Lightweight variant blades in standard handles.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Lightweight variant blades in standard handles.

Post by JoviAl »

I’m wondering if anyone has had any success swapping lightweight model blades into standard full-liner handles? I’ve done it on UKPKs (S110V into a HH 4 pin handle), but am wondering about doing the same on the new manix 2 Magnacut LW and native chief Magnacut LW blades into full liner handles (which I already have and prefer for work).

Anyone swapped manix or N.Chief LW blades into standard full liner handles previously?
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
endura3

Re: Lightweight variant blades in standard handles.

Post by endura3 »

I've swapped N5 LW blades into G10/CF handles before without issue, and have swapped blades back and forth between Seki nested-liner and linerless Salt models. With the Seki ones there are always little things to be aware of (e.g., Salt 2 lockbars are wholly incompatible with Delica 4 blades and vice versa), but the Golden models seem pretty consistent across the board. I just always make sure to keep the original blade and lockbar pairs together.

I can't speak to the Manix, but I'd imagine blades for both that and the Chief are likely swappable between the LW and standard handles.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I haven't done it yet, but I picked up a Native Chief in Rex45 for the Burnt Orange scales. I plan to swap the Rex45 for the Magnacut.

Link to Rex45 Chief if interested: https://notjustguns.com/product/spyderc ... uct_detail
- Richard
vivi

Post by vivi »

works in the resilience.

chief blades should be swappable but im guessing scales will not be. which is unfortunate because I'd put the green g10 scales from my m4 dlc chief on a salt version since there's no liners to rust.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

riclaw wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:06 pm
I haven't done it yet, but I picked up a Native Chief in Rex45 for the Burnt Orange scales. I plan to swap the Rex45 for the Magnacut.

Link to Rex45 Chief if interested: https://notjustguns.com/product/spyderc ... uct_detail
tempting. i gave mine to someone else, it'd be kind of nice to have another and that's a good price. just afraid my g10 chiefs might collect dust once the salt versions drop. hmm.....
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this has been my plan all along with the manix, but i've seen mixed reviews on it working. i'll definitely report my experience when i am able to get mine and try it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

endura3 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:03 pm
(e.g., Salt 2 lockbars are wholly incompatible with Delica 4 blades and vice versa)
I haven't swapped any blades around, but it seems like you'd want to keep blades paired up with their original lockbars?
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I wonder if/when someone will come out with a titanium scale set for the LW Chief 🤔
- Al

Dream knives -
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I swapped Police 4 and Resilience LW blades into G10 handles. They work perfectly.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Did it for the Native, Para 3, Tenacious. Even swap a N5 LW blade into a Native Chief handle once, for fun :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:37 am
Did it for the Native, Para 3, Tenacious. Even swap a N5 LW blade into a Native Chief handle once, for fun :')
I like the cut of your jib 😂 I bet that N5/Chief mashup looked hilarious!
- Al

Dream knives -
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JoviAl wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:19 pm
Ramonade wrote:
At the time, I found it extremely cute ! And then some people complain about edge to handle ratio :thinking :bug-red-white
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:30 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Ramonade wrote:
At the time, I found it extremely cute ! And then some people complain about edge to handle ratio :thinking :bug-red-white
It doesn’t look as out of place as I assumed it would. Sort of like a Shaman 🤔
- Al

Dream knives -
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I was going to say it doesn't look as crazy as I thought too. If some wanted a luxuriously large handle, but perhaps had a blade length restriction, it would work.
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

Good name, Native Chive.

I tried swapping blades between a BladeHQ M4 Native 5 LW and my well worn S35VN Native 5 G10. It worked, but neither combination had what I considered to be super great lockup. Granted, I am VERY particular about lockup. I like my folders to feel like fixed blades when they are opened--not even a lick of discernable play, even if it comes at the expense of flickablility and drop-shuttiness. The Spyder hole is always good for a fast, controlled roll open anyways.

I can't remember if I swapped lock bars too, but I think I might have.
-AHAB
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:30 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Ramonade wrote:

Having seen this I´ll never be bothered by the not-blade-filled space in a closed Endela or Rockjumper anymore... :grin-sweat ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

🤣
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

You still will. 😅😂
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Vamais wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:36 pm
Good name, Native Chive.

I tried swapping blades between a BladeHQ M4 Native 5 LW and my well worn S35VN Native 5 G10. It worked, but neither combination had what I considered to be super great lockup. Granted, I am VERY particular about lockup. I like my folders to feel like fixed blades when they are opened--not even a lick of discernable play, even if it comes at the expense of flickablility and drop-shuttiness. The Spyder hole is always good for a fast, controlled roll open anyways.

I can't remember if I swapped lock bars too, but I think I might have.
For the video we can't see it but I swapped lock bars too. For the Native 5LW to G10 I used to find it ok to swap but now I sometimes detect some vertical blade play even if I keep the lockbar. My guess is that the hole in the lockbar or pin placement isn't always exactly (like to 0.0005" exact) the same. For the Linered N5 I think you have to not swap the lockbar, since it's an older construction and the lockbar isn't compatible with the newer pinned N5s :)

Vamais

Post by Vamais »

Hmm, I didn't realize that Spyderco had switched to linerless and a pinned lock bar pivot on the G10 N5. I'm glad I got mine when I did.
-AHAB