Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:56 pm
Yes, there are many MagnaCut models in the works.

sal
woot!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Sal's the best.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:26 pm
Is this definitely happening? If it does will that constitute the "pm3" designation? Or do we have to wait for major design changes in order for that to happen?
I think that would probably be too close to the Para 3.

If I recall, Eric confirmed at the Amsterdam meet that this is a production example so a step beyond prototype. I believe it was also reported that during the meeting he said they were planning on salting many of the golden models.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yeah, it's happening, we just don't know exactly when. Also, I agree, I doubt there would be a PM3, when we already have a Para 3.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Is this definitely happening? If it does will that constitute the "pm3" designation? Or do we have to wait for major design changes in order for that to happen?
It is definitely happening. This is still very much a Paramilitary 2 though, nothing about that is changing. This one will just be a Salt with Magnacut and G10 scales.

The Paramilitary 2 is such an iconic knife that it will probably be a while before it ever see’s a major update. If/when they ever decide to update it though, I think the name “Paramilitary 3” could be a possibility. “PM2” is just a nickname for the Paramilitary 2. “PM3” is often used as a misnomer for the Para 3 but if a “Paramilitary 3” came into existence, “PM3” would instantly have real meaning. Basically the long way of saying I think a “Paramilitary 3” and “Para 3” could co-exist in the same catalog.
- Nick :bug-red
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:32 pm
It is definitely happening. This is still very much a Paramilitary 2 though, nothing about that is changing. This one will just be a Salt with Magnacut and G10 scales.

The Paramilitary 2 is such an iconic knife that it will probably be a while before it ever see’s a major update. If/when they ever decide to update it though, I think the name “Paramilitary 3” could be a possibility. “PM2” is just a nickname for the Paramilitary 2. “PM3” is often used as a misnomer for the Para 3 but if a “Paramilitary 3” came into existence, “PM3” would instantly have real meaning. Basically the long way of saying I think a “Paramilitary 3” and “Para 3” could co-exist in the same catalog.
Good point about the para 3. I myself have even mistakenly called it "pm3" and even called the PM2 "para 2" before finding this place. I even first called the military the "paramilitary 1" until I was abruptly corrected by a dear friend.

Anyway, thinking on the same track, would a magnacut pm2 constitute a "PM2 Salt"? Would it be officially part of the salt line and be available with the traditional yellow/green scales?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:11 am
Anyway, thinking on the same track, would a magnacut pm2 constitute a "PM2 Salt"? Would it be officially part of the salt line and be available with the traditional yellow/green scales?
Take a look at the thread below from the Amsterdam Meet. Color may change, but this is a production sample. Scales will have the Caribbean style.
About mid way down on page 3.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94486&start=40
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
James Y

Post by James Y »

I personally would prefer a Magnacut PM2 Salt with the black G10 scales, like in the pics. Hopefully, that will be an option. I wouldn't really want it looking like the Caribbean's scales (even though I like the Caribbean), or in some bright, gaudy color.

Jim
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:28 am
I personally would prefer a Magnacut PM2 Salt with the black G10 scales, like in the pics. Hopefully, that will be an option. I wouldn't really want it looking like the Caribbean's scales (even though I like the Caribbean), or in some bright, gaudy color.

Jim
Being a production sample, I believe what you see is what you will get. It has the Caribbean style grooves but is in Black. My guess this one is all but done from a design standpoint and just waiting for production capacity.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Thanks Sal!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:
Hi Stas,

The new texture shown is to define the model as a Salt. In this case, Salts made in the Golden factory. There are no liners in the model shown so we can more easily create a Salt version.

sal
OK, I’ll expose my ignorance and ask how you’ve made the compression-lock without a liner.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

I’d imagine like the Para 3 LW - no liners as per standard PM2 or Para 3, just enough steel to support the compression lock.
No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I don't think anyone knows for sure, but as you said, it is very likely similar to the Para 3 LW.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

This is definitely the next PM2 in my collection, I'm kind of a late bloomer of a PM2 enthusiast, but a G10, Salt, lightweight-ish PM2 in Magnacut is kind of a mic drop on the pattern.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:32 pm
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but as you said, it is very likely similar to the Para 3 LW.
I don’t have a Para 3 of any kind, but I’m thinking I like the Para 3 LW solution (as seen in Eric’s really fine demonstration: https://youtu.be/Bq0c5JqCtU4?si=lthMMfQg_dmnm075) for the G10-milled PM2 Salt.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Stoked about linerless G10, but surprised the FRN PM2 still isn't out and getting the salt treatment first.
maansleroux

Post by maansleroux »

Freediver wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:40 pm
I’m afraid once this comes out there won’t be a reason for me to ever buy another knife again. Maybe Spyderco knows this and will take their time releasing it haha…
Haha yeah funny enough was thinking the same thing. Maybe Larrin will create a new steal that will make us buy again :bug-red-white
maansleroux

Post by maansleroux »

Spydiecologist wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:31 am
Stas wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:34 am
Curious about liners material on this bad boy.
Likely LC200N. All the hardware and screws on are LC200N on the Native 5 LW Salt in MC as far as I know. Which is awesome. Sometimes they use titanium clips and such too on Salt knives, but either way it’ll be something that is unlikely to rust
Yeah being a noob I didnt realise the value of "Salt" edition of Paramilitary 2 but yeah if they make it more corosion resitant all round using LC200N steel rather than G10 id love it. Even if it increases the price a tad. :bug-red
maansleroux

Post by maansleroux »

sal wrote:
Hi Stas,

The new texture shown is to define the model as a Salt. In this case, Salts made in the Golden factory. There are no liners in the model shown so we can more easily create a Salt version.

sal
A "Salt" Paramilitary 2 with Magnacut would be epic. Instant buy from me if all the parts used offer high corrosion resistance. :bug-red-white :bug-red-white
maansleroux

Post by maansleroux »

sal wrote:
Hi Stas,

sal
Wow awesome never thought Sal would reply to a newbies post.

Courier just dropped off my little Native Salt with Magnacut. Didn't quite realise how small and lightweight it is. Really awesome little knife to keep in a travel bag and use day to day.

Now the wait for the Paramilitary 2 "Salt" with Magnacut. I really hope all the parts used have high corrosion resistance (Magnacut, LC200N) including the scales.

Thanks for the reply Sal.

:bug-red-white :bug-red