Chief with compression lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Chief with compression lock?

Post by Fireman »

I love the Millie so I never got a Native Chief. The Chief carries so well that if it had a compression lock, I would get a few. What day you?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Chief with compression lock?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I feel like the handle is too narrow in height to work well with a compression lock. Back lock is perfect for that knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I like the looks and feel of the lockback on the Native Series. Just makes good clean lines. Also makes for great ergos. I think the only thing I would change in regards to the lock is adding a boye dent. You can squeeze it tight and feel the blade wiggle. Outside of that, it is such a solid lock up and maybe the easiest lockback to operate in my opinion. I would hate to see that go.

I also do understand the larger market may have a different opinion. I would never fault Spyderco for making a change that is better for their business. It is not like it is an ethical decision or something. I would not loose sleep if they ended up changing it, but it would not be in my preference. I think the compression lock is a fantastic lock. Have it in several models. I also think that Spyderco makes a fantastic lockback. Fantastic in that you can easily manipulate it one handed.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I prefer a lockback to the compression most of the time, love the natural self close attribute without the need of a detent ball lockbacks bring
:bug-red-white
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm happy with it as is. I'd most likely pass on a compression lock version.
:unicorn
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I like the back lock on the chief.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:14 pm
I feel like the handle is too narrow in height to work well with a compression lock. Back lock is perfect for that knife.
Kapara and IKuchi are extremely narrow compression locks. It most likely could be done.

I guess I like the diversity between the lock types of different series. Part of why I like seeing different sizes within a series, so a variety of people can try something that fits them size wize in that series.

I would hate to lose the Golden Mid lockback. I feel like we already lost the Golden Linerlock.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Here is a comparison photo of my Native Chief behind my PM2. It looks like the handle of the Chief is similar to that of the PM2 in this area. If that is the constraint, it should fit in that handle.
barnaclesonaboat

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

I feel the same as OP, even though I recognize these valid points about handle thickness perhaps not being wide enough for the comp lock, or the mid-backlock simply being too good to need improvement. But the comp lock is far and away my favorite, and important to me feels like the safest lock for keeping your fingers out of the guillotine. It is in fact the main reason I haven't sprung for a chief yet, as literally everything else about it feels perfect for me: the longer cutting edge, the long distal taper, the fine tip, the profile... Truth be told, I may fall for a new Magnacut LW Chief, but I find it hard to imagine I won't wish for the comp lock every day I carry it.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

I don't find there to be any guillotine issue with the Native Chief. The choil and nub touch my fingers first when closing in the same way as my Chaparral shown here.
In that way, I find the back lock functions just fine and I'm okay with it. But, like some, I may like it even more with a compression lock.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
The compression lock on the Lil Native functions well. The compression would work on a Native Chief without issue. It is an extremely versatile lock. I wouldn’t necessarily be in favor of a compression lock Native Chief though. I do tend to agree that the backlock is about as good as it gets on the Native Chief.

In my opinion, adding a compression lock Native Chief would start spreading the catalog too thin. It wouldn't end there either because the Native 5 will inevitably need a compression lock variant too. I already see frequent requests for that on social media. Theres no telling where it goes from there.

If their production capacity can handle the increased number of variations after the expansion is completed, it might not be such an issue but I just can’t help but to see it as counterproductive to add so many simple variations. It just produces an overwhelming number of options and it can be difficult to feel satisfied with your choice without feeling like another option would have been better.

It’s the “Too Many Options Paradox” and I believe we already saw this play out to some degree with their wharncliffe models. They just added way too many options and ultimately couldn’t support them all through sales. I’m probably overthinking it like usual but that’s what keeps me coming back… :bug-red :respect
Last edited by Mushroom on Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

Even though I like compression locks, I personally do NOT think the Chief would be better with a comp lock. The Chief's back lock (and properly-made back locks in general) is one of the best locks on the market.

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

barnaclesonaboat wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:42 pm
I feel the same as OP, even though I recognize these valid points about handle thickness perhaps not being wide enough for the comp lock, or the mid-backlock simply being too good to need improvement. But the comp lock is far and away my favorite, and important to me feels like the safest lock for keeping your fingers out of the guillotine. It is in fact the main reason I haven't sprung for a chief yet, as literally everything else about it feels perfect for me: the longer cutting edge, the long distal taper, the fine tip, the profile... Truth be told, I may fall for a new Magnacut LW Chief, but I find it hard to imagine I won't wish for the comp lock every day I carry it.
There's more than one way to skin a cat ;)

https://streamable.com/gfhxo

Chief works well with the last method due to no boye dent. Comp locks are easier to swing open and shut, but with a little practice it's possible with nearly all the lockbacks Spyderco sells.

Personally I use method #2 and have been doing it that way since I got into Spyderco. 20 years without cutting myself, so it feels safe to me.
:unicorn
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

The blade geometry couldn't be more different, but the Amalgam feels really similar to the Native Chief in hand and pocket.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I would LOVE a Compression Lock Native Chief! :smiling-heart-eyes But I feel like I remember Sal already shot this idea down. :disappointed
However, Spyderco never says never.
•• Beau
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:05 pm
I love the Millie so I never got a Native Chief. The Chief carries so well that if it had a compression lock, I would get a few. What day you?
I day "hard pass". Why ruin a great knife? They already killed the Military.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

One of the design features highlighted in Spyderco's ad copy for the Native Chief is the linerless construction. A compression lock requires some kind of liners; even the Para3 lightweight has minimal liners. Putting a compression lock in a Native Chief would eliminate one of the main design features of the knife.

That doesn't mean a longer/narrower spear-point knife with compression lock is a bad idea. Maybe a "flattened" version of the Shaman or Bodacious could fill that role.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

barnaclesonaboat wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:42 pm

As Vivi has pointed out already:

The backlock is perfectly safe for the fingers, in fact imo more so than a comp.lock.

- For one a backlock can be closed with that "fingers always out of the blade path method" just like a comp.lock (completely unnecessary though imo with both lock types)
- And with other methods of closing a backlock one handed (and there are quite some, see three of them in the vids at the end of my post) the feature that the blade normally remains relatively solid in the half closed position enhances "safety"

Now since a backlock is also safer in pocket (much stronger self closing bias) and makes for better ergos (no potentially "hotspotty" comp.lock cutout) and can be better operated with gloves... for me personally it is no question that I way prefer a backlock Chief over a potential comp.lock Chief (even more so since the Native backlocks are so extremely well executed

https://streamable.com/j7fjd

https://streamable.com/bhhzs

https://streamable.com/myzlt
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:33 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Kapara and IKuchi are extremely narrow compression locks. It most likely could be done.

Sure it could be done, actually a comp.lock knife can be made with a "less tall" handle than a backlock knife for the exact same blade height as far as I can see (since with a backlock blade and lockbar have to fit on top of each other into the handle when the knife is closed)

I think what Rick meant is that in a narrow handle a comp.lock does not "work" / feel well in operation.
That´s what I found with my Kapara - narrow handle, small cutout - not great in use..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

Chief is not 'my knife', but the Rex45 one I had was so incredibly well made - the lock was smooth and solid. It would be a shame to swap it for a compression lock. It is one of the best back locks I ever used and on par with my Cruwear Ayoob.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...