Bodacious Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: Bodacious Discussion

Post by nerdlock »

vandelay wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:11 pm
It's cool to see Spyderco trying out more choil-less designs, but it's a bit disappointing to not see more knives getting the contoured handle like the shaman. I don't mind a slab handle on cheaper models, but if I'm spending as much as a shaman, I'm going to be comparing the handle to it.
IMHO I don't think it's even a question of cost, given than China-made affordable G-10 Spydies like the Tenacious family have better scale chamfering than almost all Golden-made G-10 models (with exception to the Shaman of course). Even the Byrd Tern, probably the cheapest G-10 model in the Spydie family, have much better chamfering. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it doesn't even have to be overtly contoured like the Shaman, but at least it could have gotten a bit wider bevel like Seki G-10s to help justify the cost.

I wonder how much cost does milling a 2mm, 45 degree angled bevel to a slab of G-10 add, considering these observations.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:06 am
Not all knives can do everything.
One aspect of the Shaman that has put me off from giving it a try is exactly the focus on harder and prolonged use. This translates to a thicker and heavier knife in pocket.

I realize that many consider theseuseful features in a folding knife, but for others a folding knife spends most of its time in the pocket. One could argue there is room for a true shaman choil less alternative as well, and maybe more variations on this theme will come along if it performs well. I'm one of those who carry way more than I cut, so all I can say is the Bodacious approach has more appeal with me.
I agree.

My shaman felt like a brick in my pocket. I don't think it's the weight, I've carried heavier folders that didn't feel as cumbersome - I believe it's the weight (5.1 oz) combined with the thickness and the round shape. If the Bodacious at 4.8 oz is a little bit slimmer, and sits flatter against my leg, it shouldn't feel as heavy. We'll see.

This is why I've used a Military for so long - it feels lighter than it is because it sits flat in the pocket and displaces its weight across 5.5" of flat, partially-liner-less handle. It carries in jeans or board shorts easily and I can barely feel it there.

I will say that the Native Shaman feels great in the hand, it really is impressive ergonomically. After handling the Bodacious at Blade, it's almost (99%) as good while feeling much thinner.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

nerdlock wrote:
vandelay wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:11 pm
It's cool to see Spyderco trying out more choil-less designs, but it's a bit disappointing to not see more knives getting the contoured handle like the shaman. I don't mind a slab handle on cheaper models, but if I'm spending as much as a shaman, I'm going to be comparing the handle to it.
IMHO I don't think it's even a question of cost, given than China-made affordable G-10 Spydies like the Tenacious family have better scale chamfering than almost all Golden-made G-10 models (with exception to the Shaman of course). Even the Byrd Tern, probably the cheapest G-10 model in the Spydie family, have much better chamfering. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it doesn't even have to be overtly contoured like the Shaman, but at least it could have gotten a bit wider bevel like Seki G-10s to help justify the cost.

I wonder how much cost does milling a 2mm, 45 degree angled bevel to a slab of G-10 add, considering these observations.
I'm not sure what manufacturing steps are done, but the shaman's contouring looks more time intensive than other knives. The contours are deeper and vary in depth in some places. I have no idea what sort of cost that would add, but it must add some machine time. It's also likely that a more complex part like that results in more rejected parts. I was under the impression that this plus the massive blade were the reason the shaman was so expensive.

I do agree that Golden could improve their chamfering though. The PM2's never fit me that well while the Military feels great to use and I think that just comes down to the Military having a decent bevel. Even the small bevel on the Manix feels a lot nicer and that's one of the cheaper models. There's probably something beyond cost driving that decision.
aicolainen wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:06 am
Not all knives can do everything.
One aspect of the Shaman that has put me off from giving it a try is exactly the focus on harder and prolonged use. This translates to a thicker and heavier knife in pocket.

I realize that many consider theseuseful features in a folding knife, but for others a folding knife spends most of its time in the pocket. One could argue there is room for a true shaman choil less alternative as well, and maybe more variations on this theme will come along if it performs well. I'm one of those who carry way more than I cut, so all I can say is the Bodacious approach has more appeal with me.
The shaman was about 13.5mm thick while most Golden knives are about 11mm thick. I would expect the Bodacious to be
about 11mm. The specs also say it'll be 11g lighter. IMO, this will probably still feel thick and heavy like the shaman.

I also find the contouring negates the thick feeling in the pocket, since you don't have the handle edges as hotspots. I have a knife that's 16mm thick but the scales are fully 3D machined so I never thought about the thickness.

Personally, I tend not to carry the shaman that much because the blade feels very bushcraft oriented, which is rarely what I'm doing.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I don't know why, but this knife is one of the few Spydercos that I don't really like the look of... it's just kind of meh. But that's OK, the Native Chief is a spear point that satisfies me for appearances! :smlling-eyes What I will say is that the Bodacious handle looks like it would be very comfortable.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

The more I look at it, the more I like it. Price is high so we'll have to do some penny pinching
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The real question is to DLC or to not DLC. I really like a satin blade, but the blacked out DLC is growing on me for this one.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm on the fence. I really like the large blade and relatively slim handle. And to be honest, I like something new! I'm neutral about the steel. IIRC street prices are usually about 70%, right? So $245-260 motivates me to look for other options. For many people, $200 represents a "soft ceiling" that doesn't often get crossed, and $250 represents another. At this price, it's not in the target price range of too many forumites. From the survey at the beginning of the year:

Attachments
q12 price.png
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

I love the concept, but I'm definitely in the camp of thinking it needs a more contoured handle, and it also needs more interesting steel for me to dig into my pockets for it.

I CruConCarta version would have me opening my purse strings.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I think it is fair to assume, that if Bodacious will become a success (I think a lot will depend on how the knife will sit in hand as the knife shape as such is super practical, no question about that) then we will eventually see a CruCarta version. But I guess we need a little patience. I would guess a year - give or take.

Optically I also prefer the murdered-out version as the satin blade somehow look over-proportionally wide relative to the handle and that is not the case with the full-black version.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:26 pm
$250 street price? That’s half the price of a handgun.
When I used to buy firearms 30 years ago they were all around $900 and up, but I get your point.

Some people know the basics in how to use an edged weapon for more than cutting boxes open.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
D-Pete

Post by D-Pete »

After seeing the reveal of the Bodacious, it triggered a “Déjà-vu feeling”.
There is a thread on the Bladeforum on a heavily modified Shaman:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/my- ... n.1735870/

In my personal opinion there is quit some resemblance between them. (Without judging the modifications on itself)

Anyway, the design of the Bodacious is very appealing:
-Thinner blade stock.
-Lesser choil gravitated handle.
Attachments
From the Blade forum thread:
From the Blade forum thread:
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

Is there a reasonable way for a buyer to arrange tip down carry on this knife?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

_This_ is what I’m talking about. Now, let’s see some sprints in K390, MagnaCut, etc. with micarta! I’ve really been enjoying my REX45 PM2 lately, more than cruwear. Yeah cruwear sharpens easy and wicked, but REX45 needs attention a lot less. Same with K390.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:12 pm
I'm on the fence. I really like the large blade and relatively slim handle. And to be honest, I like something new! I'm neutral about the steel. IIRC street prices are usually about 70%, right? So $245-260 motivates me to look for other options. For many people, $200 represents a "soft ceiling" that doesn't often get crossed, and $250 represents another. At this price, it's not in the target price range of too many forumites. From the survey at the beginning of the year:
As a data point, I've been able to fill any cutting tool need for under $200. High end japanese gyutos, custom bushcrafters, every multitool I've owned, agawa boreal saw, my pos lawnmower, S7 9" chopper, machetes, axes, hatchets, hair shears, steak knife sets, you name it.

It has to be really special for me to consider crossing that price point. I don't recall ever spending more on a knife itself. I do have an M4 DLC Manix that was just shy of $200 with $70 micarta scales installed, and that's the closest I've come.

I'm planning to buy a DLC Military 2 despite it being over $200, but aside from maybe a really nice sprint of that model I can't think of any other knife I'd drop over $200 for. I'm willing to make an exception for that because it's an update I've been asking for since something like 2009 or 2010, and I'm thrilled to see it put into production.

Past that, IMO, there is a serious case of diminishing returns. Going from a $60 Resilience to a $195 4V Military 1 sprint, for example, you get better edge holding, better fit and finish etc. But past that? It's mostly bragging rights about fancy materials that don't enhance function, and NASA level tolerances that don't matter to me.

But I'd be content with just a Chief Salt and an SRK for my general use knives.
:unicorn
Crox

Post by Crox »

I strongly agree with this. I’m having trouble finding the value for dollar on the Bodacious. What makes it more expensive than a Military 2?

The Shaman has more processing on the handle and thicker blade stock. These seem to justify higher prices.

Since I share the $200 sentiment, it’s a pass for me.
vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:32 pm
Bolster wrote:
As a data point, I've been able to fill any cutting tool need for under $200. High end japanese gyutos, custom bushcrafters, every multitool I've owned, agawa boreal saw, my pos lawnmower, S7 9" chopper, machetes, axes, hatchets, hair shears, steak knife sets, you name it.

It has to be really special for me to consider crossing that price point. I don't recall ever spending more on a knife itself. I do have an M4 DLC Manix that was just shy of $200 with $70 micarta scales installed, and that's the closest I've come.

I'm planning to buy a DLC Military 2 despite it being over $200, but aside from maybe a really nice sprint of that model I can't think of any other knife I'd drop over $200 for. I'm willing to make an exception for that because it's an update I've been asking for since something like 2009 or 2010, and I'm thrilled to see it put into production.

Past that, IMO, there is a serious case of diminishing returns. Going from a $60 Resilience to a $195 4V Military 1 sprint, for example, you get better edge holding, better fit and finish etc. But past that? It's mostly bragging rights about fancy materials that don't enhance function, and NASA level tolerances that don't matter to me.

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:32 pm
Bolster wrote:

$229 ;)
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm 99% sure they were cheaper than that when they came out.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m 100% sure they were not. They were $229.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

hmm must have gotten mine on the secondary market then because I didn't pay over $200 for mine.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If I had a complaint about the Shaman, it would be that my XL hand does not feel quite right on the handle when I grip it behind the finger-choil.

The top of the handle falls away from the heel of my palm (not so on my Military2, for example), and being so nicely contoured, the handle tells me it wants to roll (not so with my Military2).

This combined shortISH and roundISH handle might have actually been a reason for me to complain had I not been raised and, later, trained to make what I have work for me. My three Shamans suggest I have found a way to enjoy the fantastic grind of S90V, Cruwear, and M4 in the design.

So, now a different take on the Shaman is upon us. My curiosity about the Bodacious—fertilized by the likes of my Lil’Temp(s), Caribbean, Rock Jumper, and Leaf Jumper (each secure in my hand)—make my acquisition of the Bodacious (with its peekaboo ricasso) a no-brainer at even $100 more. I prefer anti-roll slab-sided handles in a length that exceeds (and supports) my grip.

I fully expect my wait for the Bodacious will have been worth it. At worst, I will make it so.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”