Yellow Magnacut :(

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TimButterfield

Re: Yellow Magnacut :(

Post by TimButterfield »

Thanks for the ZDP link, vandelay. That was very interesting that this particular steel could have that low of a temperature to temper it at that hardness. That 100 C temp is the water boiling point, so maybe easier to wait just a bit longer for the water to cool more. Or, as vivi mentions, that may be one case where the component breakdown is used or just dunk for shorter durations with a bit more cooling between dunks. It does make me curious how a cold water flush between dunks may affect the dying coloration (for those who want to experiment). My only ZDP is the Caly CF and I won't be dying that one. The Native 5 Salt I have is the Magnacut version, so no issues there. And, I now know to check the steel of any future FRN I buy just in case.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

fixall wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:14 pm
I took a different route with my MagnaCut Native 5 Salt...

That looks great! I'll likely go the same route in future, but I'm waiting for their hard anodised scales for the time being.

I dyed scales before. I'm not against it, but it is not my perference.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d be down for dayglow orange; no interest in red. I’m quite happy with bright yellow.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

fixall wrote:

These are great. I got the Para 3 LW set and they seem to true everything up. Still crazy light but much more solid if that makes sense. If you can catch the next drop, that would be my choice for the Native 5.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

fixall wrote:

That’s gotta be the prettiest Native Salt in the land!!! 👏👊
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Jason997 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:20 pm
I would hope that LC200n would fill this space. Why make knives with Magnacut with yellow scales?
LC200N knives (perhaps just the N5 Lw and the UK PK) used to be yellow (USA made) but updating them to green means that they match the Seki LC200N knives.

It looks like MC is the salt steel that Spyderco wants to run across it’s entire new salt line, so yellow makes sense as a default salt steel in the US.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:56 pm
fixall wrote:

That looks great! I'll likely go the same route in future, but I'm waiting for their hard anodised scales for the time being.

I dyed scales before. I'm not against it, but it is not my perference.
AWT really turned out a great product with these. No small feat either... The molded backspacer makes these pretty tricky!

I think you're making the right choice waiting for the hard anodized scales. I'm not a fan of Cerakote (and it's poor durability) on knives, which is why I went with the raw aluminum. :)
fixall

Post by fixall »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:38 pm
fixall wrote:

These are great. I got the Para 3 LW set and they seem to true everything up. Still crazy light but much more solid if that makes sense. If you can catch the next drop, that would be my choice for the Native 5.
Yea! Fit and finish are great on these. :) I was really surprised by the lack of play when I installed the scales. I had a set of dragonfly scales with a molded backspacer from a different maker, and the fitment just wasn't very great unfortunately.

I would have preferred titanium scales, but I'll take what I can get when it comes to the Native 5 LW! :D
fixall

Post by fixall »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:44 am
fixall wrote:

That’s gotta be the prettiest Native Salt in the land!!! 👏👊
Scales by Applied Weapons Tech, and blue anodized, titanium hardware by Blades We Love. :D
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Yellow is easier to dye than orange because orange is darker. The darker it is to start, the less options you have.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

My yellow N5 Magnacut quickly became dark red. But then it morphed into AWT blue scales when they came out. So, original colour, for my purposes, is better modable, than something that won't take the colour my whim fancies on the day when I have some spare time.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

fixall wrote:

Said it before: The Native does not work for me as well as many other Spydies do, but nevertheless it is still the coolest looking one imo!
And these scales make it look even better.. :cheap-sunglasses
Very nice!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)