Linerless Chaparral LW and More Colors

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Linerless Chaparral LW and More Colors

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:41 pm
I’m wondering whether the mooted Chap Slipjoint might suffice?
Well, I can see how that would work for you, given the laws. I am always open to a good slip joint.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

There are some good ideas popping in this thread, so far. What I suspect is that Sal and Co are way ahead of our thinking. The reason I say this is that he's been on the forum and hasn't said anything.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
arty

Post by arty »

I have the original Chaparral (with S30V) and it sits in my pocket right now - without the clip. It weighs only 67 grams. Personally, I don’t see a great need for a lighter Chaparral, let alone one without liners. I prefer liners in my pocket knives.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

The Chaparral already weighs less than 12 quarters with the liners, given that you'd need to add more FRN (maybe make it about as thick as the UKPK) to guarantee structural integrity, I really think the real question is if people want a more hand-filling Chaparral, after all, the Sage 4 has since been discontinued which likely filled at least some of that role.

I've mentioned in the past that I'd love to see a Chaparral with the UKPK-style texture since its kinder to my jean pockets and easier to remove compared to the grippy FRN pattern that is already used, and as someone who deals with eczema, the UKPK-style texture is just friendlier to my hand in general, but it still seems like such a niche item.

I would also not be opposed to more colors, but a G10 option would also make sense too IMO.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'd like a lighter Chap, if possible. For its size it's not particularly light. I realize not everybody is into ultralight but it has become almost a philosophy for me, to not carry more weight than I have to. (And yes this applies to my body weight too!)

If liners are integral to the design, what about lighter liners...ti, perhaps? Aluminum spring holder?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I don't really need more Chaparrals, but I'd definitely be interested in a lighter one, especially if it were a Salt. The Chap is the smallest knife I find useful (and I find it very useful), and I'd love to have a Chap that was closer in weight to the Dragonfly, which I seldom carry because the handle size and shape don't work well for me.

I'm already satisfied with the FRN's color but, while we're talking about Chaparrals, I'd like to vote for more handle materials, rather than fewer! Titanium is long gone, and now the Sun & Moon is discontinued. I guess the carbon fiber handle is history, too. What about another wood, like koa or pau ferro? How about smooth G-10? Ultem? Shell?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:36 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:24 am
Would this replace the current Chaparral LW?....

In a way though, this would kind of live up to the original premise of the Chaparral series. It would be a completely different type of FRN handle from the current one. The current Chaparral LW showcased FRN scales with liners and a steel backspacer. This proposed new Chaparral LW would do away with those showcase something like an integral FRN handle or skeletonized two piece FRN handle.

I actually would hate to see he current Chap "LW" get replaced!
(LW in quotes, cause, as said, yes it is pretty light (same weight as an H1 Salt 2, lighter than Delica, Para 3 LW, Native LW, ...) but really not built like a typical lightweight and probably even rather "heavy" for its 3 D footprint)

To me personally that rigid, bombproof, "heavy" in a good way feel in hand while still wielding a real slicing machine is what my Chap is all about.
And weightwise? Well, it was my running knife for quite a while, and 2.1 oz in a superslim package is really not bad carried iwb.

But, I love your and probably also Docs approach of making another version that actually would stay in line with the "original premise of the Chaparral series" and offered a linerless, even lighter handle!

Perhaps it could be made in FRCP, (yes, Doc, then also regarding this like the Manix 2 LW - though I don´t know if they´d do FRCP in Taichung?) so it would really be another material too (so we´d have a Chap FRN lightweight and a Chap FRCP REALLY lightweight... ;) )

And you are right of course: This would make it easier to do a Salt version too.
Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t want the current FRN Chaparral to be replaced either. I personally think creating a new linerless FRN Chaparral is completely unnecessary and would mostly be a waste of Spyderco’s time and resources. I was just playing my own devils advocate so my post didn't come off as so dismissive.

Even if it was for a Chaparral Salt, I’m not in favor of that either. I’ve said it before and it’s often misconstrued but in my opinion a Chaparral Salt would abandon the integrity of the Chaparral Series. I know Sal has said the Chaparral FRN was introduced as an opportunity to offer more variations but I would still rather see the Chaparral maintain it’s commitment to control and only showcasing different handle materials.
-Nick :bug-red
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Change nothing, scales orange
Matus

Post by Matus »

Chaparral ist not going to change in design - that is pretty much set for me, because it would have to be a lot more successful than it apparently is (the carbon/g10 version was discontinued). But if the LW Chap was introduced to allow for more color options ... why have we not seen any?

Also, Salt chap is also most certainly not going to happen. Again - too much invest into a model that apparently does not sell all that well (undeserved, but true)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm still waiting to get the current model, and I think I would get a lighter one also. More colors and serrated would be great.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’m so confused. Who has ever picked up a Chaparral and wished it was lighter? In what way would that 0.9 oz difference ever matter to anyone?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:38 pm
I’m so confused. Who has ever picked up a Chaparral and wished it was lighter? In what way would that 0.9 oz difference ever matter to anyone?

First and foremost; I get what you mean - as said, the Chap FRN is pretty light already with its 2.12 oz / 60 grams

That said: I also understand the wish for an even lighter version.

- If we go by the percentagewise "weight loss" from the linered Delica to the "linerless Delica" Salt 2 or from the linered Endura (96 gram / 3.4 oz) to the "linerless Endura" Pac Salt 2 (72 gram / 2.6 oz (in ffg) ) we´re talking about around 25 % lighter

- If we assume that a linerless Chap would loose the same percentage of weight it would come in at 45 gram / 1.59 oz (currrent Chap FRN 60 gram / 2.12 oz).
(I am still not entirely sure though that the Chap could be made linerless without making the FRN scales thicker and heavier.
On the other hand it has a steel back spacer which perhaps be replaced by an FRN one if weight saving is the goal).

- 45 gram would be crazy light and compete in the "ultralight knife market"
The BM Mini Bugout weighs in at 42 gram / 1.48 oz) - and shows that such a market does exist indeed.

- There is that ultralight hiking crowd, and I have to say as a climber and mountaineer I also tend to grab the lighter piece of gear if I don´t loose functionality (when going into the mountains) and this is a habit of about any mountaineer I know.
As a matter of fact a Salt 2 really FEELS lighter than a Delica and a Pac alt lighter than an Endura, especially when carried in loose, floppy, thin garment pockets, which can be nice (in use and in more urban scenarios I do prefer the feel and balance in hand of Delica / Endura though).

- I get that many will ask "In what way will that weight difference matter to anyone?" and in many scenarios I would do so too.
But: We are discussing on a very high and detailed level here . and so if (low) weight is a preference for someone, 25 % lighter IS something.
Otherwise one could also ask " in what way does it matter to anyone if a knife comes in S30V or S35VN? "... has an edge angle of 15 or 17 per side?"... "...is even more rustproof than VG10 is anyway already?".. "... has G10 or FRN handles?" and so on.

PLUS, unrelated directly to weight(loss):
A linerless version, as soon as the molds existed, would be more cost efficient in production and easier to be made rustproof.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:38 pm

May I introduce you to ultralight backpacking, where crazies like me spend big bux to drop an ounce here or there. Why? "Because it adds up." Fortunately, Spyderco offers a number of sub 2 oz knives. If you think lightweight is completely nutz, contemplate the wild success of the Bugout, whose raison d'etre is light weight.

There's a market for lightweight knives and the OP's request is not as radical as a lot of you make it sound. Consider that Spyderco made the Bradley Air at one point, 1.2 oz, and nobody was offended by it, no national emergency ensued, and no lives were lost. Actually, a lot of people liked the knife and it has become something of a grail for many. I purchased one and it's not for sale! I love it.

As I read it, the Doc is merely suggesting a version of the Chap that follows more in the lightweight tradition of the Air or the Salt or the Lil Native LW or the Caly Jr FRN.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

That's about it. I don't carry a purse. Everything has to fit into my pockets and iPhones have gotten heavier with the inclusion of a good cover. I don't want to overburden my pockets and back pockets are not for use because of the crime rate. Plus, clothes are lighter in weight in this hot tropical environment.

I don't hike and camp any longer, but if I did, I would want the lightest yet strongest knife in the size range. Since the Chaparral exists to showcase handle designs, not just materials alone, this would be in keeping with its philosophy, I believe, and be eminently practical.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Matus

Post by Matus »

First thoughts I had when I picked up the LW chap was … smooth - nice! … the edge could have been even thinner… the back lock is not that hard to push … the handle is really thin … boy, the FRN is aggressive.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:36 pm
It should be possible, and even desirable to make the Chaparral linerless and that light in weight. It would be the ultimate locking pocket knife and better than that other brand's small light weight knife….

Also, It would be nice to have colors of FRN scales to choose from….
Anyway, that's my 2¢ worth.
Oooh that idea gives me butterflies in my tummy but there is no reason to bugout 😏

I agree that a linerless chap would be an upgrade to the platform. The chap already is a great easy to carry knife. It is small enough to carry around non knife folk who may get scared of larger knives while also having a design that allows a solid grip on the knife for precision thanks to the choil and spine shape.

A linerless chap would be a perfect ultra light easy to carry pocket knife.

I find that I prefer to use my linerless folders more often than not because they are less prone to collecting dust or rust inside of them. I don’t take apart my knives so linerless knives are easier to maintain.

I would love to see a linerless chap in some high visibility color options like light blue, orange, yellow, neon green etc. It would be hard not to carry something that efficient .
Just one more knife...
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I propose that the Caly Jr. is about as close as you can get to a linerless Chaparral. Phenomenal knife, IMO. Weighs a little less than a Chap and has a little more blade. Came in black, grey, and burgundy, IIRC.

Attachments
Caly Jr Jimped 2.jpg
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I know there’s ultralight nutters that care about this but let’s be real, this isn’t a backpacking knife.

I don’t really understand Doc’s explanation. You can’t feel the weight of a short 2oz knife clipped on your pocket. Longer knives bounce around a bit more and you feel their weight. It’s more about the motion than the actual weight. Clip a 5oz knife in your waistband and it disappears weight wise. Put a 2oz knife at the bottom of your pocket (unclipped) and you’ll feel it all day in lightweight shorts.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Netherend wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:35 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:36 pm
It should be possible, and even desirable to make the Chaparral linerless and that light in weight. It would be the ultimate locking pocket knife and better than that other brand's small light weight knife….

Also, It would be nice to have colors of FRN scales to choose from….
Anyway, that's my 2¢ worth.
Oooh that idea gives me butterflies in my tummy but there is no reason to bugout 😏

I agree that a linerless chap would be an upgrade to the platform. The chap already is a great easy to carry knife. It is small enough to carry around non knife folk who may get scared of larger knives while also having a design that allows a solid grip on the knife for precision thanks to the choil and spine shape.

A linerless chap would be a perfect ultra light easy to carry pocket knife.

I find that I prefer to use my linerless folders more often than not because they are less prone to collecting dust or rust inside of them. I don’t take apart my knives so linerless knives are easier to maintain.

I would love to see a linerless chap in some high visibility color options like light blue, orange, yellow, neon green etc. It would be hard not to carry something that efficient .
I completely agree.

Color options would be nice. A light blue would be non threatening, but patriot blue would be nice, too. Oh, and let's not forget Coyote.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
arty

Post by arty »

I know it is apples and oranges, but I would like to see another run of the sprint Michael Walker liner lock. The blade has about the same cutting edge length as the Chaparral and mine weighs only 51 grams (without clip). It has a liner on one side, but the CF makes for a rigid handle. When the Chaparral is not in my pocket, and I want a small knife (most of the time) the Walker is there.