Broken blade advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JAfromMN

Broken blade advice

Post by JAfromMN »

I was out doing some magnet fishing while we still got open water and in haste I snapped the blade off my police at the thumb hole.

It was a cold morning and it may have been my fault for using to much strength cutting through some heavy nylon rope

I'm totally unsure if I should try for warranty or not. I did mod the handel and fill in the clip holes.. also I tried and tried and could not find the blade. It took off with a tink sound

What do u all think I should do?
i should have never brought it with me but its my only stainless knife and I figured I'd find it easy with the magnet 🧲

Bummer.
Attachments
received_1358571554758413.jpeg
received_6519928571463628.jpeg
received_635906938755067.jpeg
Wartstein

Re: Broken blade advice

Post by Wartstein »

:astonished

A sabre grind blade... while just cutting through nylon rope ...and broke not even in the tip area but at the opening hole?!?
Does not sound normal at all and of course normally you SHOULD and CAN bring a Police for cutting heavy nylon.

I´d contact customer service, don´t know though if they´ll warrant the knife unless they´d find something to be seriously wrong with the steel in that particular piece.
After all (and I am not implying anyhing towards you personally (!) just generally) they have no way to see if people actually did something crazy to a broken blade (heavy prying, dropping the knife from a significant height...) and afterwards just say that this happened while just cutting.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I don't really care much if it's replaced or not. I was just wondering if it would be worth even trying.
I've had/ been using that police for 5 + years so I got more than my money out of it.

Weird. Sucks but hey crap happens 🙃.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JAfromMN wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:30 am
I don't really care much if it's replaced or not. I was just wondering if it would be worth even trying.
I've had/ been using that police for 5 + years so I got more than my money out of it.

Weird. Sucks but hey crap happens 🙃.

Still almost unbelievable to me (which does not mean that I don´t believe you ;) )... only time I saw something like this (on the internet) was on a Maxamet Manix blade, but that knife got dropped on a hard surface as far as I can recall.

A sabre grind VG10 blade breaking while just cutting nylon rope is really weird... unless perhaps it was really brutally cold - ? (I don´t know though by how much very cold temperatures can make steel more brittle resp. HOW cold it really would have to be to make that happen)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Yeah I don't get it. It was cold but above freezing so that shouldn't matter. Maybe just sideways force did it somehow. Or maybe it was cracked and just waiting to happen and I didn't see it.

I didn't want to say anything but I got health issues and I shake maybe harder than I thought or want to admit.

I wish I had a video :)

I'm going to fish for that blade soon. That video would help ;)

I miss my police im bummed😞😕😔

Ok not too too bummed I replaced it with a civilian im ok :)
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

A slightly different thing, but I had a large Sebenza which came to me with a hairline crack from the thumb stud to the spine. Scared of the blade breaking, I sent it back to CRK and they sent me a new blade, but also returned the old blade saying that they'd tested it and were confident the hairline crack wouldn't lead to the blade breaking.

That would have been S30V steel. I carried that knife (with the old blade back in) for a few months and it gave me no bother.

If they had the knife back, I'm sure Spyderco could test the steel to see if anything was wrong there, or maybe see if it came from a twist or knock?

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would send it in . Filling holes had nothing to do with this failure. You can always call first and explain the situation. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I would send it in as well. That must have felt weird when it happened.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:35 am
I would send it in as well. That must have felt weird when it happened.

Surprised me. I've been a pretty loyal spyderco user for 20 years or so and I never had anything like this happen.
So weird
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Spyderco cannot replace blades--especially on knives with riveted handles and pivots. If you send the knife in, our engineers will take a look at the grain of the steel to see if there were any anomalies from heat treating that might qualify as a fault in materials and workmanship and therefore be covered under warranty.

Complete information on returning products for warranty consideration can be found here: https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/

Stay safe,

Mike
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Definitely send it in. I had this happen on a S110V blade that was very new and not used much but was used and the edge was reprofiled. Since it appeared to be the blade steel 🤷, Spyderco service was top notch. Just noticed a crack by the hole. Actually noticed when the sound of opening it sounded like there was a slight rattle.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
standy99

Post by standy99 »

5 years that’s about less than 10c a day :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:45 am
5 years that’s about less than 10c a day :winking-tongue
That's about the way I feel about it too but I am going to send it in.. I don't care what they do so much as I want em to just look.

Stress factor maybe I have no idea

I still am hoping to find that blade I want it if nothing else and I worry it may get stepped on since I got no idea where it went.

My first broken spyderco blade after using them for decades. It's almost impressive really im hard on stuff.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

JAfromMN wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:24 am
Yeah I don't get it. It was cold but above freezing so that shouldn't matter. Maybe just sideways force did it somehow. Or maybe it was cracked and just waiting to happen and I didn't see it.

I didn't want to say anything but I got health issues and I shake maybe harder than I thought or want to admit.

I wish I had a video :)

I'm going to fish for that blade soon. That video would help ;)

I miss my police im bummed😞😕😔

Ok not too too bummed I replaced it with a civilian im ok :)
I feel very sorry for what happend to you're police. And i am glad you are happy again!
But i cant stop myself from asking why did you buy a civilian namely the one knife that even gets a card with it that you cant use it for anything but SD because it will otherwise break? :flushed
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Unless you were using it for a prybar there’s no reason such a stout a blade should ever break there. I expect they will find some freakish grain anomaly.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Police knives matter
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It would be great if you could find the blade, but it most likely won't happen. It can't hurt to send it in either way.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

By the way, today I learned about magnet fishing. ;)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:00 pm
By the way, today I learned about magnet fishing. ;)
Me too CF 😉…good luck JAfromMn 👍
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:53 pm
Police knives matter
😂 best thing I’ve read today - super droll! Well played sir!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE