Native 5 or Delica 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wandering_About

Re: Native 5 or Delica 4

Post by Wandering_About »

Both are good. I started out with a Delica, but have lately developed a preference for the Native.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Yes…

Seriously though, they are both awesome knives.

Native feels like it can take harder use than the delica . It is one of the most comfortable knives I have ever used and it comes in Magnacut these days! The lock is rock solid.

The Delica feels like it will absolutely stand up to the same use as Native 5 and be fine. It also has a super thin blade that zips through everything. The standard frn(with liners) model feels more refine than the lightweight native but not as classy as the g10 native.

They both come in a variety of great steels so be sure to buy several in more than one steel. 😉
Just one more knife...
anycal

Post by anycal »

G10 Native 5 would be my vote.

They are both great knives in this size. It really comes down to what fits your hand better.

I have had bad luck with lock rock from Japanese back lock knives. No such issue with the Native - had 6; still have 4.

Good luck.

Peter
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think like Dan said it is best to try to find a place that has them in stock and hold them. If you are fortunate enough to live close to a store. The Delica is going to cut through thicker material easier with its thinner blade stock. I don't prefer the extra curvature at the front of the Delica handle. Feels like it is forcing my hand off the handle towards the back. It's bigger brothers don't have this issue because they have less curve at the front and more handle space to grip. The Native with it choil to me feels more secure in hand. Smaller knives with a choil generally feel more secure if your hand is leaning towards the larger side.

The Delica has some great exclusives still available. Blade HQ has an M4 version at a great price, and Knife Joy has a 20CV version at a great price.

Of the more readily available models I would seriously give the Sage a look. I feel it is the more comfortable in that size category for my personal taste. Of the not so readily available and a little pricier, the Caly series is incredibly comfortable and folds up into a nice small package.

Good luck and come back to this thread after you make a decision.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Between those two, for me: Delica every time

u.w.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

It depends on what I’m going to be doing.

For work, the Native 5 LW’s just sit in the hand a little bit better while you’re manipulating mat’l with your hands and maybe didn’t put the knife down. With the Delica, you have to watch out to keep your hand off the blade while using your fingers, if that makes sense. The Native just stays out of the way a lot better. In fact, I’ve tried to get my fingers on the blade some, just to figure out why this is. Whatever the reason, no matter how you hold the dang thing, it really takes some doing to get your hand on the blade in a way that will cut you. So, for that kind of stuff, and I do a bunch of stuff like that; it’s the Native all the way. I haven’t had the pleasure of using a standard, linered, Native 5 up until this point, hopefully in the future.

Now the Delica.. such a great slicer and not just a slicer, but, an accurate slicer. The blade goes exactly where I want it to. It makes getting the cut sooo easy. It’s impressive. It also tucks away in a pocket a good deal better than the Native. The standard drop point is excellent. The Wharnie is downright stellar, if not as versatile.

This is a tough choice which is why I have multiples of both these knives. I like ‘em both a lot.

If I had a gun held to my head I’d go with the Delica. Been using that knife for a long time, never had a problem with durabilty, or reliability, and, if a knifes purpose is to cut stuff; the Delica is a better cutter.

But, again, it all comes down to personal preference, how it fits in your hand, etc., the intangibles, iow.

Good luck with your choice. It’s a tough one. You really can’t go wrong, in the end.
Last edited by jwbnyc on Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Two of my favorites, but if I had to choose one, I'd say Native.
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

Another vote for the native here.
Attachments
native5.jpg
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Netherend wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:42 pm
and it comes in Magnacut these days!
😂😂😂😂 good luck finding a magna native these days. I've tried, can't find any.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

DLT Trading.

Both edges.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:17 am
Netherend wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:42 pm
and it comes in Magnacut these days!
😂😂😂😂 good luck finding a magna native these days. I've tried, can't find any.
I got lucky and picked up a plain edge Magnacut native 5 from DLT. Great knife. Mine took a dip in the pool with me yesterday.
IMG_4238-compressed.jpeg
Just one more knife...
ImHereForTheMilitary2

jwbnyc wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:33 am
DLT Trading.

Both edges.
You're right! My bad, I saw the yellow handle and thought it was H1 and there was no magnacut in the description, do I scrolled right past it. Thx for pointing that out! Gonna pick one up on Friday
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Shocker, we're all shocked.

Both are nice knives, but quite different in hand. I agree, if given the opportunity to handle both or either one in person, would help you greatly in making your decision. I personally like the Delica more. Thinner blade, more edge, less bulk, much cheaper in price.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

I have the Native 5 frn in Spy27 and the Delica 4 frn in K390. Like them both. The Native has a lockup like a bank vault and feels like a fb with no movement. The round radius of the Delica has a much better feel in hand.

However the Dragonfly frn in K390 is the absolute finest folder ever made to this point in time and weights 1.12 oz. I’d be lax if I didn’t point this out. I’ve hiked extensively and experimented with it in the kitchen even cutting the backbone out of a chicken and totally processing it, pared veggies and fruits and carved wood. Haven’t had a microchip or roll. Tough steel that eerily holds an edge. In hand it has an awesomeness that can hardly be explained. In my humble opinion you can’t go wrong with a Native or a Delica but if you don’t have a Dragonfly in K390 it’s quite possible you ain’t got diddly squat. :) This seemingly forgotten masterpiece is so underrated.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Ryder wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:05 pm
I have the Native 5 frn in Spy27 and the Delica 4 frn in K390. Like them both. The Native has a lockup like a bank vault and feels like a fb with no movement. The round radius of the Delica has a much better feel in hand.

However the Dragonfly frn in K390 is the absolute finest folder ever made to this point in time and weights 1.12 oz. I’d be lax if I didn’t point this out. I’ve hiked extensively and experimented with it in the kitchen even cutting the backbone out of a chicken and totally processing it, pared veggies and fruits and carved wood. Haven’t had a microchip or roll. Tough steel that eerily holds an edge. In hand it has an awesomeness that can hardly be explained. In my humble opinion you can’t go wrong with a Native or a Delica but if you don’t have a Dragonfly in K390 it’s quite possible you ain’t got diddly squat. :) This seemingly forgotten masterpiece is so underrated.
I keep hearing about the dragonfly. Maybe I'll buy one just to annoy some people here
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Ryder wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:05 pm

If you think the dragonfly is underrated you don’t know underrated.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

jhall100 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:20 pm
Which one do you guys like best between the Native and Delica? I’m trying to decide between the two

Personally, I prefer the Native 5. But they're so similar that you might need to refine your criteria. It's the same for knives, wives, and cars you drive. If you can't decide, choose the prettiest.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Native5, really any iteration.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

jhall100 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:20 pm
Which one do you guys like best between the Native and Delica? I’m trying to decide between the two both have the same Steel so that is not a factor. The knife would be used for edc tasks.
Can't go wrong with either, they're both proven designs that have undergone multiple iterations. I've used both models as EDC & work folders, and would readily recommend them to anyone looking for a good, reliable knife.

Some notable differences off the top of my head (assuming you are getting versions in the same steel):
  • The Delica 4 is a lot easier to carry in-pocket due to its narrower general profile when closed. This is why I tend to carry the Delica 4 over the Native 5 for EDC purposes (that is, if I'm just looking to carry a cutting tool for the eventuality that I might need it).
  • The Delica 4 (in full flat grind) is "slicier" due to its thinner blade.
  • The Delica 4 is easier to replace due to its lower price (at least if we're comparing base models).
  • The Delica 4 has a dull-blade trainer version, which could be important if you are interested in training in a knife-based system.
  • If being discreet with your knife carry is important to you, the Delica 4's standard black pocket clip may make a difference. The standard Native 5 pocket clip has a shiny finish.
  • If you are looking to customize your knife, note that the Lightweight version of the Native 5 features a different screw hole pattern from that of the Native 5 in G10 & the Delica 4. This pattern may or may not be 100% compatible with certain aftermarket pocket clips.
  • The Native 5 fits my hand better & feels more comfortable when cutting for extended periods of time due to its taller handle. However, you may have differently-sized hands and different biomechanics, so this may not apply to your case.
  • The Native 5 (especially the Lightweight version) is a whole lot easier to take apart & reassemble.
  • Generally, I find that the Native 5 has better/more consistent fit & finish, although I have to say I have never had any real QC issues with any of my Delicas.
  • The Native 5 looks "better", but that is a purely subjective opinion.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Must say, pretty cool to see the diversity in preference between the two models. Appreciate seeing some of the posts that went into deep detail. Hard to miss with either, just certain small details can make all the difference.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick