Annual Spyderco Product Guide (Catalog)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want the Printed 2024 Spyderco Product Guide mailed to you?

Yes
66%
No (I’m happy with the Digital copy)
23%
Don’t care
11%

Total votes: 64

RamZar

Annual Spyderco Product Guide (Catalog)

Post by RamZar »

Spyderco discontinued the printed Reveals (starting with Reveal 14) which were mailed to subscribers of the Annual Spyderco Product Guide (Catalog). Do you still want a printed Annual Product Guide (Catalog) mailed to you?

From Spyderco byte October 2023:

Reveal 14 is also significant in that it represents our first all-digital Reveal. As consumer behavior and trade show dynamics change, we have been carefully monitoring our customers’ appetite for printed marketing materials. After careful analysis, the trend is clear: most consumers prefer the convenience of a digital format over traditional printed media. As such, we have decided not to print or distribute any hardcopies of Reveal 14. For traditionalists who enjoy paper copies, we ensured that Reveal 14’s digital format is printer friendly, so you can easily print your own if you choose.

As loyal Spyderco fans know, C.Q.I.—Constant Quality Improvement—is one of the hallmarks of our business philosophy. In addition to relentlessly enhancing the quality of our products, C.Q.I. also means adapting to changing consumer preferences and business trends.
Last edited by RamZar on Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ChrisinHove

Re: Annual Spyderco Product Guide (Catalog)

Post by ChrisinHove »

Without access to a store, the 1:1 photographs are essential.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can't remember the last time I flipped through a printed version.

They make cool mementos to hang on to, but going digital probably saves Spyderco a fair amount of expense and is more convenient for most consumers.

I do agree the 1:1 scale photos are nice, but I can get a good enough idea of the size by reading specs and viewing comparison photos.
:unicorn
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m a huge fan of the printed Annual Product Guides and would love to see them continue to print them. Definitely disappointing to hear that the physical reveals will no longer be printed and distributed. It’s not clear if they will continue to print and distribute the Annual Product Guides or not but I hope they do.

I do understand how transitioning to a digital only Product Guide can greatly save on expenses though. To be honest, I’d pay for a “Collector Packet” of reveals. So basically just a printed copy of each reveal. Maybe even an Annual Product Guide and some stickers to make it more worth it but I value the printed catalogs enough that Id pay for them.
-Nick :bug-red
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

No, i strongly dislike digital catalogs. I love the smell and feel of the Spyderco catalogs. The fact that the knives are 1/1 so you can have a feeling of their dimension.
I am saddened they discontinued the catalogs. Saying that most customers prefer it is b.s. imho.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would gladly pay for a catalog . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Having some colour printing done for the Mrs side gig (dancing teacher)

Man is printing something in full colour expensive nowadays

Have always said on watch forums (and would apply this to everything I have and would buy)
“ if a plain box or even a brown paper bag makes it cheaper, I’m in”
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I voted yes because, like others, I occasionally want to see full-scale representations of the knives. It's by no means a hard yes, though. I could get by fine without it.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I like the catalogs. If they have become too expensive for Spyderco, that's a shame. I would buy one instead though. The digital versions hold very minimal interest for me.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I love the printed catalogs, always excited to get them.

On the flip side I could see how it is expensive for Spyderco.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I can see getting rid of the paper Reveal catalogs. I just hope Spyderco continues to offer printed Annual Product Guides.

I would be fine paying for a printed catalog or getting a copy with a purchase from the Spyderco Factory Outlet.
- Richard
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I've gotten alot of enjoyment from the spyderco catalog over the years and its been so handy for size reference.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

This is not a nice comment, and I've never made such a comment here. If the catalogs are too expensive, so be it, tell us. Don't tell us that you stopped printing them because we don't want them anymore, and want digital. We don't believe that, and know better.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

+1 on Yes, I love the feel of printed catalog and I do appreciate 1:1 photos of knives. My job is in the office, working in front of the screen, my phone is used a lot... after long day in front of screen I really appreciate a good book or browsing through printed Spyderco catalogs (older ones are nice nostalgia) rather than again being in front of the screen...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:28 am
This is not a nice comment, and I've never made such a comment here. If the catalogs are too expensive, so be it, tell us. Don't tell us that you stopped printing them because we don't want them anymore, and want digital. We don't believe that, and know better.
I agree and had similar thoughts. It does feel a bit disingenuous to call it “CQI.” We know it’s a cost cutting measure.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I didn’t vote for want of the right choice.

I love the works of art these catalogs are. For me, it’s nice to handle them and to grasp the scale of things, whether models or the company’s seriousness.

But hard-copy catalogs do require more time and money to produce. And they do require disposal sooner or later.

Besides, by now, I’m pretty much calibrated. My collection is varied enough for me to interpolate how a new model will work for me.

Digital is now fine by me, though I do think Spyderco needs to make sure there is a way to achieve a print-out at 1:1 scale.

But if hard-copy disappears, the winning of new customers may be harder. My first catalog blew my socks off; a digital one would not have done that.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

PLEASE don't send me a printed copy. My bookshelves are overflowing and I already get enough junk mail that I have to carry out to the trash. The digital copy looks GREAT on my high-zoot computer displays, and I have a line gauge in my desk that I can use to figure out the size of a knife. With that said, I appreciate the effort that Spyderco devotes to creating a pretty catalog. The pretty pictures and aesthetically pleasing design surely help influence my purchases.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Digital is perfectly fine, save the trees/paper for more essential stuff. However I'd love if the digital reveals still had 1:1 scale pics when printed on a standard format if anyone wanted to do some quick physical comparisons
chrisclarkux

Post by chrisclarkux »

Everyone repeats the "fact" that all pictures are life-size.

Try that with a Lil' Lum
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

chrisclarkux wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:08 am
Everyone repeats the "fact" that all pictures are life-size.

Try that with a Lil' Lum
Good catch! :grin-squint