Chinook Collector

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
American1776

Chinook Collector

Post by American1776 »

I’ve been fortunate enough to track down two First Gen Chinooks, in NIB condition.

This has always been my favorite Spyderco, and back when they came out (over 20 years ago), I was a not-so-rich undergrad.

~20 years later, I am lucky enough to be in a position to collect them (even at their collectors premium).

Here are my two original Chinooks. I carry them often. (I also have a 3 and two copies of the 4).
Attachments
IMG_4113.jpeg
wrdwrght

Re: Chinook Collector

Post by wrdwrght »

I consider myself lucky to have a LNIB Chinook4. I consider you even luckier. One day I might be, too.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Apollo!! Apollo!!!

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Nice Chins. Wait till Apollo sees this thread!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Almost seems like i have bin summoned like the Candyman… :purple-devil :beaming-face

And OP nice twins you got there! :smiling-heart-eyes :smiling-heart-eyes :smiling-heart-eyes
Great to see someone that also needed to wait forever to catch a mythical OG Chinook. But i must say you got me beat i was lucky enough only to need 15 years before i found mine! :grin-sweat

Personally I’m still looking for a second one so i can start using this one more regularly and a bit harder then i do now.
But for now the heavy lifting will stay on my Chinook 2. And all of my Manixes… :smlling-eyes

Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

Many years ago, I bought a second-hand first model Chinook on the British Blades forum. I accidentally dropped it onto a little steel bin pedal bin below my writing desk and still have that bin, and sharp ding on the lid, to this day. It was one heavy-duty beast of a folding knife.

But, more to the point, one of my favourite knives today is the newer design Chinook with it's beefy Powerlock. I like the blade shape for everyday cutting and slicing (probably not it's original intention) and love the confidence it gives me from knowing that the Powerlock is superb.

It's maybe not my very favourite Spyderco, but it's definitely up there and easily in my all-time top 5 which I mentioned on another thread here recently.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
apollo

Post by apollo »

Roefisher wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:49 pm
Many years ago, I bought a second-hand first model Chinook on the British Blades forum. I accidentally dropped it onto a little steel bin pedal bin below my writing desk and still have that bin, and sharp ding on the lid, to this day. It was one heavy-duty beast of a folding knife.

But, more to the point, one of my favourite knives today is the newer design Chinook with it's beefy Powerlock. I like the blade shape for everyday cutting and slicing (probably not it's original intention) and love the confidence it gives me from knowing that the Powerlock is superb.

It's maybe not my very favourite Spyderco, but it's definitely up there and easily in my all-time top 5 which I mentioned on another thread here recently.

Mark
Thank god you did not drop it on you’re tow’s :winking-tongue
I personally only love the 2 original models because of there hollow grinds. (And there weight and locks :beaming-face )
Eventough i love FFG blades on my Manixes i find the Chinook a superb cutting tool in hollow grind.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Years ago at a show I handled the Chinook and had to pass since it was set up righty only . When the Chinook 2 came out immediately ordered one . Like Apollo I prefer the first two models , but I would not pass up a 4 mainly to try out the power lock and ergos . You have a nice pair of Spyderco history in that picture ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

No idea as to the current fair market value of these, but Knives Plus has both variations in the current Boss’s Collection.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I don't know what model mine is. Is it the 3 maybe? Has dino jimping and flat grind. I don't think it's anybody's favorite model. But it is monsterish. I have problems using big-belly blades so it has not been sharpened yet. Like everybody else (I suspect), I prefer the traditional Bowie look of the first Chinook. The original Chinook is prime material for a sprint, if you want my opinion.

Attachments
ChinookManix.JPG
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

These Chinook 1 and 4 knives look great. The Hundred Pacer was not too bad either.

I prefer the back locks over a liner lock. I prefer a steel better than S30V too.

The full flat grind of the Chinook 2 and 4 makes sense. I see the appeal in the grind on the model 1 but it is not a tall full length fixed blade. It is not a tall blade so the saber or hollow grind has less of a life than a full flat grind.
Last edited by Naperville on Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I only have the 1 and 4. I've never even seen a 2 or 3 for sale locally.

When I took them out to compare, I was surprised that the Hundred Pacer has an even taller and slightly longer blade than the Chinook 1.
chinook_pair_01.jpg
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:43 pm

When I took them out to compare, I was surprised that the Hundred Pacer has an even taller and slightly longer blade than the Chinook 1.
chinook_pair_01.jpg
I fixed my post!

The 2, 3 and 4 had full flat grinds.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
apollo

Post by apollo »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:49 pm
mikey177 wrote:

chinook_pair_01.jpg
I fixed my post!

I fear you’re still a bit off the Chinook 2 was hollow grind just as the Chinook 1 it only lost its iconic bowie style blade to the narrower blade with more of a hump above the spydie hole. On a side note this keeps on changing for some reason in every new generation if you look at the Chinook 4 it doesn’t even really have anything in common anymore in blade style or even handle style. :woozy
You can see the chinook 2 above in my last picture and also from the picture of our buddy Manixguy.
The full flat grind started from the chinook 3 and will still be in the upcoming chinook 5.
Sadly enough it wil not even be a backlock or even a powerlock anymore…
I even fear we will never see the powerlock again in the future. Altough i do wish to see it reappear in the future in some kind of new Manix.
Last edited by apollo on Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
apollo

Post by apollo »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:55 pm
I don't know what model mine is. Is it the 3 maybe? Has dino jimping and flat grind. I don't think it's anybody's favorite model. But it is monsterish. I have problems using big-belly blades so it has not been sharpened yet. Like everybody else (I suspect), I prefer the traditional Bowie look of the first Chinook. The original Chinook is prime material for a sprint, if you want my opinion.

Hi Bolster you’re Chinook is indeed the Chinook 3. Good looking combo you have there! ;)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:55 pm

Hi Bolster I have similar combo , only mine is is a 2 and XL is first run without a spider on blade . We do have identical stocking hats ! :squinting-tongue Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

apollo wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:49 am
Naperville wrote:
mikey177 wrote:

chinook_pair_01.jpg
I fixed my post!

I fear you’re still a bit off the Chinook 2 was hollow grind just as the Chinook 1 it only lost its iconic bowie style blade to the narrower blade with more of a hump above the spydie hole. On a side note this keeps on changing for some reason in every new generation if you look at the Chinook 4 it doesn’t even really have anything in common anymore in blade style or even handle style. :woozy
You can see the chinook 2 above in my last picture and also from the picture of our buddy Manixguy.
The full flat grind started from the chinook 3 and will still be in the upcoming chinook 5.
I even fear we will never see the powerlock again in the future. Altough i do wish to see it reappear in the future in some kind of new Manix.
Thanks for the correction!

I don't own any but want one. Hope that the new model is not a liner lock. :squinting-tongue
brancron

Post by brancron »

I'm a latecomer to the Chinook party; just got my first one (a 4) the other day, and I love it!

apollo

Post by apollo »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:48 am
apollo wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:49 am
Naperville wrote:
mikey177 wrote:

chinook_pair_01.jpg
I fixed my post!

Thanks for the correction!

I don't own any but want one. Hope that the new model is not a liner lock. :squinting-tongue
No problem buddy and the 5 will be a compression lock. Now i do love the lock on my Shamans but i find it kinda over the top to change a fine lockback design to yet another compression lock while the powerlock is an awesome invention that isnt used anymore.

But i hope you find a chinook ( doesnt mather what gen ) one day it is maybe not the most perfect edc blade but it does put a smile on you're face while using it.
And the big belly needs a bit getting used to while cutting but you will get the hang of it in no time.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:09 am
Hi Bolster I have similar combo , only mine is is a 2 and XL is first run without a spider on blade . We do have identical stocking hats ! :squinting-tongue Dan

Obviously, we are a couple of geniuses.