When There's No Way to "Try Before You Buy"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Vamais

When There's No Way to "Try Before You Buy"

Post by Vamais »

F38DF90C-901D-4FFD-9927-72652BA79963.jpeg
Good old Cardboard Aided Design
-AHAB
WilliamMunny

Re: When There's No Way to "Try Before You Buy"

Post by WilliamMunny »

Awesome, really cool way to get the feel for a knife. Also if you did not know the pictures of the knives in the catalogs are actual size, making it even easier to try before you buy.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

hmm..
I guess that is way better than being totally surprised after unboxing, but inspired by your idea, what I'd really like is 3D shape files (no internals or IP protected details) of the handles or the knives in open position to be made available, so you could 3D print and hold an object with the exact dimensions and proportions before you buy.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:36 am
hmm..
I guess that is way better than being totally surprised after unboxing, but inspired by your idea, what I'd really like is 3D shape files (no internals or IP protected details) of the handles or the knives in open position to be made available, so you could 3D print and hold an object with the exact dimensions and proportions before you buy.

This would also allow people to make trainer knives, since very few models get actual trainer versions.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well done.

I’ve done this a few times, with just single layer cardboard, trying to get an idea for what a knife would be like in hand. I like your more realistic take involving multiple layers.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Probably best not to get it too wet as cardboard will dramatically lose its edge retention. At least it won’t rust like K390 will though. :winking-tongue

But Seriously, good idea.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Great job! How are you liking the temperance shape?
:bug-red-white
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

I like it a lot, more than I expected I would after comparing it visually to the Native 5, which I have daily'd for years and am very comfortable with.

For the last 8 months I've been carrying and using a crucarta PM2. It's nice, but so many times it feels like it's just too long, and the tip is too far away from my hand to have good control over what I am cutting (compared to the Native).

I've always been on the lookout for a stout Spyderco that performed as well in heavy duty cutting tasks as my GB1, but had more of a forward finger guard. The Lil' Temperance looks like it has a big enough handle girth to really get a crushing grip on, which is good for heavy cutting in wood, for instance (my main gripe with the PM2 and Manix 2 XL). The grip also feels good and secure any way I hold it, which is nice. And I love the grip of that textured FRN.
Screenshot 2023-10-26 071818.png
-AHAB