Next Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikey177

Re: Next Spyderco?

Post by mikey177 »

Welcome to the forum.

If you want a framelock Salt, you might consider the Spydiechef, although it costs a bit more than an FRN backlock Salt.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:15 pm
Welcome to the Forum!

So many good options to try.
Look and see if you have a brick and mortar close to you. Sometimes designs fool you until you get them in hand.
https://www.spyderco.com/resources/dealer-locator/
Excellent advice Jeff ! I can't even imagine a shop where you can hold Spydercos, in my culture we call that Paradise ! :squinting-tongue

There's some in France, but ones that carry Spyderco are far, far away and rare :grin-smiling-eyes
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:21 pm
But now that I actually bought it, I might just end up buying the Nishijin version :winking-tongue :rofl . I just need to check if it is Damasteel or Damascus.

I have little to no interest in Damascus, but Damasteel intrigues me.
What’s the difference?

In the knife description, it is described as:

D.P.S. 15 Damascus steel. … consists of a VG-10 stainless steel core sandwiched between two outer billets of Damascus, each composed of 15 layers of forget-welded steel.

How does that fit with what you were expecting? I'm not quite sure what it is and am hoping to learn more about this one in particular, but also about how Spyderco does Damascus.

Thanks.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:58 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:21 pm
But now that I actually bought it, I might just end up buying the Nishijin version :winking-tongue :rofl . I just need to check if it is Damasteel or Damascus.

I have little to no interest in Damascus, but Damasteel intrigues me.
What’s the difference?

In the knife description, it is described as:

D.P.S. 15 Damascus steel. … consists of a VG-10 stainless steel core sandwiched between two outer billets of Damascus, each composed of 15 layers of forget-welded steel.

How does that fit with what you were expecting? I'm not quite sure what it is and am hoping to learn more about this one in particular, but also about how Spyderco does Damascus.

Thanks.
Yes I don't know why I wrote this before checking the description of the knife. This means this damascus is not Damasteel or Damacore, since these two particular "nuances" of Damascus steels are only produced by the Damasteel brand. Damasteel is powder metallurgy damascus.

Means that for me, the handle of this future Stretch 2 XL is really interesting, but I would not really want to use that blade. I know this kind of Damascus is perfectly fine, but it's not new to me, so getting a variation of a knife I already own in a steel I already know is not as exciting !

Here's an article from Dr. Larrin Thomas that reahttps://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/10/15/damasteel-n11x-and-damacore-dc18n/ that I found extremely informative about Damasteel and Damacore
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Thanks, Ramonade, for the link. I’ll take a read and learn a bit more. I’m still interested in this one. As you mentioned, the handle is interesting. And, I only have one other Damascus so far and it’s not a Spyderco.
Stas

Post by Stas »

#2 Sharpmaker ;)
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum, Tim! :smlling-eyes

My 2c:

- Definitely get a serrated Spydie for number 2 or 3. For me personally a good spyderedge beats PE in almost any task, is a bit quicker and easier to sharpen (at least, but not only, with a sharpmaker), stays sharp longer and will still "cut" when technically already dull (unlike PE).
So if you go for that Native: SE in my book.
I personally would much rather take a Salt 2 SE, Endela SE, Stretch XL lightweight SE over the Native though.

- If you don´t have sharpening gear you really like yet: I second the recommendation of getting a Sharpmaker for Nr 2 or 3.

- Though available just in PE: Also second the recommendation of the Chaparral for a small knife: Both great office carry and also capable for harder use (extremely sturdily built, extremely solid backlock, pretty unique (for Spyderco) 2mm ffg blade stock)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:17 pm

My 2c:

- Definitely get a serrated Spydie for number 2 or 3. For me personally a good spyderedge beats PE in almost any task, is a bit quicker and easier to sharpen (at least, but not only, with a sharpmaker), stays sharp longer and will still "cut" when technically already dull (unlike PE).
Thanks for the welcome and the info.

I already have a SharpMaker, though I’m thinking of adding a WorkSharp Pro PA for a bit more precision on my PE blades.

My #2 will be the Nishijin once it’s available. though I already added a #4. lol have already ordered the Chaparral (4) and Native 5 Salt PE MagnaCut (3), but I have two Salt SE on my wishlist. I’m guessing I may be adding even more Spydercos.

I know the SE would be better for tough, fibrous material, lines, plants, etc. I don’t do much cutting of that type of material right now unless it’s a tough steak. lol That’s why I’m starting with PE. I also don’t have enough volume of cutting to worry much about cutting while dull. Are there other use cases I should consider? My desk job from home (software dev) doesn’t need much cutting. I still want to get some SE though just to get some experience with them.

Thanks again
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TimButterfield wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:26 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:17 pm

I know the SE would be better for tough, fibrous material, lines, plants, etc. I don’t do much cutting of that type of material right now unless it’s a tough steak. lol That’s why I’m starting with PE. I also don’t have enough volume of cutting to worry much about cutting while dull. Are there other use cases I should consider? ...

In my experience, yes, SE is definitely better for cutting the materials you listed.

But absolutely not just there, but in my use better for MOST materials. This does not necessarily have to be due exclusively to the teeth themselves, but could also be partly cause of the steep SE (chisel) grind (so SE normally has a much more acute edge angle from the factory then PE)

Here are two great threads about SE you might want to check out (both started by David / Evil D):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84985

viewtopic.php?t=85045#p1366199

But keep in mind:

Though I am definitely not alone in preferring SE over PE in almost any folder task, there are a lot of experienced folks who really know what they are talking about and still prefer PE!

Just one example: Vivi, who actually came from SE, but now is preferring coarse grit PE and really has good points for that and a ton of experience. See this thread for example viewtopic.php?t=85096#p1368196
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Wow, thanks Warty! That was a rabbit hole. 😂 I’m halfway through the 32 pages of the first thread. I’ll finish the rest later.

From what I have read so far, I think I will go ahead and get an ffg SE to try out. It’s a bit strange to think of a factory edge requiring a reprofile, but a least I already have the SM with diamond rods just in case. It was interesting learning about the shallow vs deeper profiles and the profile variability due to wheel wear changing diameter.

Since I’m not doing the fibrous material cutting, I will probably start with a more general purpose shallow SE like the Caribbean you recommended in one post. That would also give me a backup Salt until I’m ready for a toothier, more snaggy, SE.

I don’t even have my first Spyderco in hand yet and already have a small collection in process. 🙄😂

Thanks again.
Hydrashok

Post by Hydrashok »

TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:23 pm
Hello everyone. Thanks for all of the threads on the forum. I've been lurking and learning for just a bit, recently here, but over on BF also.

My first Spyderco should arrive soon (PM2 Cru-wear/G10), but I'm already thinking about the next one. I bought the PM2 because I wanted to try the compression lock. The compression lock will be interesting as will the Spydie hole. I've played with different lock types from other brands and seem to have a preference for frame, liner, and back type locks over button and cross-bar locks. I also have some slip joints for something a bit more traditional.

I've been looking at the upcoming releases and saw one that was interesting, but didn't seem to be discussed much. It's the Stretch 2 XL with Damascus and Blue Nishijin scales. I thought of getting this once available, but wonder if it is considered 'too pretty to use' and should only be a collector item. I prefer users, even pretty ones. If I remember reading the forum threads correctly, this may be Sal's favorite size/model. Is there a reason this one should not be a user?

In addition to that one, I'm also looking at getting a Salt variant for a trip to the beach.

For a bit on intended use case: I could carry a smaller sized knife in a pocket, something like a Buck 501, small CRK Sabenza, SAK Cadet, or similar/smaller. For a larger knife, I would probably carry it in my bag. I don't mind pocket clips, but don't really use them. I have a desk job, so my knives are not used for my work nor are they really worked hard very often. For me, knives are fun, useful tools I like to have around. I use them mainly to open packages, cut food, etc. I rotate my daily carry and sometimes collect them.

So, my beginner collection of 3 Spyderco knives would be:
  • PM2 Cru-wear/G10
  • knife #2 ???
  • knife #3 - Salt ???
To broaden my experience with Spyderco, what would you recommend I get for #2 and #3?

Thanks for all advice.
Personally for a salt knife I would recommend the pac salt 2 or Atlantic salt if you like the size of the pm2, I own a Atlantic salt and love it, I find myself carrying it over my crucarta pm2 just because it’s so dang light, not everyone likes the Atlantic salt because of the sheepsfoot blade and how it looks (personally I love it) but it feels super good in hand, the lack of steel liners make it a featherweight for the blade size, and lc200n is great, not amazing for edge retention especially when doing heavy cutting, but it sharpens easy, is tough, and I’d be impressed if you got it to rust. The pac salt is going to be a bit bigger 3.8” ish blade I believe, no finger choil, but has a 4way clip and much more traditional spyderco styling, the Atlantic salt is just that sweet spot size for me, pretty close to a pm2, Endela, or manix 2.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Thanks, Hydrashok. I like the idea of those Salt you mentioned and will likely end up with one. A couple are already on my wishlist. However, after reviewing most of the SE thread Warstein mentioned, I decided to go with a less toothy/snaggy SE as my first. I'm not quite ready to do a reprofile on my SM to make them less toothy. Instead, I've ordered a Carribean SE Leaf as my first SE. It will give me an exposure to a milder SE along with the LC200N steel. If I get to gardening or boating again, I'll probably want a toothier SE as on some other Salts.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Just to update the helpful folks here, my originally intention of 3 to start has exploded quite a bit. First there was the #4 from this thread. Now, I've made more additions thanks to a post by mikey177 in the Crazy Good Deals thread. It was too good of a deal. I couldn't resist the 40% off and added 6 more. ( :shush Don't tell my wife.) Included in this group are samples of both the Atlantic and Pacific Salt SEs. And, even though I don't usually care for the lock type much, I'm trying a Manix to see how this version is. I'm also trying a K390 Warnie Endela (before it disappears), a Native Chief, and a Caly 3.5. My #2 isn't even available yet, but my wallet is well and truly busted for a while. But, I will have quite a few Spyderco to help me get familiar with more of the range.

Thanks again, everyone.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Just thought I would post an update. Other than the Stretch Nishijin which is not yet available, I have my first three in hand.
I like the PM2 and compression lock, but am super impressed by the Chaparral. What an awesome little knife!

The remainder of my first dozen Spyderco folders will be in hand relatively soon. In addition to that, there's also the counter puppy, counter critter, and Z-cut for the kitchen to give my wife some experience with a decent blade. :winking-tongue
Flash

Post by Flash »

Either a Watu or Native 5 in magnacut once they become available again. Feeling the Kapara too though. Decisions….
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

While the Native 5 Salt Magnacut in my photo is PlainEdge, I've see the Magnacut SpyderEdge as currently available at national. (I only checked there as that's where I got my PlainEdge version.)

Edit: Just checked, it is available at CS.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Just to complete my first set as discussed above, this is the remains of purchasing my first three Spyderco. My first set of three Spyderco = 13. I think my math is off. :rofl

The first three to arrive were these:
  • Chaparral XHP Carbon Fiber/G10
  • Native 5 Salt MagnaCut FRN
  • Para Military 2 G10 Purple Cru-Wear
Of these, my favorite is the Chaparral, though I also like the fidget friendliness of the PM2.

Today, I received this set:
  • Delica 4 Gray-Blue Zome Super Blue
  • Lil' Temperance 3 Lightweight VG-10
  • Caly 3.5 CLIPIT Carbon Fiber ZDP 189
  • Endela Lightweight Wharncliffe K390
  • Manix 2 Lightweight FRCP Black
  • Caribbean LC200N G10 Black/Yellow
  • Atlantic Salt Green LC200N
  • Pacific Salt 2 FRN Green LC200N
  • Endura 4 FRN K390
  • Native Chief Brown G-10 M390
Now, I just need to use them to see which design aspects I prefer. I tried to get a blend of different things to experiment with.

Other than the Stretch 2 XL Nishijin that is not yet available, I think I might be done for a little while. This might provide me with a fairly nice cross-section of what Spyderco has to offer. But, just in case, did I miss anything I really should consider? If so, what would it be and what might it have that is different than these?

Thanks again, everyone.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Jumping in with both feet! I dig it!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
vivi

Post by vivi »

Great selection of modern Spyderco folders. The Chief is my favorite folder design from them while the Pacific Salt is my most carried folder from Spyderco.

It'll be interesting seeing which model you end up carrying most between now and new years.
TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:34 am
But, just in case, did I miss anything I really should consider? If so, what would it be and what might it have that is different than these?
kitchen knives ;) and fixed blades in general.

I'd recommend looking at a zcut, bow river and street beat.

edit: just saw your other post that you have some kitchen knives and sharpening stones coming. So I'd say check out the bow river, street beat and street bowie and see if those do anything for you.
:unicorn
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Thanks, vivi. I took a look at what you mentioned. The Bow River is probably the most interesting shape to me of those. Unfortunately, I rarely use a fixed blade as I don't hunt, fish, or even camp much right now and my job is at a desk. So, it has been just a few picnics where I might use one (outside of home). I have three other fixed blades (a Helle and a couple of Bucks), but have only taken them out three times this year. Thus, the part of my collection I use is almost entirely folders. I'm hoping another move or two may let me change up my usage patterns a bit.

My wife is quite frugal when it comes to kitchen utensils. I'm trying to wean her into some decent blades with these three. The Counter Critter, Counter Puppy, and Z-Cut arrived today also. I just didn't include them in the other photo. I'm hoping she will get to appreciate these so I can upgrade to some real knives for the kitchen.

I'm curious also as to whether any of the new ones will beat out the Chaparral as a favorite and which others may fill in the top 5 as discussed in the other thread. More time in hand will help me to know.