Reveal 14 Live!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: Reveal 14 Live!

Post by RamZar »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:24 pm
RamZar wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:33 pm
Bolster wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:25 pm
The big question:

When available?

"Soon" is the answer I assume?
There's a lot in the pipeline for various upcoming models announced in various Reveals and Product Guides...

But--but--website definitively says "Available Now" in big white italic letters...

(Of course can wait. Just, interesting that website says 'available now,' and I'm curious why. Maybe they mean that Reveal 14--the announcement itself, not the product--is available now? I've never thought of an announcement as being 'made available,' but maybe it's time for me to learn something new about modern marketing!)

Reveal 14 Brochure is Available Now not the Products therein! :smlling-eyes
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:44 pm
Reveal 14 Brochure is Available Now not the Products therein! :smlling-eyes

Oh the BROCHURE! Oh, OK then! In that case I'm thrilled to have the brochure! :smiling-cheeks :smiling-cheeks
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Some great stuff in this reveal but not sure there's anything I really want. I've wanted some Magnacut for awhile but not sure I want another M2LW or Para 3. I'll probably get a Lil' Native LW and maybe the SpyMyto.

I just spent a bunch of money on my competitive rifle shooting hobby. So adding more knives I don't really need may not be so wise right now. We'll see how I feel about each when they finally hit the market. Maybe I'll trade some in to get something else
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
M249Luke

Post by M249Luke »

I am so excited to see all of these great knifes!!!! I have never owned a spyderco before and I am looking forward to the military 2 sv90!!!! I have watched tons of reviews on ALOT of yalls knifes and I am absolutely ecstatic for my first spyderco knife! Good job yall!!!
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:29 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:26 am
ImageImage
I don’t even wanna know how much this is gonna cost me cuz I DON’T CARE!!!😉
Kaparaman

Post by Kaparaman »

I'm really excited about the mule. I bought some kitchen knives made out of this stuff a couple of years ago and they hold an edge really well. They're not as tough as steel, but they are actually flexible, which is a game changer for ceramic knives. Pete did some testing on these on his Cedric and Ada Gear and Outdoors youtube channel. Just search for "flexible ceramic knife test"
Kapara: S30V <3<3<3, 20CV
Shaman: Cruwear, 4V, S90V CF, 15V
Manix 2: 4V, M390, M390 DLC, 15V
PM2: Cruwear, S110V, 15V
Dodo: M4
Yojumbo: M4
Mule: 15V, T15
I forget the rest: ?, ?, ?....
Dream knife: Kapara S90V marble carbon fiber
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Well... finally! And judging by all the excitement climactally bursting out of some of you guys the tease and postpone marketing clearly worked on you... :winking-tongue

For me it's a bit "Meh", I'm afraid... pretty much all I see is more of the same, with the "newest" thing being a slightly modified Shaman as the lead of this reveal.

I kinda miss the times when Spyderco put out new designs every year, collaborating with external knife makers and designers. I miss knives like the Nirvana, the Kapara, the Spydiechef and the Slysz Bowie, the Canis, I miss knives like the Amalgam, the Smock, the Sliverax, the Southard, the Drunken, the Subvert, I miss knives like the Bradley Bowie, the Waterway... you get the point.

Ever more iterations of well-trusted and well-loved designs in ever new colors and ever new steels surely enlighten the dark empty corners in any hardcore collector's home and I'm happy for every happy moment any soul out there is experiencing, but while I, too love the basic design of the (Para-) Military Line, the Manix Line, the Native Line, their ever more iterations just don't do it for me.

I'd love to see Spyderco be more bold in their approach to the knife market when it comes to designs. That's how I came to really respect this brand.

notorious fidgeteer
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I think the SpyMyto Flash Batch is a very nice and unique collaboration with LionSteel in a steel you don’t see often and a design which won’t be repeated.

Last edited by RamZar on Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

boldness is not only about new and weird designs. they have a lot of great designs that work for them and people want them in bold new steels. spyderco can only make so many things at once. they spoke about offering their main models in a range of steel options years ago and this reveal seems like it's a huge step in that direction.

i'm sure they're not done with bold designs. most of those you listed are still available. the spymyto fits your description of bold collabs as well, considering it's specs. i'd much rather see a reveal like this one than a bunch of poliwogesque designs for the sake of showcasing the weird. i'm sorry, but i'm really not sure what there is for anyone to be disappointed about in this reveal.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I think the magnacut offerings alone are fantastic. I’m stoked about the cruwear line up as well. But magnacut is a great steel.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:49 am
boldness is not only about new and weird designs. they have a lot of great designs that work for them and people want them in bold new steels. spyderco can only make so many things at once. they spoke about offering their main models in a range of steel options years ago and this reveal seems like it's a huge step in that direction.

i'm sure they're not done with bold designs. most of those you listed are still available. the spymyto fits your description of bold collabs as well, considering it's specs. i'd much rather see a reveal like this one than a bunch of poliwogesque designs for the sake of showcasing the weird. i'm sorry, but i'm really not sure what there is for anyone to be disappointed about in this reveal.
The reveal didn't have much of what he was looking for, so thats why he feels partly disappointed. It’s the same thing as if this reveal didn't have a Manix 2 Salt, you would’ve been disappointed.

I actually tend to agree with eventhorizon. The SpyMyto is the only truly new model in the reveal and it’s a, one-time only, Flash Batch. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Boadacious but when it comes down to it, it’s essentially just a variation of the Shaman. (Again, not a bad thing but not exactly a “new” thing either.)

In comparison to something like the 2018 Midyear Product Guide, with all of the new models featured in that, I can understand the frustration of not seeing as many truly new offerings or collaborations for a while now. Even though anything “newly released” from Spyderco will get me excited, I actually share this sentiment of frustration to a certain degree. In the sense that, I also would’ve liked to see another collaboration or two. Hasn’t changed anything for me though. I like to see it as an opportunity to have something to look forward to.

It might sound contradictory but do like how selective Spyderco has become about what collaborations they produce and which designers they choose to work with. From my perspective, it truly makes working with Spyderco a privilege that comes with a certain level prestige and honor.

There are some up and coming brands who have adopted the approach of collaborating with anyone they can name drop. They repeat the same handful of lines about every knife they make and heavily rely on constantly name dropping as the main method of marketing their products. They just completely lack any unique identity as a brand.

Even though Spyderco has seemingly reeled back a little over the past few years, their identity as a brand has only gotten stronger! :bug-red :respect
-Nick :bug-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:14 am
i get what you're saying. i'm just saying spyderco is trying to build up their lineup to offer designs that are proven to work to a wider customer base. if you like spyderco, the chances are pretty high that you like something that was in this reveal. i was also trying to point out that using newer steels and adding to production steels is bold as well. it's not always about different shapes.

anyway, i can see why someone might like the different new designs instead of steel and color changes. and you're right that i'd be disappointed if the manix salt still wasn't in a reveal, but just like the last reveal, i would've still liked other designs that were revealed.

i like collabs too, but i got to a point where i want them less because they are someone else's design. the spymyto is really compelling to me though. the only italian knife i have is the roadie. also, i was bummed to miss out on the brouwer and this one looks even better to me once the flipper is removed. very compelling design for me, even though i don't prefer frame locks anymore.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Excited to see more Cru-carta! Buuuttt, I REALLY would have preferred a Military 1 as that is my favorite Golden model. I will definitely be picking up the Manix XL in Cru-carta though! Maybe the Manix as well.

The Catcherman is great surprise! Thanks for bringing this back! I'll be grabbing a few for sure! This coincides perfectly with me getting back into fishing. I've been on a fishing spending spree! :)

The Stretch Salt is probably another I'll pick up.

For Reveal 15 I hope we see Cru-carta make it's way into the Seki models. The Endela, Delica, and Wharnie Delica, and Wharnie Endela, Jester, Manbug Wharnie, etc. All of these would be immediate purchases.

I feel like the Dodo-fly is going to make a Reveal 15 appearance as well...
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:07 pm
huyfishin wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:23 pm
What’s the best way to guarantee myself a catcherman? Find online retailer? Or buy directly from spyderco? Also how soon after this reveal will it be available?

Looking at your vids and pics: YOU really do need and deserve one...

In guess Spyderco should send you a Catcherman Salt for free, you´d be a great ambassador for it ;) (as would be Lance / Surfing Gringo)

You're too kind haha Thank you! Your words are much appreciated!
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

If the Bodacious is not a new model, neither is any other model in any of Spyderco’s knife design “families” after the original design.

Aside from that, I agree that I’m still looking forward to new designs. It is cool that they can still surprise with something like the SpyMyto, though.

I was expecting one or two other of the models we’ve found out about outside of the reveals and we got the Bodacious.

I think something that’s changed, however you see it, is that knife makers and designers have overwhelmingly looked toward Chinese OEMs over the last few years.
I think there’s more to consider than just that too, but I don’t have time to get into it right now.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Collaborations, mostly coming out of Taichung, are expensive endeavors for both Spyderco and the consumer. Most seem to be one batch and done.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:16 pm
If the Bodacious is not a new model, neither is any other model in any of Spyderco’s knife design “families” after the original design.

Aside from that, I agree that I’m still looking forward to new designs. It is cool that they can still surprise with something like the SpyMyto, though.

I was expecting one or two other of the models we’ve found out about outside of the reveals and we got the Bodacious.

I think something that’s changed, however you see it, is that knife makers and designers have overwhelmingly looked toward Chinese OEMs over the last few years.
I think there’s more to consider than just that too, but I don’t have time to get into it right now.
The Shaman was a new model when it came out. The Bodacious is coming out as a variation of the Shaman. Yes, I would consider the Bodacious a “new model” in the sense that it is now it’s own platform but it is still a variation of an existing model. Those things don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

The SpyMyto is a new model to Spyderco. It’s not a variation of any model they’ve already had in their catalog. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against any of their existing models and still get just as excited when they release something like the Bodacious but the releases like the SpyMyto (new models, not flash batch’s) have been few and far between for a while now.
-Nick :bug-red
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Holy crap! This will make me open my wallet. Haven't bought a new spyderco all year.....
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

eventhorizon wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:22 am
...I miss knives like the Nirvana, the Kapara, the Spydiechef and the Slysz Bowie, the Canis, I miss knives like the Amalgam, the Smock, the Sliverax, the Southard, the Drunken, the Subvert, I miss knives like the Bradley Bowie, the Waterway...

I think Spyderco has made a course correction within the past few years, to follow a more standard marketing strategy -- i.e., concentrating on variations of known best-sellers, as opposed to throwing as many hail-marys on radical new designs, as they used to. It's risk reduction. Probably good for the bottom line.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

It’s not really about whether or not the Bodacious can be a new model and a variant at the same time. That’s exactly what it is. No doubt.

Regardless, in my eyes, the Bodacious appears to be a fairly distinct design for Golden and rarely is a variant so extensively modified.
It’s at least as much as the Shaman itself was from the Native.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: