Venting about Tanto PM2.. again.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Venting about Tanto PM2.. again.

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:54 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:23 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:12 pm
I agree with the OP and his concerns. I’m biased though as I’m a big fan of tantos, and have asked Spyderco to produce more over the years. I knew about this release and even had one in my cart. However, I forgot that bladehq doesn’t ship to Canada any longer.

If this knife was a sprint, or regular production I’d have one.
Thanks L.C. that's an excellent point I don't often think of, the arrangement puts not just a single variation of this knife, but the design itself out of reach for most of Canada, Europe, and the rest of the world.

I saw your reply so I thought, the heck with it, I’ll give it a shot. So I went back to the site and placed my order. This Canuck has a couple tricks up my sleeve so I’m hoping it lands in my grubby hands up here north of the border.
Fingers crossed for you!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

Available now. 6pm MT.

And a pic of mine that arrived a few hours ago. :smiling-cheeks

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Told my friend who had wanted one when I saw sovereign's post there, he went to the site and it was oos before he could get it in the cart. I messaged BHQ to see if anymore are coming (and asked them why they aren't advertising for a knife a lot of people want and have been waiting for). I'll let you know if I get a response.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

I'm betting they will be relisting QC issue returns over the next week or two, so they should be coming back in stock pretty regularly.
TABA68

Post by TABA68 »

Today at 4 - 5 pm eu time was avaible.
Boys, do you know if they restocking only black/black, or also jade m4? Thanks for response.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

TABA68 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:38 am
Today at 4 - 5 pm eu time was avaible.
Boys, do you know if they restocking only black/black, or also jade m4? Thanks for response.
Just Black I assume.

nosuchagency

Post by nosuchagency »

Subverto wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:18 am
I'm betting they will be relisting QC issue returns over the next week or two, so they should be coming back in stock pretty regularly.
rather odd statement on a couple levels... putting aside your implication toward vendor i don't recall this tanto model having a reputation for qc issues and i have pair of them from separate runs. you?
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

nosuchagency wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:16 am
Subverto wrote:
rather odd statement on a couple levels... putting aside your implication toward vendor i don't recall this tanto model having a reputation for qc issues and i have pair of them from separate runs. you?
Mine has terrible lock stick and the pivot is overtightened. Both are fixable. I view it no differently than breaking in a custom 1911. But if someone wants to return it, that's their right.

I didnt interpret the comment as an attack on BHQ. Why shouldn't they make these available given the high demand and limited supply?
- Richard
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I've been a BladeHQ customer for years and I can't recall them doing that kind of thing, they have always been fair and highly reliable in terms of business. That would be very unprofessional and dishonest to send people defect knives.
MidnightCoalCo.

Post by MidnightCoalCo. »

I have noticed a couple time recently that BladeHQs website has been a bit glitchy with their exclusive models. Last night the site showed a bunch of their prior exclusives to be in stock; however, it would not let you add them to the cart. Not sure what was going on there.
:bug-red-white Spyderco enthusiast with way too many to list. :bug-red-white
GonzoRider

Post by GonzoRider »

Fwiw my tanto was pretty much flawless out of the box and I didn't get in on the first or second batch from last week.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

nosuchagency wrote:
Subverto wrote:
Not attacking BHQ at all. A lot of people over on the Spyderco group have gotten Tantos with uneven grinds, lock stick, and off center blades. If I received a $200 knife with those issues I'd return it, as I have done before. There are plenty of people out there that are okay with those issues, so why not relist the knives that are returned? They passed Spyderco's QC, so they're clearly consider acceptable.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Subverto wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:08 pm
nosuchagency wrote:
Subverto wrote:
Not attacking BHQ at all. A lot of people over on the Spyderco group have gotten Tantos with uneven grinds, lock stick, and off center blades. If I received a $200 knife with those issues I'd return it, as I have done before. There are plenty of people out there that are okay with those issues, so why not relist the knives that are returned? They passed Spyderco's QC, so they're clearly consider acceptable.
Those seconds are at the seconds sale.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Good for me. I really like this knife. The hollow grind performs well, the tip is stout and functional. A great design. I wish anyone who wanted one, could get one. And that other companies could comission their own versions, that there could be sprints in different colors and steels.

I'm glad after a long time now I was able to get the S30V version, DLC even. I still think this knife is the biggest wasted potential in the catalog. But that's just my opinion.

As an anecdote my friend would like one of these. He's not glued to the knife world and isn't going to check BHQ three times a day to get one. If this knife were a standard production knife, he'd have bought one. I can't believe he's the only average knife buyer in that boat.

GonzoRider

Post by GonzoRider »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:40 pm

Good for me. I really like this knife. The hollow grind performs well, the tip is stout and functional. A great design. I wish anyone who wanted one, could get one. And that other companies could comission their own versions, that there could be sprints in different colors and steels.

I'm glad after a long time now I was able to get the S30V version, DLC even. I still think this knife is the biggest wasted potential in the catalog. But that's just my opinion.

As an anecdote my friend would like one of these. He's not glued to the knife world and isn't going to check BHQ three times a day to get one. If this knife were a standard production knife, he'd have bought one. I can't believe he's the only average knife buyer in that boat.
Good for you indeed! I've only been seriously into knives for a few months now. My uncle got me a Tenacious 12 years ago and I've had a few other knives here or there. Nothing serious though. When I bought my uncle a P3LW for his birthday the sickness took hold after I handled it.

Point being my quest for a tanto PM2 was much shorter than yours but the desire to own one was powerful. It was extremely frustrating feeling liked I missed out. I thought I got lucky when I saw a post on here that they were back in stock. Yet by the time I checked it was gone. I got to feel the disappointment all over again lol. Unlike your friend I am now glued to the knife world so I managed to get one. Although I actually wanted the satin version... It definitely shouldn't be this hard to get a PM2 in a certain blade shape. Hopefully this knife ends up being readily available in the future so more people can experience its awesomeness. :cheap-sunglasses
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

GonzoRider wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:46 pm
...... When I bought my uncle a P3LW for his birthday the sickness took hold after I handled it. ........

....... Hopefully this knife ends up being readily available in the future so more people can experience its awesomeness. :cheap-sunglasses
Hold onto your wallet🤣 this hobby is a lot more expensive than it used to be. But to reinterpret a phrase from Hunter Thompson.... Once you get locked into a serious knife collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Glad you were able to get one of these as well. I've missed out on plenty of exclusive color combos and steels, and that can be disappointing. But to miss out on a design entirely is another level of frustration. For me anyways.

*I should add for others, that as far as I can tell the knife was in good working order. If it was a return or if something is off, I haven't noticed.

resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

I like the tanto shape but these days I don't buy from BHQ so I'm pretty much out of the running unless I want to pay the butt price on eBay, which I do not.

I think there's some fair criticism of the way these exclusives drop but hey, I got my Elmax Wave opener PM2s so I'm prone to let it be. And one undeniable thing that's nice is when they do bring a second run of an exclusive out the prices can offer some serious value. You'll see exclusives with really desirable steels and cool features and they'll be like $50 less than the market price for the standard version - sure you gotta jump on them when you have the chance, but it's a great score when you get it.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sneaky Canuck does it again! Happy to say it made it north of the border. It’s a nice piece, some marks on the blade straight from factory though.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:38 am
Sneaky Canuck does it again! Happy to say it made it north of the border. It’s a nice piece, some marks on the blade straight from factory though.

:party glad it made it! Looks good with the Lynch clip :cheap-sunglasses

GonzoRider

Post by GonzoRider »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:03 pm
GonzoRider wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:46 pm
...... When I bought my uncle a P3LW for his birthday the sickness took hold after I handled it. ........

....... Hopefully this knife ends up being readily available in the future so more people can experience its awesomeness. :cheap-sunglasses
Hold onto your wallet🤣 this hobby is a lot more expensive than it used to be. But to reinterpret a phrase from Hunter Thompson.... Once you get locked into a serious knife collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Glad you were able to get one of these as well. I've missed out on plenty of exclusive color combos and steels, and that can be disappointing. But to miss out on a design entirely is another level of frustration. For me anyways.

*I should add for others, that as far as I can tell the knife was in good working order. If it was a return or if something is off, I haven't noticed.
Doing my best but I'm struggling! I'm definitely pushing it as far as I can... Luckily once I'm into something I tend to stick with it long term so no worries about having regrets. I certainly don't like seeing what these knives used to go for just a few years ago. Doesn't seem like they'll be getting any cheaper so I just try not to think about it lol.