Reveal 14 Live!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Haunted House

Re: Reveal 14 Live!

Post by Haunted House »

I’ve never had any interest in a Military until I saw this Crucarta one. Now I think I need a military 😄

Same goes for the Manix. I’ve never owned or used one, it’s always been in the “one day I’ll check one out” category.
But that Crucarta Manix… that’ll be hard to resist.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:36 pm
It’s not really about whether or not the Bodacious can be a new model and a variant at the same time. That’s exactly what it is. No doubt.

Regardless, in my eyes, the Bodacious appears to be a fairly distinct design for Golden and rarely is a variant so extensively modified.
It’s at least as much as the Shaman itself was from the Native.
Okay then I’m having difficulty understanding what you’re saying. That’s my bad.

I disagree. The Shaman was not just a variant of the Native 5. The Bodacious is a just a choil-less variant of the Shaman.
-Nick :bug-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The blade is a good deal thinner on the Bodacious. That, and the lack of a choil, are the biggest differences as far as I can tell.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I hope the cruwear micarta trend continues with the delica added. Would be my top pick.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m going to lay out my perspective so it’s hopefully more clear where I’m coming from. Not trying to do a repeat of the Military 2 discussion.

Relative to the Shaman, there’s a significant functional design change in removing the choil (something that consequently alters the edge length and grip area), different clip placement options, flatter scales, thinner blade stock, and slightly different grind (pulled the plunge diagonally back toward the finger guard).
We don’t really know of the internals yet.

Relative to the Native 5, the Shaman maintains the same general functional profile with a lock mechanism change, rounder handle scales, an upsize that increases edge length and grip area, thicker stock, modified grind (no swedge and lower flat grind), and different clip.

Spyderco’s product description states that the Shaman was inspired by the Native.
To quote “ …the Shaman offers the same advanced ergonomics and proven design dynamics in a larger, even more capable format.”

If I were to write that for the Bodacious, it would look something like this.
“The Bodacious takes the proven construction of our capable Shaman and modifies the design according to customer feedback, notably, by bringing the edge and handle closer together. For those that don’t use choils and prefer lots of edge length, we’re taking this knife’s ergonomic and cutting potential in your direction.”
Okay, I might just be having a bit of fun right there, but I don’t think it’s too far off.

To be fair, I’m not comprehensively considering every little change that Spyderco pays attention to like the flat or rounded hardware and said hardware’s materials/size/etc..
The Shaman most likely required more changes, in that regard.

Getting the Bodacious from the Shaman is comparable to some other models that were derived from a previous one, like the Pacific Salt from an Endura, a Chinook 4 from a Chinook 3/2/1, the Military 2 from the Military Model, or a Shaman from a Native.
Sometimes the new model is deeply modified from what it’s derived from, like those, and sometimes it’s more conservative like the Endela/Native Chief/Yojumbo/etc..
They’re sort of all different forms of CQI, but I think there are a few distinct ways that concept is applied as well as respective degrees to which it is taken.

That’s just how I’ve come to understand things.

(I edited to improve some of my wording).
Last edited by Cl1ff on Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Definitely grabbing a salt manix, crucarta manix, military!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

So, The Bodacious is about the size of a Shaman, but with that choil delete, it is 3/8" longer on the edge (not ginormous but a sizable difference, probably about 10% more edge for a rough comparison).
It also has flat G10 scales (one of the major complaints some people have about the Shaman. I love the thicc contoured scales, they make the knife a little more comfy in hand for me and the grip seems to correlate better with my hands).
It also has a nub delete (another common complaint about the Shaman series - I find it annoying too, just not enough to stop using it).
Finally (?, at least what is glaringly obvious to me at present), the edge geometry is totally different. Bodacious has a relatively thin, slicey, blade.

The shape of the handles is more reminiscent of a polestar or Lil Temp 3, not the Shaman. A lot of changes, nothing really exotic but definitely a different knife.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

defenestrate wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:47 am
The shape of the handles is more reminiscent of a polestar or Lil Temp 3, not the Shaman. A lot of changes, nothing really exotic but definitely a different knife.
The handle reminds me of a combination of the Caribbean and Lil' Temp 3. It has a curve at the blade similar to the Caribbean, not as flat at that end like the Lil' Temp 3. The overall shape seems similar to both and the closed length is between the two. But, the end of the handle is a bit more rounded without that little pointed part to help the grip. I think I'll like it.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I don't think I would have noticed resemblance to the Lil Temp, but it's there. I probably wish I hadn't noticed, because I really love the Lil Temp...and you know what that could mean.
Oddly, they're both described by Spyderco as "****-for-stout". I can relate, when I really want a Guinness. 🤣
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Great reveal!

Some of these can’t come soon enough, e.g. CF/S90V M2!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

DLT is getting ready
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
kobold

Post by kobold »

Considering the economic and political uncertainty and the sentiment in the markets, it's understandable and a good thing that Spyderco plays it safe... Even though this reveal could be called "Spyderco: Berserk mode".
But also I hope, with all these models out of the way, there will be a time and space for other stuff in the coming years, such as new steels for the Military 1 or the Mid-sized Native.
ATM I am happy about the SE Chap and instead of the Manix XL in CW I went for the "backlock Millie" (StretchXL) in the same steel released this time last year instead. All in all this reveal made me buy two new spydercos and that is not a bad achievement for the company.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The 2023 RETAIL PRICE GUIDE - Volume 4 needs some corrections.

The descriptions of the following two PM2 MagnaCut are transposed:
  1. C81GBKYLMCP2 - Para Military 2 Salt Yellow/Black G-10 CPM MagnaCut
  2. C81GMCBKP2 - Para Military 2 Salt Black G-10 CPM MagnaCut Black Blade
The descriptions of the following two UKPK should say MagnaCut NOT LC200N:
  1. C94PYL - UK Penknife Salt Yellow LC200N
  2. C94SYL - UK Penknife Salt Yellow LC200N
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

The design of the Bodacious is interesting, but I hope to see it come out in a Native sized platform.

The only thing that really grabbed my interest were the new Profile stones. They would be handy for when I travel and end up having to sharpen the in-laws kitchen knives. I think they would be easier to transport at least.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:49 am
i'm sorry, but i'm really not sure what there is for anyone to be disappointed about in this reveal.
No tip-down carry option on the Bodacious. I may be the only Spyderfan in the world who is disappointed by that, but on what otherwise seems to be a perfect knife design for me, it's a big disappointment.

I agree that overall it's a great reveal. I just don't need (or want) any more 50-50 choil designs, no matter what wonderful steel or whatever else they have.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

derangedhermit wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:08 pm
I agree that overall it's a great reveal. I just don't need (or want) any more 50-50 choil designs, no matter what wonderful steel or whatever else they have.

It's interesting, users' position on choils. I wonder if it is changing, I've seen this sentiment several different places recently. This is what it was 8 months ago in the poll we did. I wonder if there is a groundswell toward more people wanting full edges ('handle forward')? Is the green bar getting longer and the blue bar getting shorter? Would need to repeat the question next year, to find out.
Attachments
q4 choil.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

I'd be very interested in either the Manix XL or Military with it's brown handle and Cruwear steel, as my new "big folder".

At the moment, my big boy is the Military with fluted titanium handle but I just can't warm to it over the much more comfortable and grippy G-10 or Micarta.

The only stumbling block is UK knife laws put you into the same category as a serial killer, or worse, so selling anything I have is somewhere between hard to impossible and I'd really like to move the Ti Military on before I bought the new one. But still, if I had the means, I would be seriously looking at this one change in my rotation. Both those new models look fantastic - although I am leaning slightly toward the Manix with it's beautifully shaped handle.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:24 pm
derangedhermit wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:08 pm
It's interesting, users' position on choils. I wonder if it is changing, I've seen this sentiment several different places recently. This is what it was 8 months ago in the poll we did. I wonder if there is a groundswell toward more people wanting full edges ('handle forward')? Is the green bar getting longer and the blue bar getting shorter? Would need to repeat the question next year, to find out.
Thanks for that! 3 out of 10, I don't feel so lonely. But at least the Bodacious is being made - it's the tip-up only that got my goat. It's the same for the Caribbean, another great knife with no choil that I don't and won't own because it is tip-up only. The Lil Temp 3 in my pocket allows tip-down, works just fine. Shaman has 4-way carry, and that's why I took it for granted the Bodacious would too.

Could manufacturing cost of two more clip positions (on a $250 knife) be why Spyderco didn't bring over 4-way carry from the similar Shaman? It's a mystery to me.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Oh man, good things happen when you step away for a bit!!!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

derangedhermit wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:06 pm
Could manufacturing cost of two more clip positions (on a $250 knife) be why Spyderco didn't bring over 4-way carry from the similar Shaman? It's a mystery to me.
I sincerely doubt that. I'm not entirely sure why they chose this hole pattern but I am not convinced that it could have 6 more threaded holes right by the action of the compression lock without comprosmising it.

Also, it is fiarly uncommon that I hear people complaining about tip-up carry. To each their own, I like some tip down but usually prefer tip-up (and also 4 clip mounts).