carries now though.