Venting about Tanto PM2.. again.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

Re: Venting about Tanto PM2.. again.

Post by Xformer »

nosuchagency wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:00 am
yeah, it went out of stock while i was waiting for hq to get back to me on whether liners were coated as was case in previous batch. when i finally received response confirming such on thurs morning they were still out of stock. glanced at site next morning and they were back in stock & snagged one. being this is the 4th release i suspect there will be another down the road.

place knife on wish list and hq will email you if/when it returns; i received email notification from them 10/17 @ 13:00.
Wait, the liners are coated on the tanto version now ?
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

It was in their email blast as a coming soon and now available email… I can’t tell you how many cool things I’ve missed out on by not paying attention.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
nosuchagency

Post by nosuchagency »

Xformer wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:15 am
Wait, the liners are coated on the tanto version now ?
yes, 3rd and now 4th release have been corrected to coated liners. i didn't pull trigger on picking up another last round due to the liner matter and then by the time it was being reported that coated liners were arriving in the mail it was too late...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Dodge wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:26 am
It was in their email blast as a coming soon and now available email… I can’t tell you how many cool things I’ve missed out on by not paying attention.
Same here. I've missed more than one cool thing not paying attention. Although that does go to my point about this blade shape being ONLY available as an extremely limited quantity exclusive every few years. It should be a standard production knife, and it should have been from the start.

I know, if I'm such a marketing genius, start my own knife company... tantos haven't been big sellers for Spyderco. But I think that had more to do with the Tanto offerings than a lack of interest in Tantos from the market. I've always passed on the Lum Tantos, but I'd have bet heavily on a Tanto PM2 being a popular knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

You know, the Crucarta models are basically an exclusive. If a dealer had claimed this combo we wouldn't have such fine new models from the Reveal to look forward to.
- Richard
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I suspect that somewhere, in the deepest recesses of the high security vaults at Spyderco World Domination Headquarters, are spreadsheets that explain all of the decisions we are pondering here - without benefit of much, if any, data.

I've never failed to snag an exclusive that I wanted, and MY spreadsheet here at Brian World Domination HQ tells me I have 46 of them. Some, like SNK's 4V "Deadpool" exclusives or TKJ's Cruwear & Forest Green G10s have required more effort, but most have been available for weeks or even months.

The retailers also have their spreadsheets, and some are larger businesses than others and can place larger orders. BHQ's M4 exclusives always seem to drop in large numbers, so if they are ordering fewer tanto PM2 exclusives I suspect there is a spreadsheet entry somewhere that justifies it.

Spyderco gambled on a production CruCarta PM2, then watched the spreadsheets for a couple of years and decided that it was a winner. Now we await all this new Reveal 14 CruCarta goodness.

Bottom line: Sal & Eric and the SpydieTeam appear to know what they are doing. I figure it is up to me to make it all work for me as best I can.
Brian
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

CDEP wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:15 pm
I've never failed to snag an exclusive that I wanted, and MY spreadsheet here at Brian World Domination HQ tells me I have 46 of them. Some, like SNK's 4V "Deadpool" exclusives or TKJ's Cruwear & Forest Green G10s have required more effort, but most have been available for weeks or even months.
At least exclusives aren't "one and done" like Sprints. We have multiple shots at an exclusive, it's just that some take awhile.
- Richard
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

CDEP wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:15 pm

The retailers also have their spreadsheets, and some are larger businesses than others and can place larger orders. BHQ's M4 exclusives always seem to drop in large numbers, so if they are ordering fewer tanto PM2 exclusives I suspect there is a spreadsheet entry somewhere that justifies it.

Or, QC issues have made dropping tantos fewer and far between compared to regular BHQ exclusives. My PM2 tantos have such a variety of variances with their grinds that I suspect in manufacturing these blades, they have produced more blades that won't pass QC for delivery to BHQ. IMHO, it's not always some spreadsheet figure that determines the volume of delivered units, there could be other factors too like QC issues.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I agree with the OP and his concerns. I’m biased though as I’m a big fan of tantos, and have asked Spyderco to produce more over the years. I knew about this release and even had one in my cart. However, I forgot that bladehq doesn’t ship to Canada any longer.

If this knife was a sprint, or regular production I’d have one.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

riclaw wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:57 pm
At least exclusives aren't "one and done" like Sprints. We have multiple shots at an exclusive, it's just that some take awhile.

Many dealer exclusives are one batch and done. It all depends on how well the first batch sells and the quantity of the first batch.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:12 pm
I agree with the OP and his concerns. I’m biased though as I’m a big fan of tantos, and have asked Spyderco to produce more over the years. I knew about this release and even had one in my cart. However, I forgot that bladehq doesn’t ship to Canada any longer.

Thanks L.C. that's an excellent point I don't often think of, the arrangement puts not just a single variation of this knife, but the design itself out of reach for most of Canada, Europe, and the rest of the world.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
TABA68

Post by TABA68 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:23 am
Dodge wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:26 am
Same here. I've missed more than one cool thing not paying attention. Although that does go to my point about this blade shape being ONLY available as an extremely limited quantity exclusive every few years. It should be a standard production knife, and it should have been from the start.

I know, if I'm such a marketing genius, start my own knife company... tantos haven't been big sellers for Spyderco. But I think that had more to do with the Tanto offerings than a lack of interest in Tantos from the market. I've always passed on the Lum Tantos, but I'd have bet heavily on a Tanto PM2 being a popular knife.
Hi,
I am new in forum and from Europe. Just let you know, if you still like to have tanto, look at site severals times a day. I was just lucky and ordered PM tanto Black/black one hour ago. It was only one in stock. So may be, there will be more forgoten stock. I am going to pay 50usd shipping and than 30% as custom fee. So you us guys are fortunate. Anyway, just wish you luck.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Someone sent me a PM that they were in stock again this morning. You know who you are, thank you very much.

I swallowed my pride and ordered one.

My criticisms still stand, and what about the rest of people who want one? If someone in the states sees this post soon enough they might be able to snag one, but everyone else is out of luck.

riclaw

Post by riclaw »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:14 pm
riclaw wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:57 pm

Many dealer exclusives are one batch and done. It all depends on how well the first batch sells and the quantity of the first batch.
Well, forever is awhile :winking-tongue

Honestly, though, it's Bento Box that irks me with them locking down the blue g10.
- Richard
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:50 am
Someone sent me a PM that they were in stock again this morning. You know who you are, thank you very much.

My criticisms still stand, and what about the rest of people who want one? If someone in the states sees this post soon enough they might be able to snag one, but everyone else is out of luck.
Congratulations, man! Glad you got one.
- Richard
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thanks. I wasn't intending to 'squeaky wheel' my way into one. But I will take it. I've wanted one of these for too long. Some are still waiting 😕

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:50 am

Congrats!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Maybe we're starting to see the PM2 tanto as being a regular drop at Blade HQ ? Could be a good time... As long as the usual scalpers left the model alone.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ooS again. One wonders about that. Maybe I'm getting someones return? 😄 I'm alright with it.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:23 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:12 pm

Thanks L.C. that's an excellent point I don't often think of, the arrangement puts not just a single variation of this knife, but the design itself out of reach for most of Canada, Europe, and the rest of the world.

I saw your reply so I thought, the heck with it, I’ll give it a shot. So I went back to the site and placed my order. This Canuck has a couple tricks up my sleeve so I’m hoping it lands in my grubby hands up here north of the border.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra