Straight Razor from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stuart Ackerman

Re: Straight Razor from Spyderco

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Christian Straw Bale... :}
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Here are some more pictures of working cowboys. Notice that most are clean shaven, using a straight razor, even on a cattle drive. Beards were seen, but think about this: On a cattle drive, there are lots of dust, manure, flies, and blown leaves and grass that would get into a beard and be hard to clean out. Mustaches were common, but otherwise, unlike the Hollywood reinvention of history, cowboys were mainly clean shaven except for a mustache.

The top picture is from the 1860s and the bottom from sometime later, maybe 1880s.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Matus

Post by Matus »

I have aparently ignored this thread far too long! I was one of the sceptical voices, but reading on what approach Spyderco has selected - I am now really interested.

I am not quite sure what kind of documentation is being put together. I would only like to mention, that very most of Spyderco knife users are unlikely to either have the proper sharpening equipemnt (CBN Rods really would not be a good idea), not experience. Both can obviously be acquired, but it is going to be neither cheap, nor easy. I would not want to dissuade anyone - quite the opposite! - but one should be prepared for paying a few hundred $/€ for the sharpening supplies and then have the patience to learn.

I personally have found it highly non trivial to put a good (enough) edge on a straight razor (I have a few). Also - as someone with a fairly thick facial hair, the shaving never was particularly smooth, though some shavings were better than the others. I guess I need get back to it again (it faded away when we were moving)

WIth all that said ... at the modern day and age where everything is digital and automatic - honing a razor is like a meditation and shaving with it is like connecting with some deeper inner-self ... :p
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

In the booklet I wrote for Spyderco I explain that there is no need to spend a lot of money on stones and whatnot to hone a straight razor, nor is it complicated. I explain that lapping film will give as good or better of an edge for pennies. I also explain a step by step method of using it that anyone can follow to put an excellent edge on a straight razor.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

While we are waiting on the Spyderco Straight Razor, I off this eye candy.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

Frst of all I'd like to thank you for your efforts on the book. We are working with it. The project is on temporary hold while we deal with a multitude of other problems dealing with the expansion. Once we get our "ducks in a row", we'll move forward on the project. Probably will begin with the Australian maker.

sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Thats very interesting to hear. Will that technically add a new country to Spyderco’s list of manufacturers? I can’t wait to see a Spyderco with a location mark from Australia! 🇦🇺
-Nick :bug-red
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

IF spyderco got into the disposable razor market, theyd probably wipe out harrys, dollar shave, and all those other useless companies. Im using defender razor right now on a subscription and theyre nice, but Id drop them in an instant for spyderco
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:28 pm
IF spyderco got into the disposable razor market, theyd probably wipe out harrys, dollar shave, and all those other useless companies. Im using defender razor right now on a subscription and theyre nice, but Id drop them in an instant for spyderco
I highly doubt that would be true as the market is quite large. Why do you feel this way?
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Traditional.Sharpening wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:29 pm
I highly doubt that would be true as the market is quite large. Why do you feel this way?
Because spyderco has brand recognition, extremely serious customer loyalty, and above all else: Spyderco reeks of quality. Besides who better to make razors than a company that has spent what, 4 decades mastering the skill of making sharp edges?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:34 pm
Because spyderco has brand recognition, extremely serious customer loyalty, and above all else: Spyderco reeks of quality. Besides who better to make razors than a company that has spent what, 4 decades mastering the skill of making sharp edges?
1. Spyderco is almost completely unknown outside of knife enthusiasts.
2. They don’t make low cost high volume goods. Their products are generally not price competitive.
3. Manufacturing disposable razor blades is not the same thing as grinding blades.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks @Sal. Just keeping the dream alive.

You are welcome on the book. I am looking forward to the day when all of this comes together.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

Mike Blue wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:35 pm
Hello everyone. I'm Mike Blue. I mostly lurk here but after a discussion with Sal, I've been asked to post this subject and collect the thoughts of everyone willing to share.

Those of you who know Sal, may or may not know that he shaved with a straight razor for decades. I've made a few knives, learned a bit about steel and collected a great many friends similarly affected by the disease of steel over the years. I also shave with a straight razor.

What would you think if Spyderco added a straight razor to the product line?
I would buy it. :bug-red-white
Alex
Scientia et pax
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

alphaneuron9 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:48 am
Mike Blue wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:35 pm
Hello everyone. I'm Mike Blue. I mostly lurk here but after a discussion with Sal, I've been asked to post this subject and collect the thoughts of everyone willing to share.

Those of you who know Sal, may or may not know that he shaved with a straight razor for decades. I've made a few knives, learned a bit about steel and collected a great many friends similarly affected by the disease of steel over the years. I also shave with a straight razor.

What would you think if Spyderco added a straight razor to the product line?
I would buy it. :bug-red-white
Already in the works. Start saving your pennies. Sal said next year.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

If people knew how easy and cost effective it is to shave with an “old school” double-edge safety razor, all those subscription brands + the big name cartridge companies would go *poof* bye bye.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:29 pm
If people knew how easy and cost effective it is to shave with an “old school” double-edge safety razor, all those subscription brands + the big name cartridge companies would go *poof* bye bye.
You get better shaves, too.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am about to start learning something new. I know people who never have to hone their straight razors. They keep a diamond pasted balsa on hand and lightly strop the razor before regular leather stropping. They tell me it will make the edge so sharp some don't like it and some love it. I was given some diamond paste in .5um, .25um. and .1um. My acrylic bases for the balsa arrived today, and my balsa should be here in another day.

I'll let you all know how this goes. If this works, then what it means is that a person can have their Spyderco straight razor professionally honed and never have to learn how to do that or send it out ever again.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I got my balsa and my acrylic bases. I have to cut the balsa to fit the bases (12x3) and glue them together. Then, I have to take some 400 grit dry sandpaper and lap the balsa to make sure it is perfectly flat. Once that is done I can put a tiny about of compound on each board, a different grit on each, and spread it out really well. Then, I will be ready for stropping my razors. Great project.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:24 am
I got my balsa and my acrylic bases. I have to cut the balsa to fit the bases (12x3) and glue them together. Then, I have to take some 400 grit dry sandpaper and lap the balsa to make sure it is perfectly flat. Once that is done I can put a tiny about of compound on each board, a different grit on each, and spread it out really well. Then, I will be ready for stropping my razors. Great project.
Eager to see pics when you're ready, Dan. Sounds like fun. Is that razor you posted the pic of on the quilty fabric (nice pic) what brand is it? Is the type of steel known? Saw an interview with Larrin where he recommends Aebl or 14C28N for razors (particularly the latter). Just wondering your experience.
Alex
Scientia et pax
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Very interested in this project Dan and you're results. And anyone who thinks there's controversy in sharpening knives has never hung out on a razor sharpening forum.