Native Chief LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Notsurewhy

Re: Native Chief LW

Post by Notsurewhy »

In yellow the long thin lines of the chief really make it look like a banana. John Cleese would be proud.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I was leaning towards the Chief LW in Spy27 but Reveal 14 has got me fired up about the Chief Salt in Magnacut now. It'll be a nice companion to my Native 5 Salt Magnacut SE. I'd like to try dyeing FRN for the first time and see if I can manage a dark orange shade for them both.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I am still on the fence about the idea of dying handles, some people seem to have no problems, but others have had it start to rub off over time which is what I'm afraid of. I really don't want it to rub off and stain anything or look worn out as a result of it coming off.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
vivi

Post by vivi »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:37 am
I am still on the fence about the idea of dying handles, some people seem to have no problems, but others have had it start to rub off over time which is what I'm afraid of. I really don't want it to rub off and stain anything or look worn out as a result of it coming off.
its easier than tying a shoe ;)
:unicorn
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

Scandi Grind wrote:
I would prefer not to Rit Dye my knife but that hideous yellow is just too much for me to deal with. I would prefer hot pink over yellow. Unfortunately the only color Magnacut available in right now is yellow. :nauseated
vivi

Post by vivi »

not getting the hesitation to dye pocket knives.

rit dye costs about $5 for a bottle and there's enough per bottle to dye 20 knives.

its even easier with salts because you don't have to take the scales off if you're doing simple dyes where the scales match.

it's so cheap, easy and simple. My kid dyed her own knife when she was 6.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Cricket Bite wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:32 am
Scandi Grind wrote:
I would prefer not to Rit Dye my knife but that hideous yellow is just too much for me to deal with. I would prefer hot pink over yellow. Unfortunately the only color Magnacut available in right now is yellow. :nauseated
A blade swap with a color you like better could work, then sell the spare with the yellow handle. I bet there is someone out there who would like a dlc serrated chief with a yellow handle.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I surely would, if it doesn't void the warranty.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I don't tend to put much stock in warranties anyway, but would it void the warranty?

From Vivi's comments it sounds like I might have a dye project coming soon. I have to prove I am at least as competent as a six year old right? :rofl I'm thinking of just making my blue Endura a darker more subtle blue.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
vivi

Post by vivi »

Don't take my word for it but I'm pretty sure dying factory scales doesn't void the warranty these days.

With salts its super simple. You can dunk the entire knife into the dye. With FRN you can have your scales dyed with less than a minute soak. Just make sure to clean the scales well first if its a user so there are no oils on the scales that would prevent them from soaking up color.

If you're picky you'll want to soak it some with the blade opened and closed to get 100% visible coverage on the inside of the scales. Of course if you want the inside of the pivot area dyed etc. tok your best bet is removing the blade. I never see that part of the handle so I just leave the blades in when I dye salts.

I'm really pumped to get the best version possible of the Chief. Dark green lightweight salt version is going to be my new "the one," a spot previously held by the Pacific Salt 1 for what feels like forever.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I meant the blade swap Notsurewhy mentioned might void the warranty.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:19 pm
I meant the blade swap Notsurewhy mentioned might void the warranty.
Oh, I'm sure that voids the warranty.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Me too, but I'm curious if the sharpening service goes away too.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Spyderco has sharpened a Police 4 LW of mine that had been blade swapped fwiw.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I do not own any Yellow scales yet, but when quickly picking out a knife colored scales sure makes it easy depending on the task. Better yellow than pink, for a guy.

I'll keep my scales yellow when I buy the knife. If I were to buy aftermarket scales, I'd set the yellow scales aside and keep them yellow in case I wanted to put them back on the knife.

Around water, yellow is a pretty common color for fishing, diving and boating.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Interesting, vivi. I wonder if that's normal, or it just slipped through. I'm just curious for no reason though. I don't have any blade swapped knives.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

These days if I'm going to get FRN, I'd prefer it be yellow so I can dye it any color I want, or do a fade since I actually like the darker Magnacut Salt yellow. I haven't seen much wear on my dyed N5, but if it does wear, no big issue, I'll probably leave it as is, and if it eventually bothers me, I'll just dye it again.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

With the recent announcement that GP Knives is extending their white/Rex 45 exclusive to the Manix line, I'm hopeful that they release a Native Chief LW in Rex 45. I've heard good things about the steel and missed out on the sprint. I remember when they did this configuration for the Native 5. It seemed to hang around for a bit. They even reduced their already great price for the exclusive. I thought that maybe this configuration wasn't all that popular. But we now have a Manix in the pipeline, so who knows what will happen. I have no knowledge that this configuration is coming, I'm just hopeful.