A golden era of salts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydergoat

Re: A golden era of salts

Post by spydergoat »

In the vein of comparing the new salts, here are the "street prices" (not msrp!) currently on BladeHQ:

Stretch 2 XL $130.55
Para 3 LW $157.50
Manix 2 LW $162.40
Native Chief LC200n $178.50
Native Chief Magnacut $178.50
PM2 Satin $206.50
PM2 Black $220.50

Just some ramblings about "value"- feel free to ignore this part...

So with the chief salt costing the same for either steel, I'd take the magnacut. Vivi made the point that magnacut will probably be around for longer in the line. This makes sense, so I guess one argument in favor of choosing LC200n would be for someone who has never owned any LC200n and just wants to try it in the native chief platform while it's still on offer. And those who just love lc200n so much they wouldn't take magnacut for the same price.

The made in Japan Stretch 2 XL is the cheapest but IMO not that much cheaper that I wouldn't rather have the chief in LC200n or magnacut steel and have it made in USA. Plus existing Pacific Salt line still beats these in value at $113.75 for H2 and $135.10 for LC200n. Just my opinion.

If looking at purchasing any PM2 going forward, I would seriously consider the roughly 5% price increase to get the salt. Even if corrosion resistance isn't particularly needed, magnacut and what I expect to be a better handle are worth that to me.

For Manix enjoyers, the salt is a decent price jump over the $127.40 base model. I don't think that will stop anyone on this forum though from day 1 buying. But for the knife newbie or cash-strapped hard user/sharpener I think there is still a time to choose BD1n. Still cheaper than the Spy27 version.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I'm actually pleasantly surprised about the H2 on the Stretch. I think it may be awhile before we see Magnacut in Seki. I don't see a big difference in H2 vs LC200N and it is nice to have a little bit of a robust option on a thin long blade like the Stretch 2. The two models that jumped on my radar were the Stretch and Manix Salts. I do feel really bad for the Native LW BD1N and SPY27 models. They didn't stand a chance. Not even out yet and they are long forgotten. :winking-tongue
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

I will definitely be getting most the production salt models. My main focus is the catcherman first though since it’s limited. I spoke to my local dealer and they said they won’t have many coming in so they might have a lottery system to be fair with other buyers. I’m not sure how I feel about that haha
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Having choices in 3 super-stainless steels is great: H1/H2, LC200N, MagnaCut. I hope that High Impact Ceramic pans out too. I’m also a big fan of Vanax SuperClean. My most used EDC steel is 20CV/M390 in small folders.

Knife Steels Rated by a Metallurgist – Toughness, Edge Retention, and Corrosion Resistance
:

* New Steel above is MagnaCut
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
barnaclesonaboat

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:01 pm
barnaclesonaboat wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:43 am
Very excited to finally try a salt, and magnacut in a LW format is going to be the combo that has finally pushed me there.

In which model exactly? :smirk
The Manix! No, the Native Chief! No, wait! I'm going to be in trouble here :winking-tongue
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

barnaclesonaboat wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:35 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:01 pm
barnaclesonaboat wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:43 am
Very excited to finally try a salt, and magnacut in a LW format is going to be the combo that has finally pushed me there.

In which model exactly? :smirk
The Manix! No, the Native Chief! No, wait! I'm going to be in trouble here :winking-tongue

... we all are going to be... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I want them all but I have to prioritize. Which may vary well come down to which comes out first🤣

In order of priority

Magnanix
Magnachief
Cathcherman
StretcH2-XL
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd have a much tougher time deciding if the full sized versions were getting salt treatments (manix xl, military).

as it stands chief is the clear front runner for me, with whichever chief comes out 2nd being next, lol.

then the catcherman.....I've been asking for a sprint for a while and plan to grab two. One to try EDCing and one to keep pristine for now. If I don't like it as an EDC then I'll fish more frequently so I have an escuse to keep using it.

Once I have a few Chief Salts I have a feeling I'll be letting so of some of my other knives. It could truly be a one and done for me.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:25 pm
I'd have a much tougher time deciding if the full sized versions were getting salt treatments (manix xl, military).

as it stands chief is the clear front runner for me, with whichever chief comes out 2nd being next, lol.

then the catcherman.....I've been asking for a sprint for a while and plan to grab two. One to try EDCing and one to keep pristine for now. If I don't like it as an EDC then I'll fish more frequently so I have an escuse to keep using it.

Once I have a few Chief Salts I have a feeling I'll be letting so of some of my other knives. It could truly be a one and done for me.
i got to hold a chief once. it didn't really speak to me the way other models have. i will probably end up with one though because i like the size. the only thing i'm not sold on is the thickness... i find the native to be a little too thick. maybe the longer taper to the tip would change the geometry a little. what's your experience been?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:04 pm
vivi wrote:

i got to hold a chief once. it didn't really speak to me the way other models have. i will probably end up with one though because i like the size. the only thing i'm not sold on is the thickness... i find the native to be a little too thick. maybe the longer taper to the tip would change the geometry a little. what's your experience been?
The geometry is really good. Most people are concerned the tip is maybe a little too thin than too thick.

I tried looking up some of my old chief threads but didn't see any good photos of the tip of overall blade profile. Geometry wise is outcuts a Military, Police or Pacific Salt, so it's one of the better slicers in my collection. I dom't have exact numbers but it definitely comes thinner behind the edge than a lot of my other knives did.

One of the reasons I like the Chief is the choil feels perfectly comfortable for me to use.

I've said many times on most Spyerdcos like the Military or Manix XL, I'm behind the choil maybe 90% of the time.

It's a lot closer to 50/50 for me which grip I use on my Chiefs.

Big hands + long thumbs mean using a choil and thumb ramp at the same time feels awful on most models. Sure I can put my thumb forward of the thumb ramp and get a more comfortable hold, but then my thumb is in the way of what I'm cutting.

So the flat spine gives is the main thing that sets itself apart from others in my collection. I also appreciate the good geometry and how compact it is. It's basically the size / weight of an Endura, with the cutting edge of the Military.
:unicorn
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I am excited for multiple of these knives! The Native Chief Salt, the Catcherman, and the Stretch 2 XL LW H2.
The Stretch 2 XL LW H2 (wow that's a lot of letters, lol) should be hollow ground right? Like the H1 knives?
So with just a little bit of work on my end, I should be able to have it SUPER thin behind the edge, like I do on my H1 PacSalts, Right?
I hope this is the case, and am looking forward to getting it, and the others.

u.w.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:04 pm
vivi wrote:

I had a Chief for a short while, actually the 4V St. Nicks, so a really special one.

I liked it quite a lot, but in the end it could not compete with my Enduras in their size range.

But with the Chief LW, lighter weight, compared to G10 more contoured FRN (though appearantly not on Seki level when it comes to contouring) and a full SE option will definitely do a lot to "close the gap" to the Endura /Pac Salt in the light of my personal preferences.

And while yes, the Native 5 has a really (too) stout blade also for me, the Chiefs blade did not feel like that, most likely, as you point out, due to the tapering.
Much like the Para 3 blade has not only stout, but really too fat blade stock for my liking, the Millie though with the same stock, but a lot longer blade, does not.

And I mean the Chief has 3.2 mm in a blade a bit LONGER than the 3.00 mm stock Endura (not that much of a difference) while the 3 2 mm in the Native 5 compete with the clearly thinner 2.5 mm in the similarly sized Delica blade...

I am rather one of those who are worried that the Chief could be a bit to THIN in the tip area, especially in SE.
At least it looks and feels like that - very useful, but also very fine tip. Very different to a Native 5 tip imo.
If I'll end up liking the Chief LW enough to keep it long term, I might drop the spine a bit like it is the case on the Endura in order to make that tip a bit more durable... with a crying eye though, cause this inevitably will cost a bit of cutting edge.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

A Waterway and Siren in Magnacut is what I’m dreaming of.