Does anyone here ride motorcycles?!?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
GonzoRider

Re: Does anyone here ride motorcycles?!?

Post by GonzoRider »

Striple765Rider wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:14 pm
GonzoRider wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:30 pm
Striple765Rider wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:48 pm
And me and my buddy Mike went on a 150 mile ride today because it decided to be beautiful and warm in central PA these few days. He’s got a mean ZX10 that is mainly his track bike but since the season is pretty much over he put it back to street duty. It’s got full suspension work, full exhaust and a tune and put 187hp to the rear tire!!! I call it the beast. 😂

I really dig your Triumph but I especially like your buddie's ZX-10R. I used to own the exact same one. It wasn't quite that modded out but more than fast enough for the street. It is indeed a beast! I finally moved onto the naked bikes after riding mostly sportbikes for 11 years prior. Currently aboard a KTM 1290 Super Duke R which is also known as the beast lol. I'll have to upload some pics. Hope you guys get some more decent weather before that miserable time of year. Looks like I'm screwed for a little while here in Colorado. Enjoy the racing this weekend everyone. Gotta love a dual MotoGP and WSBK weekend!
**** yeah the super duke is a freaking beast too!! Definitely top 2 or 3 fastest nakeds made today. I got to ride a brand new Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RS a couple months back at a Triumph demo day and oh my God!!!! A 180hp naked bike is soooo much fun!!! That thing just instantly lifted and carried the front wheel at pretty much any speed and any gear from 4th gear and down. I had the wheelie control on the medium setting so it would just kind of hold it about 6-8” of the ground and flicker the traction light. Man that thing was nice!!! $18,000 is a little steep for my budget though. I’ll just have to make due with my little baby Triple.
I've yet to actually ride a Triumph but I've always appreciated their looks and sound. Will have to try out a triple someday. I'm sure your Street Triple is still a blast without 180hp. Especially in the tighter stuff. Not gonna lie I was crap at wheelies until I got a super naked. Now it's basically about trying not to wheelie everywhere I go :purple-devil
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
Striple765Rider

Post by Striple765Rider »

Yeah to me, I’m a bit biased though 😂, not much sounds better than Triumph’s triple with a good exhaust. They just sound so raw and good. Mines definitely no slouch. I ride with a couple MT09’s and 600RR’s and my bike walks away from them pretty good. The 600’s will come by me at about 120-130 because of their crazy top end power and aerodynamics but anything under that I pull away pretty good. I’m not a wheelie rider like standing them up and riding a crazy wheelie. Mine are just power wheelies when it brings them up a bit in first and second gear or when I hit a little crest in the road it’ll lift the front tire and keep it about a foot or so off the ground for a bit. I’ll just ride those out until it sits back down. I’m more for ripping through the twisties and my bike is incredible for that! It’s very light (408 lbs wet weight with the lighter exhaust on it) and super flickable and has a great factory suspension (fully adjustable front and rear). It’s got amazing brakes too straight from the factory. It’s got nice Brembo M4 monoblock calipers up front and it came stock with steel braided lines and aggressive pads. My Yamaha FZ8 had HORRIBLE factory pads that felt like they were made of wood. And it has soft rubber lines too so the lever was soft without a lot of feedback.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
GonzoRider

Post by GonzoRider »

Striple765Rider wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:43 am
Yeah to me, I’m a bit biased though 😂, not much sounds better than Triumph’s triple with a good exhaust. They just sound so raw and good. Mines definitely no slouch. I ride with a couple MT09’s and 600RR’s and my bike walks away from them pretty good. The 600’s will come by me at about 120-130 because of their crazy top end power and aerodynamics but anything under that I pull away pretty good. I’m not a wheelie rider like standing them up and riding a crazy wheelie. Mine are just power wheelies when it brings them up a bit in first and second gear or when I hit a little crest in the road it’ll lift the front tire and keep it about a foot or so off the ground for a bit. I’ll just ride those out until it sits back down. I’m more for ripping through the twisties and my bike is incredible for that! It’s very light (408 lbs wet weight with the lighter exhaust on it) and super flickable and has a great factory suspension (fully adjustable front and rear). It’s got amazing brakes too straight from the factory. It’s got nice Brembo M4 monoblock calipers up front and it came stock with steel braided lines and aggressive pads. My Yamaha FZ8 had HORRIBLE factory pads that felt like they were made of wood. And it has soft rubber lines too so the lever was soft without a lot of feedback.
You're right not much sounds better than a Triumph's triple. Arguably only an Aprilia's V4. I know the feeling of getting passed on the top end as my friend rides the ZX10R I used to ride. I can hold him off until about 140-150 where aerodynamics really come into play. Under 100 he gets destroyed pretty badly... Those tall geared inline 4's don't stand a chance down low. Even though I can wheelie I'm certainly no pro. I can wheelie just well enough to feel it's acceptable to say I can wheelie. Clutch ups that I carry for a little ways but no mile long stand ups. European bikes are mostly ready to rock from the factory. Good suspension is a wonderful thing. Brembos are tasty and stainless steel lines are a must. Always hated having to swap out lines on my Japanese bikes. Bleeding brakes is fun. Especially when you have a pesky air bubble somewhere!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

After 5 years and more than 50,000 miles
I replaced the hydraulic lines on my Vmax
with over braided stainless steel.
The improvement was remarkable.

And though I never owned one,
as far as exhaust notes go,
the snarl of desmodromic valves on a Ducati
makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
GonzoRider

Post by GonzoRider »

Mad Mac wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:58 pm
After 5 years and more than 50,000 miles
I replaced the hydraulic lines on my Vmax
with over braided stainless steel.
The improvement was remarkable.

And though I never owned one,
as far as exhaust notes go,
the snarl of desmodromic valves on a Ducati
makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
Once you've experienced the crisp feel of stainless lines it's hard to go back. It's also important to make sure your Vmax stops as well as it goes. No slouch. Not a Ducati fan myself but I can't deny that vid got me excited...
Striple765Rider

Actually the Panigale’s and a lot of the newer Ducatis don’t use desmodromic valve actuation anymore. They switched over to valve springs like the rest of the world. But yes, ANY V4 sounds ultra badass! Ape’s, Duc’s, Honda’s MotoGP engines and everything else V4 is just the best sound out there!
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Aaarrrgh! I need to get out more.
This one is more like it.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

New rider here, I ride a '13 KLX250 for the road and a bit of adventure riding down the gravel roads. Been loving it
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Recent trip, near the southern most tip of the Aus mainland on the horison (Wilsons Promontory, Victoria).

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Striple765Rider wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:57 am
Actually the Panigale’s and a lot of the newer Ducatis don’t use desmodromic valve actuation anymore. They switched over to valve springs like the rest of the world. But yes, ANY V4 sounds ultra badass! Ape’s, Duc’s, Honda’s MotoGP engines and everything else V4 is just the best sound out there!
..With the Yamaha crossplane 4 a solid second :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Striple765Rider

Definitely!! Especially at lower revs where it sounds like a badass V8.

-Dave
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

When I was riding
most of you were merely the gleam in your daddy's eye.

The 1985 Yamaha V-Max sported the largest rear tire
of any production motorcycle ever made
and set a record for production motorcycles in the 1/4 mile.

But it also marked the end of the era
for naked, iron framed, carbureted motorcycles.
Streamlined superbikes soon began surpassing it.

The V-max, however, provided a platform for modifying
and customizing that kept it popular for 20 years.
It's V4 could indeed be made to sound like a V8 stock car.

R100

Post by R100 »

The old BM on a recent 3 week trip out in the bush. Long enough to start thinking about life and resolve to work less and ride more! This local government area - Diamantina shire - is 94,722 km2 and has a population of 270 people. Perfect.

Dan
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

You’ve got to love those old airheads.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Springtime down under.
Looks like you got some rain.
Everything looks perked up.
R100

Post by R100 »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:51 am
Springtime down under.
Looks like you got some rain.
Everything looks perked up.
We have had 3 years of great seasons and the whole landscape looks amazing. All the wild life and vegetation is absolutely booming. This is part of my patch for work and my wife was super keen to come out and have a look after my field season ended. It was great to be able to lounge around out there and really enjoy it rather than being flat out from daylight to dark.

Relaxing in the heat of the day.

My office during the field season.

I met up with my sister and her friend Eve in Bourke. Their bikes made mine look ancient but they didn't work any better in the sand and other gnarly conditions.
Apparently they have all this new-fangled stuff like overhead camshafts. :thinking

Dan
Striple765Rider

**** that looks like so much fun and soooo peaceful!! Y’all got some gorgeous country over there. Even being a country boy myself I’d still be scared to death over there though out in the bush. You guys have so much crazy deadly stuff over there.

-Dave
Striple765Rider

Went out with a buddy for probably the last ride of the year. I doubt we’ll have any more riding days. Even today it was pretty chilly and the sun left a half hour into the ride which sucked. We did about 160 miles. This stop was at the scenic overlook by Laporte, PA.

A cool panoramic picture.

My beautiful new (to me) Knifejoy Spydiechef!

-Dave