Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by Ramonade »

Well I, for one, would say that the creator of something can call it what he wants. That's his right :winking-tongue .
And the owner of an object can give it the nickname he wants, too. That philosophy actually makes everyone happy, in this particular case !

I'm gonna use my Civility Deux to cut some micarta burrs today :grin-smiling-eyes
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
MDNY102

Post by MDNY102 »

Oh well, just venting on my part.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:18 am
Well I, for one, would say that the creator of something can call it what he wants. That's his right :winking-tongue .
And the owner of an object can give it the nickname he wants, too. That philosophy actually makes everyone happy, in this particular case !

100 % agreed, and I personally have not read a single comment actually criticizing Spyderco or Sal for calling it the Millie 2!

Still, on a high level discussion forum folks with deep interest and thus detailed thoughts concerning the products should also be allowed to utter their personal opinion without getting torn apart for their words ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:28 am
Ramonade wrote:

100 % agreed, and I personally have not read a single comment actually criticizing Spyderco or Sal for calling it the Millie 2!

Still, on a high level discussion forum folks with deep interest and thus detailed thoughts concerning the products should also be allowed to utter their personal opinion without getting torn apart for their words ;)
Oh yeah, I'm just putting that out there since I've seen people really angry against the fact that the Military 2 is different than the Military. It wasn't here but I thought it good to have this written somewhere, to remind people that we're discussing knives we did not make ^^.
Doesn't stop anyone from having opinions or thoughts about this, it shouldn't !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:13 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:28 am
Ramonade wrote:
Oh yeah, I'm just putting that out there since I've seen people really angry against the fact that the Military 2 is different than the Military. It wasn't here but I thought it good to have this written somewhere, to remind people that we're discussing knives we did not make ^^.
Doesn't stop anyone from having opinions or thoughts about this, it shouldn't !

I don´t recall anyone actually being angry that the Millie 2 is different than the Millie (1).

Rather folks getting angry by people daring to point out that for THEM subjectively the above is the case... ;)

Honestly, the Millie 2 discussions were pretty weird and not like I personally am used to how things are going on this forum.

I mean, imagine they brought out a next PM2 generation, and it would feature a linerlock instead of a comp.lock and the minimal Milli 1 choil instead of the current more substantial PM2 choil.. there´d be also people pointing out that for them personally the then "old" PM2 is different and that they´d prefer the then "old" choil and the comp.lock.

Just when it comes to the changes from Millie 1 to Millie 2 people sometimes almost freak out when someone has just opinions about that.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:30 am
I don´t recall anyone actually being angry that the Millie 2 is different than the Millie (1).

Rather folks getting angry by people daring to point out that for THEM subjectively the above is the case... ;)

Honestly, the Millie 2 discussions were pretty weird and not like I personally am used to how things are going on this forum.

I mean, imagine they brought out a next PM2 generation, and it would feature a linerlock instead of a comp.lock and the minimal Milli 1 choil instead of the current more substantial PM2 choil.. there´d be also people pointing out that for them personally the then "old" PM2 is different and that they´d prefer the then "old" choil and the comp.lock.

Just when it comes to the changes from Millie 1 to Millie 2 people sometimes almost freak out when someone has just opinions about that.
Oh yeah, you're not targeted by my message that's what I wrote. I meant that I read that on FB groups, just did not want to cite the places ;) .

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

MDNY102 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:24 am
Oh well, just venting on my part.
Don't worry, a lot of people see more similarities to the PM2 than the Military.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I used to think the Military 2 should be called the PM4. Now I think it doesn't matter at all. What matters is that the new version itself is a great knife. And although I don't have one, by all accounts from those who have them, it is.

And who knows how many times the PM2 is going to be CQI'd and changed enough to become another number.

Besides, 'Military 2' rolls off the tongue better than 'PM - whatever,' IMO.

Jim
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm looking forward to my first military being a military 2. i never saw much reason to get a military when i already had a large spyderco liner lock in the resilience. now that i live in fl though, i can't legally carry a resilience because it's over 4". the military 2 is going to be a nice answer to a larger spyderco folder. bring on the dlc though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Totally NOT a world shattering difference ;), but still something I noticed and prefer on the Millie 2:

The combo edge version appearantly leans more towards SE (has a higher percentage of SE (vs PE)) on the "2".
And of course offers the more "modern", mellower serration pattern which I personally prefer (see pics below).

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:47 pm
Totally NOT a world shattering difference ;), but still something I noticed and prefer on the Millie 2:

The combo edge version appearantly leans more towards SE (has a higher percentage of SE (vs PE)) on the "2".
And of course offers the more "modern", mellower serration pattern which I personally prefer (see pics below).

The depth of the serration pattern should not be judged based on catalog pictures. Those are often photoshopped renderings and do not accurately represent the real world differences between actual serration patterns on the knife. As you probably know, serrations are ground into the blade with a shaped wheel that wears down overtime. This means that the first knives ground on that wheel will have a deeper serration grind than the last knives ground on that wheel.
-Nick :bug-red
chrisjohn

Post by chrisjohn »

And the partially serrated isn't available yet. Boo!

Can't what for CS orange Military 2.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Todays reveal has me wondering if the Millie 2 will have nested liners, or if it will be full liners like on the cruwear pm2.

The weight of the cruwear Millie 2 is listed as 122g, which is the same as the standard s30v Millie 2.This tells me the liners are nested, or the reveals weight is a typo.

Interesting.

Edit: never mind. The description for all 4 new models says skeletonized full stainless steel liners.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:32 pm
The description for all 4 new models says skeletonized full stainless steel liners.
👍

I'm still loving the M1, but will happily fork out the cash for the Crucarta and S90V M2's.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

First variations are in thanks to the new Reveal. S110 and Crucarta for standard production, CF/S90V sprint.

I’m buying the Crucarta as soon as it’s available at DLT. Add a Lynch clip and that is likely my perfect knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The new REVEAL certainly had a head turning Millie 2! Micarta, no less!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
rgc

Post by rgc »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:04 pm
First variations are in thanks to the new Reveal. S110 and Crucarta for standard production, CF/S90V sprint.

I’m buying the Crucarta as soon as it’s available at DLT. Add a Lynch clip and that is likely my perfect knife.
I wanted something else than S30v to try a Millie 2 and the Crucarta is just the ticket. Now will it replace my Millie in CTS-XHP is the question.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

The Millie 2 S90V/Carbon Fiber is described on the site as having a "subtle peel-ply texture for a secure grip". I'm not sure how much 'subtle' is.

The Caly 3.5 CF is very smooth, no texture. The Chaparral CF/G10 has a nice texture, but the description text doesn't describe that. The security there seems to come, not from the CF texture, but from the choil and liner shape. Given the Millie 2 has "liners nested within the scales" and not full like the Chaparral, I'm trying to guess what 'subtle' means in this context. The Native 5 Fluted CF is described as having a "subtle non-slip texture". The Bradley Folder 2 CF/G10 is described as "subtle texture" and has laminated scales similar to the Chaparral. Maybe it is like one of those. But, I haven't held the Fluted CF to know if that 'subtle' is the same as the Bradley (Chaparral?) 'subtle' or if they are different. I would guess fluted CF to have 'more' texture than the Chaparral, but it's still described as subtle. lol

Any guesses?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

🤔
pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

I think you’re looking closely at marketing terms as technical terms. I am curious too, though. I hope it’s like the texture of my CF-s90v chief