I sure would like something new...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: I sure would like something new...

Post by Woodpuppy »

I too was interested in something new… so BAM! Or should I say, TWANG!?

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Freediver wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:05 pm
I would be thrilled with some Ed Schempp designs.
I strongly support this too.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:35 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:24 am
not saying you're guilty of this, bolster, but i see the complaints about spyderco doing nothing but releasing different colors and steel combinations all the time, yet almost every exclusive run sells out in minutes. they're making tons of money on those exclusives and it's driving the expansion.

That's my understanding of the change in direction, too. It's just a different business model than before. Safer, more traditional, and more lucrative. I used to buy Spyderco for quality and wild new innovations. Nowadays I buy Spyderco for quality and past innovations. I understand the change and I'm very happy Spyderco is doing so well; it just doesn't stop me from wanting wild new offerings...once in a while...as in days gone by.

I hope my post reads more like a request than a complaint about their products, which are very good. I think Spyderco wants to know what's on the minds of its customers, and innovation is what's on mine.
No offense intended but I am kinda at a loss. Spyderco is an industry leader when it comes to innovation. I am a fanboi but it’s because they earned my admiration with more years than I’d like to admit of use of their products. What kind of innovation are you looking for?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:24 pm
Bolster wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
not saying you're guilty of this, bolster, but i see the complaints about spyderco doing nothing but releasing different colors and steel combinations all the time, yet almost every exclusive run sells out in minutes. they're making tons of money on those exclusives and it's driving the expansion.

That's my understanding of the change in direction, too. It's just a different business model than before. Safer, more traditional, and more lucrative. I used to buy Spyderco for quality and wild new innovations. Nowadays I buy Spyderco for quality and past innovations. I understand the change and I'm very happy Spyderco is doing so well; it just doesn't stop me from wanting wild new offerings...once in a while...as in days gone by.

I hope my post reads more like a request than a complaint about their products, which are very good. I think Spyderco wants to know what's on the minds of its customers, and innovation is what's on mine.
No offense intended but I am kinda at a loss. Spyderco is an industry leader when it comes to innovation. I am a fanboi but it’s because they earned my admiration with more years than I’d like to admit of use of their products. What kind of innovation are you looking for?
I wasn’t being asked but personally, I want to see some design innovation again. Even before Sal confirmed it in this thread, I was optimistic that we would see more of that after their expansion was completed. I’m excited for what’s to come! :bug-red

The amount of truly new designs being released feels like it has slowed down a lot in the past few years though. Personally I find it difficult to call things like blade shapes, size variants, FRN conversions, etc. as truly new. It feels more like going back to the well instead of creating something new that adds to the well, so to speak.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:51 am
Fireman wrote:
Bolster wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

I wasn’t being asked but personally, I want to see some design innovation again. Even before Sal confirmed it in this thread, I was optimistic that we would see more of that after their expansion was completed. I’m excited for what’s to come! :bug-red

The amount of truly new designs being released feels like it has slowed down a lot in the past few years though. Personally I find it difficult to call things like blade shapes, size variants, FRN conversions, etc. as truly new. It feels more like going back to the well instead of creating something new that adds to the well, so to speak.
I think the base is so used to so many new offerings that perspective may be lost. Think of some of the other makers and how much innovation is going on there. Not too much. I am all for new and exciting things but look at the plethora of offerings that Spyderco has produced over the years.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:00 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:51 am
Fireman wrote:
Bolster wrote:

I think the base is so used to so many new offerings that perspective may be lost. Think of some of the other makers and how much innovation is going on there. Not too much. I am all for new and exciting things but look at the plethora of offerings that Spyderco has produced over the years.
Looking at the plethora of offerings produced over past few years is kind of the crux of my position. I’ve paid close attention to their catalogs for many years now and there has been a clear and notable change in direction over the past few. Specifically with an increase in simple variations and decrease in design diversity. Believe me, I’m as much of a fanboy as anyone but I believe you and I just have a different perspectives.
-Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Fireman wrote:

If I read your comments at face value, Fireman, then I agree with you. You say “they earned my admiration with more years than I’d like to admit” and “look at the plethora of offerings that Spyderco has produced over the years.” I notice you specify ‘over the years’ in both cases, and in the long view, I very much agree with you.

The last year or two, not so much—not like it used to be. But maybe we will see a renaissance after the expansion is complete. There do seem to be hints of it.

Being a fellow Spyderco die-hard, I’m more inclined to grumble a little and just save up for future Spydercos, than jump ship to some other company. Seeing Magnacut everywhere else is hard on me, though. I like Spyderco knives enough that I’m willing to tie a knot and hang on.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:22 pm
Fireman wrote:

If I read your comments at face value, Fireman, then I agree with you. You say “they earned my admiration with more years than I’d like to admit” and “look at the plethora of offerings that Spyderco has produced over the years.” I notice you specify ‘over the years’ in both cases, and in the long view, I very much agree with you.

The last year or two, not so much—not like it used to be. But maybe we will see a renaissance after the expansion is complete. There do seem to be hints of it.

Being a fellow Spyderco die-hard, I’m more inclined to grumble a little and just save up for future Spydercos, than jump ship to some other company. Seeing Magnacut everywhere else is hard on me, though. I like Spyderco knives enough that I’m willing to tie a knot and hang on.
Supply chain disruption worldwide has put a monkey wrench in a lot of gears.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I have seen allot of great possible new models coming at the last Amsterdam meet.
But on the other hand Eric wasn’t as positive as Sal when talking about when or where they will be made. Almost every model that i know off and can not mention due to the silence agreement seems to be on the long road and most of them seem to haven’t even bin worked on by spyderco in the beginning of this year because of how Eric mentioned them and besides that also because most of them where still customs from the original makers. So i do not know what to expect but honestly at least for 2024 i still do not have much high hopes except for a number of sprint runs possibly. I really hope i am wrong but since the military 2 still isn’t flooding the forum yet and it was the main thing on the Amsterdam meet to be released i am really worried the drought will continue for awhile.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Not too worried. With an endless stream of home renovation / improvement projects in the pipeline, the only thing certain to take longer than the expansion is for my knife funds to fill up (or at least my ability to spend on knives with good conscience).
Would be cool to celebrate job well done with a new and interesting design when both Spyderco and myself get some breathing room on the other side of these most obvious and pressing milestones.